Papa Roach

Discussion in 'Other Music' started by thatrsdude, Aug 26, 2005.

thatrsdude

thatrsdude Well-Known Member

I don't know that much about the band, but they seem to me to be the same sort of people as those friggin cool kids at school who used to harrass me and give me shit all the time unlike most bands who usually consist of more open minded people. I have read interviews where thy've bitched themselves about being bullied at school, but unlike many other bands who claim this, I don't believe them for a second.

I don't hate the band's music, some of their songs are alright (but there's plenty of other bands who do what they do better), but I seem to suspect that as far as the bands motives are concerned, they're a watered down pop band in disguise of being metal.

Let me make it clear again before anyone misses the point, I don't hate the band's music, but as far as I know about them, I don't like the band themselves at all. But I could be wrong which is why I'm putting this topic up. (although I don't know if any of you people on here are those sort of jocks as well, I dunno, please prove me wrong.)

Andrea

Andrea best friends. LPA Addicted VIP

I really don't get what you're saying. You're basically judging them based on what? You said yourself that you don't know much about the band. Maybe you should find out more about them before you judge them. If they said they were bullied in school then it's probably true. Their lyrics seem to reflect that. I don't see why they would lie about that.

Edit: and make the link smaller in your sig. It's stretching the forums.

El Muerto

El Muerto LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

Do some research before posting things like this.

thatrsdude

I posted this for that whole reason. To get some research from you people. I was only telling you what I SUSPECTED, not sure about, I wasn't claiming it to be fact and that's why I wanted you to reply. I was asking whether it was the case.

But I'll fix the sig.

As for the comment about what they write about, I've read a few accusations from otehr artists that a lot of nu metal bands nowadays only write about ti because it's the cool thing to do. That's not my opinion, I just want to know what you think.

I've based this on everything I've read about them, and now I'm turning to this site for more answers.

Logan

Logan Well-Known Member

the only thing i found a bit odd..is that they started wearing eyeliner all of a sudden..

Adam

Adam !!!! LPA Super Member

Hey, My Chemical Romace tried that and look what it did for them, and do I see anyone bitching about them lying about not being okay?

thatrsdude

Lots of bands wear eyeliner so that's nothing new...

Andrea

The fact is that Papa Roach never used to wear eyeliner and now they do. They're just another band that is following that trend.

Friskey™

Friskey™ LPA Super Member LPA Addict

The fact is that Papa Roach never used to wear eyeliner and now they do. They're just another band that is following that trend. [/b][/quote]
    But it seems like they're just wearing it for the sake of wearing it. I don't mind that at all, I think it just gives them a darker, more mature feel.

Anyways, I'm sure some bands have lied about them getting picked on or bullied or whatever. Maybe P-Roach are, maybe they aren't. Who knows? Most musicians anyway become musicians simply because they don't fit into society as well as others do, plus the fact they just want to party :lol:

Andrea

But it seems like they're just wearing it for the sake of wearing it. I don't mind that at all, I think it just gives them a darker, more mature feel. [/b][/quote]
    I see what you're saying, but if they are wearing it just for the sake of wearing it then I wonder why they didn't start wearing it a few years back then? It just seems awfully coincidental that they're wearing it now when other bands are doing the same thing.

Friskey™

I see what you're saying, but if they are wearing it just for the sake of wearing it then I wonder why they didn't start wearing it a few years back then? It just seems awfully coincidental that they're wearing it now when other bands are doing the same thing. [/b][/quote]
    It's like when Infest came out, they wore all black like everyone did back around in the "nu-metal" days.

See, i'm trying to do my best to not rip on the band, I have nothing but respect for the guys, they've helped me through some times.

Andrea

Heh...I'm ripping on them. :lol:

I've got a lot of respect for them as well. Their Infest album helped me through so much shit that I was going through at the time. It's just that I wish they would quit wearing the eyeliner. But whatever, it shouldn't be about eyeliner. It's all about the music.

thatrsdude

Who cares what they wear? I admit I have been a bit harsh in this topic, but at least I've given people something to consider. I probably am wrong about everything I said. But there's gotta be some band out there who's putting on an act...

But what I've said is a reflection on the effects of school bullying that I'm still recovering from, and one of them is the habit of bullying/accusing others of bullying to show your own position. Everyone's overly judgemental to some extent, and I apologize. Often these things are the result of reading other people accuse bands of this sort of thing, it's bloody annoying because then I end up being criticized for being everything I was against. I made a lot of this sound worse than it really is anyway.

Personally though their music is everything that's worst about nu-metal. But that's just me.

Friskey™

I love you :lol:

Ok, i'll be honest, Infest didn't really help me as much as Getting Away With Murder did for me. If GAWM didn't come out at the time where it did, it wouldn't be such a good album as I think it is.

Adam

Adam !!!! LPA Super Member

Almost every band out there puts on an act or a gimmick.

thatrsdude

I meant lying about being bullied.

Andrea

I don't think a band or artist is going to come right out and say, "hey, we lied about being bullied". Why would they anyway? I don't see why someone would lie about that. Believe what you want, I suppose.

thatrsdude

People would lie about it to hide the criticisms I mentioned above. As I've said, it's apparently the trendy thing to do, the "it's cool to be uncool" thing. Like the emo trend apparently.

I now feel remorse after a post I made on an Australian music video show guestbook slagging them off today... Oh well, it doesn't make me any worse than most other posters.

Luke

Luke Mind Your Manners. LPA Addicted VIP

Bands don't say they were bullied for the hell of it,bands will write music about personal experiences or a topical issue but they wont lie about themselves being bullied just to make money.

Papa Roach were awesome at the concert and Jacoby Shaddix is a joker,he put a trashcan over his head :lol:

palingenesis

palingenesis Well-Known Member

i try not to judge artists much based on their appearance but more on the content/sound of their music.