No UK Tour for Living Things?

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by nathy137, Apr 10, 2013.

nathy137

nathy137 Active Member

As we are getting on in 2013 it doesn't seem like any more touring will be done this year for Linkin Park (with the exception of the japanese festivals) and that means no tour actually involving the UK on Living Things cycle.

Now this just seems strange to me, how they would miss out the UK, I mean maybe sales of LT weren't as good as everywhere else I don't know but to go to Europe, and not even do a proper tour in Europe as they were really only festivals doesn't really make sense to me as I know that Linkin Park still has a good fanbase in UK.

Any ideas as to why this has been the case with Linkin Park?

Blackee Dammet

Blackee Dammet Feminism Is My God Now

They didn't do much promoting of the album at all, really. Burn it Down got some, Castle of Glass was whored about in that terrible medal of Honor game that's only notable for effectively killing the series, but besides those the band seemed more focused on selling shoes and 'greatest hits' type shows than outright Living Things promotion.

Nobody's terrible sure why. Some argue that because "it's so formulaic and playing-it-safe!" that maybe the band just half assed the album in the first place, either for money or the all too common LABULL PRESSUUURE!!!11!, and so long as it sold respectably enough they weren't too concerned. I'm not too sure I buy that one.

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

Yeah. As has been discussed in other threads, some of the moves made to market the band's work during the last year were very lacklustre, some might say badly miscalculated

Brandon

Brandon I was Ree's 100th follower on Twitter.

Just out of curiosity, if you don't buy that theory, what else could it be? I can't really even think of any other reason for the marketing on this album cycle, other than Warner just kind of giving up a little bit on Linkin Park.

Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

Maybe the band doesn't have the energy to tour extensively like they once did. They have families and charitable endeavours taking up their time. There wasn't much downtime between the end of the ATS tour cycle and the recording of Living Things, so perhaps they're burned out a bit.

I do think it's a little ridiculous that they're not going a small jaunt through Europe, though.

I wouldn't rule out an eventual tour, though.

Apop

Apop LPA VIP LPA VIP

This. Not only is it ridiculous, I'm flat out stunned they aren't going to tour at all for Living Things in Europe. I don't think this has anything to do with label pressure. They're older now. People are used to the band playing as often as they did for Meteora. They've grown up and moved on to other things that take up time too. I guess they've set some new priorities as a band, but it wouldn't be the first time.

Qwerty19

Qwerty19 Well-Known Member

Well, there could be plently if you think more about it. First of it is LP not being aware of their bad marketing choices. Because, well, it's not like this record was not promoted at all. There was the huge promotion for BID, the MOH/COG promotion, those attempts to get the hype going with the scavenger hunt and LGM release,, the Vampire/Powerless thing. And LT already sold more than ATS, so I don't see why they should be worried about their promotion. And if they're not worried about it, there are no theories needed to explain their choices for bad marketing, since there is no "bad marketing" according to them. I'm not sure if I'm making sense there, but I understand what I mean :lol:

Or here is another theory I can think of about LT marketing. If LP is in the mood for releasing albums faster, they might also consider shorter marketing cycles the best option. Simply. If they keep promoting the same record for years (as they did with MTM for example), it would make the delay until their next record longer. The sooner they're done with a record cycle, the sooner they can begin to work on the next thing.

Also, what Mark said about their families and other priorities totally makes sense.

I ain't trying to proove anything, except for the fact that the "labul pressure" theory is far from obvious and that there are other possibilities if you look for them.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2013
    Brandon

Brandon I was Ree's 100th follower on Twitter.

I actually was just referring to the marketing, not the lack of touring. I understand that bit.

And yeah, I guess if they really are just moving on to new projects more quickly, then the promo cycle would obviously be shorter. But still...it just seems like this time was a lot more sloppy.

Apop

Apop LPA VIP LPA VIP

Maybe, like many have said Living Things may have been rushed, the decisions regarding the album were rushed as well. They may not have had as much time to develop and really concentrate on a single marketing strategy and just went along for the ride, thus creating all the random projects. Between remix contests, art contests, boots, greatest hits, movies, games, playoff promos, and music software, it could be possible they just accepted all the random projects they were offered.

The Joesen One

The Joesen One Fun-employed LPA Super Member

I was confident at first, but since they're hard at work for new music, I'm a little skeptical.

AND THEN LP SHOWS UP AND ANNOUNCES A MASSIVE UK, EUROPE AND ASIA TOUR. :adam:

The "they're older now, they don't have the energy" is a terrible theory. That doesn't stop bands who are actually older like Iron Maiden, Metallica, and even AC/DC and now Black Sabbath from doing massive tours.

AC/DC might not be the best example since they don't tour very often, but the energy Angus needs is insane. I mean, Black Ice tour had 168 shows.

Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

Citing examples of other bands who've continued touring well into their careers does not make it the rule for ALL bands. Countless bands have went on hiatus or extended breaks after a long time of non-stop touring/promotion/recording. Hell, Linkin Park did it between Meteora and Minutes To Midnight for a few months.