Physical v.s. Digital

Discussion in 'Other Music' started by Bradyoactiv, Sep 9, 2011.

Bradyoactiv

Bradyoactiv The world is your Cloyster LPA VIP

I agree, digital music is unnecessarily expensive. I can understand why CDs are the price they are, though. It cost me near $60 to have 10 physical copies of my EP printed. $10 of that was shipping. So if it's $5 approx. for each CD, you pretty much have to price them at $10-ish to make a profit and to make back what you spent getting them made.

I own a physical copy of Ghosts I-IV and I also very much love it!

Theazninvasion68

Theazninvasion68 It's like blood to a vampire, our tragic desire. LPA Super VIP

Physical. Not only is the artwork and whatever they include in there in your hands, but the feeling of opening a new music experience. It's much more satisfying to unravel it and open it, see it and pop the CD in.

Also, there is no AUX jack for my car :(

Jordan

Jordan Secret Robot

If you do it diy basically the same way CD duplication places do it (paper parts, cd cases, blank cds), you can make CDs at about $1 each. Sold my band's EP for $5, still made a decent profit.

Bennington_Hahn

Bennington_Hahn This goes out to everybody still hatin' LPA VIP

I'm with you their. And its not just digital music, but CD's aswell. Radiohead's "King of Limbs" came out in January at around £14 in HMV (£7.93 for digital download. £10 on its first release) And yet 8 months later its STILL £14!? Why? they usually bring the price of new music down each month. But it hasn't been the case here And people wonder why CD's don't sell anymore...

Super Sonic

Super Sonic The Hedgehog LPA Super VIP

This. Also, most of the cds i own are LP's.

$pvcxGhxztCasey

$pvcxGhxztCasey meanwhile... LPA Addicted VIP

If I love an artist, like I do Nine Inch Nails, I'll buy it. There, I said it. But that's the only time and it has to be for a good price with lots of extras. I buy vinyl sporadically, most recent one was the People's Key by Bright Eyes. Which included a SHIT TON of extra stuff, for like $35, so it was a good deal. I'm probably going to buy the new She & Him Christmas album on vinyl, because I don't own anything by them yet :( and I want to. I can give my kids that record, man. :p

but yeah besides that i love stealing music. but mainly just smaller artists, sometimes i'll grab something that's "popular" or whatever, like the new RHCP, but not usually. I guess I'm really fucking over the bands I like, but fuck them! They don't come to Tennessee, ever! So, what you're telling me is you don't really want me to support you!

This is how I validate it!

Tim

Tim My perversion power is accumulating LPA Super Member

Let's get digital, digital
    I wanna get digitaaaaaaaal
    Let's get into digital

El Muerto

El Muerto LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

Already did it haha

Tim

Shit. :lol:

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

With buying physical packages, I kind of mostly decide by the packaging. That's the part that's truly exclusive to the physical release and the reason I'd pick one format over another. I love to pre-order physical copies online 'cause a lot of artists will treat fans to cool stuff for that - autographs and T-shirts in particular. :)

Aside from that, there are just artists I'll always buy physicals from. :"

Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

Tim

"Angry Thoughts on a Tired Subject."

I think that sums up the latter half of Korn's career pretty well.

Bradyoactiv

Haha, speaking of Korn. I saw Brian Head Welch perform at LifeLight this year (big Christian music festival in South Dakota) and he was freaking awesome. He is everything without Korn.

Jeff

Jeff WORSHIP LPA Addicted VIP

Yeah, Korn's talent went away when Head left the band. :lol:

Vriska

Vriska Wiki Staff LPA VIP

There's only one artist, out of the hundreds and hundreds that I listen to, that I consistently come back to.
    If it's not Linkin Park, I don't care.

Jordan

Jordan Secret Robot

Like this dude's music, buuut:

Point 1: I'd rather pay more for gigs and tshirts than not be able to download music. Gigs and tshirts are things I want, not CDs.
    Point 2: Just because I didn't pay for an album doesn't mean I WOULD pay for it. There are statistics that show that the people downloading the most are the people buying the most as well.
    Point 3: As far as his "proof" goes, I can think of way too many artists (probably not independent record shops however) that actually tell people to download their shit. In fact, I don't think anyone would even care about Frank Turner if it wasn't for illegal downloading...
    Point 4: Bad analogy: Money paid for a car and money paid for petrol don't go to the same people, and you don't need tshirts to play a CD...

As far as I see it, recorded music is more of an advertisement for tours at this point in time. And although it's sad that musicians can't make much of a living playing music anymore, you have to address the listener's wants in order to get people to listen to your music.

Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

1. Same.
    2. He doesn't really try to tar all downloaders with that brush though. Also, some other argument about the way statistics are read tat I can't be bothered to type out on my phone. Will try to later.
    3. It's kind of an apocryphal argument either way.
    4. I think that's part of the overall argument he's trying to make. There are people who are involved in the process of putting together an album who won't necessarily be reimbursed if people only pay for the live performance.

Bradyoactiv

What about artists that can't/don't tour or don't sell t-shirts? Would you still download their music illegally then even though that's a source of income for them?

Astat

Astat LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

You can actually still turn a decent profit by selling at a low price even if you go through a professional CD manufacturer. My old band did our EP through DiscMakers, a run of 100 discs cost us like $229, and we sold them for $5 each, so we still made back over double what we spent. If you go the home recording route and don't have to spend anything on studio/equipment rental (our only recording expense was gas to get to and from our studio), you can pretty much go all-out on the physical release side of things and still make a bunch of money, the only catch is that places that do CD manufacturing give you BIG discounts on bulk orders, so it's not nearly as cost-effective to do a small run like what AttackTheMind did.

tROCKS24

tROCKS24 Banned

ah, good question. my answer is that i'll do both. I would buy a cd and download it on my mp3. cd is always for home use since cd players are out of style now. Its always good to have a copy. mp3 downloader songs are good too. i don't know how to download all songs from an album yet. you just reminded me :uh:. i use my mp3 when i am on the go like walking on campus at school...you know on the travel.

so, cd benefit= can have all or most of your fav. songs played loudly on steryeo or cd player. you have the names on all of the songs too. you can play cd's in car depending on car.

mp3 benefit= you can use this to travel with plus mp3's are shorter and longer lasting than cd players. i'm not sure if you can hook your mp3 to car, but i think you can by usinng the AUX? never actually tried it tho. it is there for that use :)

a backup plan, before downloading song to mp3, it'll already be saved in downloads in your computer. i now, listen to my computer esp. while doing my homework instead of listening to my mp3 or cd electronic user. the computer have to have speakers for you to hear the music*

one quick short cut for the digital world: use amazon.com. they are good at listing the songs of a particular album from a specific group. Plus, they'll give you short samples to listen to of each song. in your search, be sure to be as most specific as you can. You can start off by using the google search engine: "list all of the songs from Linkin Park's latest album on amazon.com" something like that and it should work. or if you know the year that album came out, you can put "list all of the songs from Linkin Park in the year of 2012." and to be even more specific, you can put: "[list all of the songs from the album] Min. to midnight by Linkin Park. be sure to spell out all of the words*** and enjoy!!! i do all four: cd, digital, computer, and amazon use all of the time without buying something from amazon!!

Last edited: Sep 16, 2011