Nickelback - When We Stand Together

Discussion in 'Other Music' started by Luke, Oct 29, 2011.

Erica

Erica Meh LPA Über VIP

2xPutt

2xPutt Well-Known Member

why does everyone hate Nickelback? is it just the cool thing to do any more? if you are public in saying you like Nickelback, will you be tarred and feathered, beaten and bruised in the streets? I realize a lot of their songs sound the same, I realize they don't really stray far from the lyrics they are most comfortable with, but there are FAR FAR worse things in the music world. I have to admit, Nickelback is a guilty pleasure of mine, I don't like or jam out to every single they have, but over the span of several CDs, I do like quite a few and the new CD is shaping up to be something slightly refreshing and I enjoy the two songs I've heard so far. not a troll post. :lol:

Jordan

Jordan Secret Robot

I honestly don't think there's anything in the music world that's as horrible as generic four chord hard rock creed covers, and Nickleback just happens to be the band from this style of music that gets the most attention - hence, I hate them the most. The lyrics in this song are so lazily written that it feels more like they're writing for a fuckton of money rather than genuinely wanting to stop war or whatever. Maybe I'm going overboard, but I (personally) can't listen to this without feeling like I'm contributing to the death of music. That's my opinion anyway lol.

hybridsoldier1989

hybridsoldier1989 strange things are afoot at the circle k

Agreed.

They could pass for Linkin Park lyrics.

hybridsoldier1989

Can't believe I'm doing this, but:

No, no more sorrow
    I've paid for your mistakes
    Your time is borrowed
    Your time has come to be replaced

Thieves and hypocrites!
    Thieves and hypocrites!
    Thieves and hypocrites!

If this isn't lazy, I am Chad Kroeger.

Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

Funnily enough, I don't think those are good lyrics either.

Are the Nickelback fans on the board going to accept that some people actually just don't like the band, or are they going to just keep slinging around baseless accusations of insincerity? That's pretty disrespectful too, y'know.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2011
    Jordan

Jordan Secret Robot

Ehh, I'll forgive you for not having read enough of my posts hybridsoldier, but I'm really not a Linkin Park fan at all now either. Bands really shouldn't write political songs if they're only willing to appear vaguely sure about what they support. A band like Propagandhi who while being so easy to disagree with in how militantly they talk about issues, at least talk about their beliefs freely and gain fans/turn off listeners as they go. Shitting out blurry, vague statements that are impossible to disagree with obviously directly target a mass appeal. Statements like "politicians have lied" (No More Sorrow) or "soldiers shouldn't be dying" (new nickleback from what I remember) illicit zero emotional response from me, at least.

hybridsoldier1989

lol, I don't know if you're referring to me, but I am certainly no fan of Nickelback. I can't stand them.

I just like to spark teh contraversie by copy pasting abysmal LP lyrics to upset fanboys in general. Sorry.

And no, I know of nobody's posting history and am sorry if I came across as being a dick to anybody in particular.

Jordan

Jordan Secret Robot

Okay, well, next time you try to "spark teh contraversie" by upsetting Linkin Park fans: 1. Do it in the Linkin Park section. 2. Commit a bit more; that was a pretty lazy display, no one even got angry at you! 3. Don't pose as a Nickleback fan. Spoiler alert though: It's easy, ultimately unfulfilling, and everyone will hate you.

Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

All I've seen are posts by people saying something general along the lines of "a lot of people don't like Nickelback because it's chique and cool", which is true for many people (see: YouTube commenters).

I haven't seen anyone call out a specific person and say "Y U NO LYK NICKELBACK? TEHY SO GUD!"

There's plenty of valid, legitimate reasons to dislike the band (repetitive, predictable, vocals aren't your thing, etc) and those have been expressed in here by some. But there is definitely reason, based on popular behaviour, for someone to question the real reasons behind the level of hate the band gets.

Stop trolling.

Jordan

Jordan Secret Robot

I think the hate for their musical content significantly outweighs people hating them because it's popular to (especially in a regular music listening community), that it can hardly be recognised as a factor.

In fact if someone was saying, as quoted "Y U NO LYK NICKELBACK? TEHY SO GUD!" I wouldn't care at all, as sometimes it's hard to see things from someone else's perspective (eg. I can't understand how anyone could dislike King Crimson). When people suggest haters are a part of a group who has conformed to an elitist opinion because it's the popular one, I'm a bit more cynical.

