Official Playstation Thread

Discussion in 'The Living Room' started by Friskey™, May 15, 2005.

1. Tomi

Tomi   LPA Addict

I really wouldn't mind if Sony changed the case, as even though I'm a PS3 supporter, I don't really like the design/controllers.

And why don't they use water cooling? Isn't it possible, or do they already use it, but it's failing? :unsure:

2. Feenix

Feenix Well I Do

They are using water cooling. It's just not enough. Here,
    [​IMG]
    that picture shows a working Playstation 3 dev kit. This is what the Playstation 3 looks like at the moment. No joke, that is it. What you saw at E3 was probably just a box with nothing in it. It's what they want to end up with. But here's the problem. Your shrinking something the size of what's above into the thing you saw at E3. In doing that you need to cool it down obviously. The Cell processor was originally clocked at 4Ghz, because they could get away with it in a system that big. It was overclocked with a major cooling system. Right now it's 2.8 Ghz, it's supposed to end up at 3.6 Ghz.

The Cell processor and the RSX are extremely hot. The RSX burns out almost every time they try to get the thing running apparently. If you look at the case for the PS3 it actually has virtually no ventilation other than one of the small side. The design just isn't practical. They're trying to counteract overheating by simply turning down the power of the hardware. Doing so will lower the performance of the console.

The difference between the 360 and the PS3 that causes this problem for Sony is that the 360's architecture is unified. Sony have just slapped a bunch of parts together for the PS3.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Away from that, about the PS3 GPU. The RSX is a beast as is the PS3 as a whole. It does technically have the ability to number crunch almost 2 teraflops of floating point calculations while the 360 only pushes out a little over one teraflop. That really doesn't matter though because most games hardly use floating point calculations. Games rely on general purpose calculations which happens to be the 360's strong point. The Cell may be twice as powerful in something that games don't use but the 360 is three times as powerful as the PS3 in general purpose calculations. As MS said, their console is focused on making high powered games and not winning science awards.

3. LProx4life

LProx4life Well-Known Member

where do u get this u people sound smart.

4. Feenix

Feenix Well I Do

lol. i'm a big computer nerd. ^_^

"Yo mamma's a .dll file"

...man, that never gets old.

I bet that went right over your head. Nerds will laugh though.

5. LProx4life

Aw come on im a beginer im learning i want also to learn how to hack maybe ill become a hacker i hope i could learn someday.

6. Feenix

Feenix Well I Do

Shhhh, the mod's really aren't gonna like you saying things like that.

Besides, I'll tell you this, hacking is more work than it's worth. It's pointless and only serves to annoy people. If you're not careful you could end up with some serious criminal proceedings against you. Hacking serves no real useful or constructive purpose. Except with White Hats (They hack with the purpose of revealing exploits, so that manufacturers can fix them.)

Resource hacking is just about the only slightly useful thing out there. But still illegal. Those who know what it is will know why it's useful. I wont explain anymore as the mods will get mad.

7. LProx4life

Oh ok sorry about saying that i didnt know.

8. Tomi

Tomi   LPA Addict

lol. i'm a big computer nerd. ^_^

"Yo mamma's a .dll file"

...man, that never gets old.

I bet that went right over your head. Nerds will laugh though. [/b][/quote]
    :lol:!

I wouldn't be surprised if I was a white hat hacker one day. :mellow:

Anyways, they should change the design and fix up their water cooling. As right now, I wouldn't be surrpised if it got delayed till 2007 as mentioned.

9. Feenix

Feenix Well I Do

It probably will be delayed. 2007 might be a tad overboard. But the announced Sping 2006 date seems farfetched. At the moment, they basically don't have a console. Well, they do,it's just massive.

I can't help but laugh at all the old PS fanboys who kept saying "ooh, the Xbox is huuuge. It could cause an eclipse !!!11!!!1!!!ONE!!1"
    Because now, they will regret those words.

10. laolith

laolith Well-Known Member

i saw a ps3 on a pop up. then iclosed it and never saw it again... :argh: i feel pretty stoopid coz of that.... :wacko: o well. some one will probaly give me a sarcastic coment now, sayin was that post really needed? or something like that. :whistle:

11. Feenix

Feenix Well I Do

If i'm understanding you correctly, you're saying you haven't seen what the Playstation 3 looks like yet?

If that's the case, follow the link: -

http://www.ps3land.com/ps3-pictures/picture53.php

12. Aaron

Aaron Foundation LPA Super Member

Now, I wouldn't place any money yet that the PS3 will be that big, or anywhere around that size.

Think about this, almsot all of Sony's products are scalled down big time. Not to mention they have scalled down both the PS and PS2, but near the launch of a new system.

From what I think, what you have linked there is probably a development kit, which they claim to be signifiganty downsizing to increase the amount they can produce.

13. Feenix

Feenix Well I Do

Yes that's what i'm trying to say. The PS3 will shrink in size from the kit in that picture. However it will still be very big (wider than an Xbox, and at it's tallest point, probably taller). The thing they showed at E3 is what they want to end up with. But they're currently finding it impossible to get the console to that size without it overheating. So it might end up bigger than what you saw at E3.

They're trying to shrink the thing into the case that you saw at E3. The problem is that they're finding it impossible as the thing burns out almost every time they try to get it running. It will take them a lot of time and effort to get the thing to the size they want. They've probably got every single tekhed they've got working on it.

14. Dedicated

Dedicated LPA Addict LPA Addict

And you know this all how?

15. Feenix

Feenix Well I Do

I've browsed forum after forum reading up on it all. I find it all quite interesting actually. I am a complete nerd :teehee:

16. Aaron

I never said it would be smaller than the XBOX 360, in fact, what they reveiled at E3 was larger than the 360.

They'll probably shrink it into a case roughly the size of the one at E3, hell they may even release a different model from the one at E3.

Given the time periods and the amount of times Sony has delayed releasing a piece of it's equipment, they will probably wined the PS3 down to the wire in terms of size.

I'll say it again, don't put it past Sony to downsize on the PS3. But there's no doubt in my mind it will be larger than the PS2 (original) or XBOX 360. We're just going to have to wait for the Tokyo Game Show to find out how they're progressing. Not to mention they're supposed to have some demos.

Now, i can understand this. I may not be any computer or technical genious, but wouldn't it seem half smart to use the same casing and cooling idea placed in Apple's PowerMac G5?

17. Paul

Paul The Ultimate Victory LPA Super Member

Hate it or love it, SOCOM III will be the best online game of the next-gen. Fuck Halo 3.

18. Aaron

SOCOM III is for PS2. They're testing the BETA version right now and I believe it's supposed to be out later this year.

But I do agree, SOCOM II ruins Halo 2 in Online. It's far better.

19. Friskey™

Friskey™ LPA Super Member LPA Addict

SOCOM III is for PS2. They're testing the BETA version right now and I believe it's supposed to be out later this year.

But I do agree, SOCOM II ruins Halo 2 in Online. It's far better. [/b][/quote]
    According to Gamespot...it's coming out October 11th.

20. Aaron

According to Gamespot...it's coming out October 11th. [/b][/quote]
    That's why it isn't next-gen. haha.

But this game will define online gameplay at it's finest.