Poll: Do You Want Another "A Thousand Suns" Or Another Change In Direction?

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by Derek, Apr 10, 2011.

?

ATS 2.0 or a Completely New Sound?

1. I think LP was perfect with ATS, I'd prefer this to be their new sound.

7 vote(s)
    13.2%
  2. I don't want any Linkin Park record to sound the same from this point forward.

46 vote(s)
    86.8%
    travz21

travz21 Muscle Museum LPA Super Member

Once you go computer oriented, you can make a wide variety of things without sounding stale. Synthetic sounds are a wonderful thing. They can make 10 more records like ATS and probably not sound similar. Whereas even if they use distorted guitar again, even in a heavier or more talented way, it will still sound similar to Meteora and Hybrid Theory.

iamsatan

iamsatan Well-Known Member

I want something new, I want to be shocked again.

GekiLPL

GekiLPL Guest

I love HT, Meteora, MTM and ATS all equally, the reason I love them all equally is because they are all significantly different from each other (except for HT and Meteora maybe). Meteora was still different somewhat though I guess. Anyways, what I'm saying is that I want their next album to sound different than all the others.

Blackee Dammet

Blackee Dammet Feminism Is My God Now

I'd just like for them to quit being so reliant on keyboards and samples and computers. I'd really love for them to make something on a computer they really liked, and then try to recreate it with actual instruments.

Vriska

Vriska Wiki Staff LPA VIP

:cool: ATS was closer to the original spirit of HT than Meteora or MTM ever was.

What I want in a nutshell. Screw the poll options, this is what i vote for. I can't pick between them anyway. I love ATS so much that I'll be absolutely be perfectly happy with a follow up. On the other hand, LP can do something different every time until people learn to give them freedom... at the risk of having to hear another album like MTM again.

Nooooo. LP are terrible at political lyrics. They're all vague and toothless. Political songs are all about motivating people, and they never get specific enough to target a particular person or issue. They keep wussing out at calling someone out, and that makes their "political" songs boring.

The basic point is that this poll can't represent the entire fanbase because we don't know how we represent the others. You all agree.

travz21

travz21 Muscle Museum LPA Super Member

I hope they just write trippy, nonsensical lyrics like some Tool songs or The Mars Volta. Or I hope they make a real concept album and tell a fictional story through their music and lyrics (The Downward Spiral, Year Zero, Frances The Mute). All other types of lyrics are either cheesy or cover topics that are uninteresting. Who wants to hear political, love, or angsty lyrics over and over?

Death Slayer

Death Slayer Julian

Honestly I found it rather surprising that you were the one to open this post instead of... well you know who I mean.

ATS is good, it's the best of LP as far as I've heard of, but sometimes enough is enough,
    I think that this style isn't one that should last longer than an album.
    Of course it would be fabulous if they continue to mix some ATS elements into future records, but to make ATS part II that tops ATS isn't that much daring and interesting anymore.

That being said though, I am welcome to their 'direction' of making 'album-albums'

Snail

Snail LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

^Yes.

Honestly, I think the band probably takes it out of context when folks ask for "more of the same". I'm positive that most of the 'level-headed' fans out there are merely preening for an evolution of the unique, and ambient sound that they established a decade ago. Some may argue that 'A Thousand Suns' is the answer for that demand; I say there's still a ways to go in terms of implementing Shinoda's hip hop flair in a stronger light.

Serenity

Serenity Suffocating in the mess

[​IMG]

Super Sonic

Super Sonic The Hedgehog LPA Super VIP

All I want is more rapping from Mike and I will be pleased with anthing.
    Also, I want to hear a song where Mike raps the verse and sings the chorus. :)

Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

Blackee Dammet

Blackee Dammet Feminism Is My God Now

That's really how Linkin Park write lyrics about any subject, though.

Why would I not be serious?

SecondCityKids

SecondCityKids Hey John, What's Your Name Again? LPA Super Member

I don't care what it sounds like as long as it sounds good. If they decide on staying with a ATS style then fine but if they keep trying other things then that works as well.

Niklas

Niklas BadaBinge LPA VIP

hmm, i think that LP should go for a different Sound on their upcoming records. imo they`ve perfected the '"ATS"-Sound (if this paraphrasing makes sense) , so it`s just a logical consequence to go even beyond the know achieved sound scheme.

but: i`m not sure, if LP will do such a drastic shift in sound on the follow up to ATS. they could play the "safe" card and try to perfect the ATS sound even further, if that`s even possible.

Benjamin

Benjamin LPA team LPA Super VIP

I personally love the lyrics of Hands Held High, The Catalyst, etc.

Jeff

Jeff WORSHIP LPA Addicted VIP

Eh, each to their own. Hands Held High remains my second favorite track on Minutes to Midnight, just before In Between.

Doris The Spider

Doris The Spider Who-ligan

Another "A Thousand Suns" would be cool but something different would be cool too. Either way I'll be happy.

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

I love "A Thousand Suns" ... but I don't want another album like it from the band. :)

Vriska

Vriska Wiki Staff LPA VIP

It works for everything else, just not for political songs.

arbiter

arbiter Well-Known Member

i don't know. :hmm:I'm sure Bush was called out very specifically in Hands Held High. The only way they could make it any more obvious was if they used his name. I love their political lyric writing style. And different people have their own version of what a political song should sound like so i doubt everybody will hold the same opinion as you or me. Hands Held High to me was both powerful and beautiful at the same time because it captured the way i feel about the specific issue it painted.

And besides, if LP were to write a hypothetical "political" album, people would scream bloody murder like they did when they thought The Catalyst lyrics was about religion and ranting everywhere about how they hate the thought of LP shoving their religion down their throat and whatnot and how it was cliche and selling out and awful. Just switch religion with politics. For some reason, people get butthurt and over sensitive when it comes to things like that. ;)