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

I don't like Nickelback because I find them generic, predictable and I don't think they bring anything original to the table. And before someone chimes in that Linkin Park were at one time the same thing (with Meteora), I'll respond with the fact that I'm well aware of that and that's why I almost stopped being a fan before Minutes came out and changed their style. Sure Minutes wasn't liked by a lot of fans (I personally think it's fantastic) but it paved the way for ATS. My point with Nickelback is that for a while they did pretty much the same thing with 3-4 albums, with literally no change at all. It's the same reason I stopped listening to Godsmack (although The Oracle wasn't half bad).

Mark

IMO, I think you're really understating it. It's especially prevalent where I live. Just type "Nickelback" into Twitter and watch the hate flow.

Besides, nobody is going to readily admit to being a sheep. And there's also no way to really quantify each of our assertions regarding the pervasiveness of the "trendy" haters vs. "musical opinion-based" haters. My opinion is based on my observations of general behaviour from my personal experiences.

The very existence of this thread kind of shines light on why I think the way I do.

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

Honestly, adding something to this...just so nobody accuses me of being a sheep, I *used* to like Nickelback. When "Too Late" came out I thought that song rocked hard and loved the sound of it. Then the other albums came out, basically all sounding the same...and my interest waned. I actually think "Hero" did it in for me. The song wasn't that good, and got over played.

Hybrid

Hybrid Has gone Rogue. LPA Team

I'm not a big of a fan as I used to be, but, I'm still a little bit of a fan. I don't really care if anyone else is or not. It's not like you are not being forced to listen to it or anything... If I like it, that's great. You don't have to. There are people out there who this music caters to. If you're not one of those people, go about ignoring it.

Jordan

Jordan Secret Robot

Okay, look at it from a different perspective: "How You Remind Me" was released in 2001. In 2011, we live in the fastest evolving society ever seen, and to younger people being trendy is more important than ever. While being trendy does require a certain amount of vintage-ism (let's excuse that: as far as 90s goes, it only works for Nirvana), Nickleback's glory days are ten years behind - and even then they were ripping straight from Creed, a band from even further back. The opinion that Nickleback are horrible would then appear to be based on them being lame and out of touch, and I see that as a valid criticism of them being predictable and uninteresting (and annoying) more than people hating them for not being trendy.

This may all be fairly obvious, but I'm just trying to highlight that Nickleback are so irrelevant to music today, that them still being around (thanks to whoever buys their records) has become painful for a lot of people who are sick of How You Remind Me and other washed up rockstar songs.

And if liking Nickleback once stops us from being "sheep", I liked them when I was 9 - but not as much as The Black Eyed Peas Feat. Justin Timberlake.

Hybrid

Hybrid Has gone Rogue. LPA Team

Maybe that's why I could still tolerate them... I don't care about trends. Thanks for pointing that out Jordan.

Mark

I think you're taking what I'm saying as "anyone who doesn't like Nickelback is a sheep to trends". As I said before, specific people in this thread don't have to prove they're not being trendy and hating on Nickelback because it's the popular thing to do.

Perhaps Nickelback is not relevant in your corner of the world, but the band is actually top-10 trending in Canada at this very moment because a group of people have formed together to try and stop the band from performing at a Detroit Lions game. They're less relevant, because if they were irrelevant then we wouldn't be having this conversation, would we?

Again, people have completely legitimate reasons to not like the band. I'm just saying that there are people out there who dislike Nickelback because its trendy, and its a larger group than you seem to think.

The funny thing about all of this is that I'm not a Nickelback "fan". I've never typed their name into YouTube to hear a song. I don't have any of their songs in my iTunes. I tolerate them when they're played on the radio or at sporting events. I made one observation at the beginning of this thread and have been defending it ever since.

Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

It's in this thread, in response to people saying they don't like Nickelback, with people actually using comparisons to Linkin Park and saying that LPA users would like this song if it were by anyone else. I think it's at least implicit that it might be aimed at people here.

And even if it is just supposed to be sweeping statements aimed at no one in particular, I think that isn't a lot better than me saying I don't think they're a good band a few times. I never brought their fans into it a

Erica

Erica Meh LPA Über VIP

I personally didn't know a damn thing about em until a couple years ago while I was in broadcasting school, me and my friend had our own radio show. We got in the argument who's better, Nickelback or LP? I did some "research" and their music was all the same, all so predictable, and I think it's Dark Horse that's just all about sex. They're boring. Its just the same kind of country hard rock mix every time and that sucks. They have the ability to write catchy hooks, theres no doubt. But its so uncreative at the same time. And I can say with complete confidence that if LP wrote those lyrics I would be horrified. I don't hate the song because its Nickelback (ok that may be part of it lol) but I mostly hate it because its cheesy and boring. I have reached a point where I am able to admit when a songs good even when I hate the artist or what have you, so this just isn't me hating on Nickelback to be popular or to be consistent or whatever. The music just sucks