One More Light Cover: My tribute to Chester

Discussion in 'Your Projects' started by KarL_LewiS, Aug 10, 2017.

KarL_LewiS

KarL_LewiS Musician

About three weeks ago from the date of this upload, news broke that my hero and biggest inspiration, Chester Bennington, had passed away.

At first I didn't believe it was true, since the only source reporting the news was TMZ, but after Chester's bandmate Mike Shinoda confirmed it via Twitter, that denial quickly turned to shock and an indescribable feeling of sadness. I genuinely did not know what to do or how to proceed with my day. Eventually, I broke down into tears. I am still greatly upset about it three weeks later, and probably will be for some time to come.

Around the time the news broke, I was about to begin mixing a cover of one of Linkin Park's newer songs, 'Heavy', that I had been working on tirelessly in order to learn my new recording software and how to mix/master songs. However, after learning that my hero was no longer with us, I felt compelled to make a cover of this song, One More Light, in honor of him and as a testament to how music can change lives.

---

For the past ten years, since I heard What I've Done in the first Transformers movie, the music of Linkin Park has made an indelible impact on my life. Chester's singing and lyrics resonated with me so deeply during the 'awkward teenage years' of middle and high school (and still to this day), so much so that I started to learn how to sing.

As the years went by and I continued to practice singing (by attempting to mimic Chester's voice as a base for my own voice), I eventually started uploading Linkin Park covers to Instagram to share my voice with other people. Eventually, one of these covers (of the chorus of "Leave Out All the Rest") caught the attention of one of my now best friends, who was so impressed with it that he asked me to be the singer in his band.

Joining that band fundamentally changed my life in so many ways. It allowed me to get over my stage fright, learn how to express my feelings through music, significantly boosted my confidence, allowed me to make countless new friends who I am extremely grateful for, and let me feel for the first time like I was part of something important. Like I was doing something that really mattered to people and made them feel the same way Linkin Park's music made me feel. All of this resulted from my exposure to Chester's passionate and powerful vocals and lyrics.

Although my hero is at peace now, he still lives on in my heart and the hearts of millions of others whose lives were made better by his music. I want this video to be a testament to that fact; that music has the power to change people's lives. Chester was the ultimate proof of this, and he will be deeply missed.

Chester, I wish I could've seen you live in concert just once, and have gotten the opportunity to tell you face to face how important your music and voice are to me. You were far more than just one more light in the sky. You were an entire universe to the millions of people who loved you and your music, whether they knew you in person or not. Thank you for everything, Chester. God bless you, your family and friends, and rest in peace.

-Karl

Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
    Sasuke likes this.