Music Post your music sketches

Discussion in 'Your Projects' started by Modern Guitar God, Aug 16, 2016.

Modern Guitar God

Modern Guitar God Nets 2021 LPA Super VIP

HI

Hopefully this isn't an annoying or obnoxious thread idea to anyone..

The premise is simply to post whatever quick, spontaneous musical idea you came up. This could also be a good opportunity to get feedback on something you're not too sure about.

If this thread seems not worthy of being here, let me know and I can delete no problem. The reason why I made this is to provide more of a communal review or opinion table. I know some people post for opinions on quick ideas in their own music threads and get ignored. So you may be heard here.

Anyway.. this is some of my bullshit:

https://soundcloud.com/tvilaysack/lie
    https://soundcloud.com/tvilaysack/1996a
    https://soundcloud.com/tvilaysack/core
    https://soundcloud.com/tvilaysack/notorious
    https://soundcloud.com/tvilaysack/nothing

Last edited: Aug 16, 2016
    Captain-EO likes this.
    lime treacle

lime treacle You are not alone Über Member

When I saw the title of this thread, I thought it was for drawings and got really excited. Then I got slightly disappointed. :lol: maybe I could make an artwork equivalent of this.

Still listened to all these tracks!

Lie: Calmed me down. Very pretty, though it ended pretty abruptly.
    1996: Sweet, sounds like a cool background track. Wouldn't mind some more variation if this were to be made a complete instrumental track.
    Core: Reminds me of those tunes they'd play in CSI during the silent investigative lab sequences. Some nice intensity going on here.
    Notorious: I like the atmosphere; I think it might be help if the kick weren't so locked to the melody, though.
    Nothing: Honestly, I find that snare sound a bit annoying. :lol: But the rest is fine.

I enjoyed a lot of this! I suppose my biggest gripe with it, though, is the lack of originality – it doesn't exactly sound like anything I haven't heard before. (Do note, though, that this is coming from someone who has no experience in making music digitally.) Keep going at it because there's a lot of potential here.

Modern Guitar God

Thanks Robert. Yeah, the title is misleading LOL. My fault - I did add the "MUSIC" prefix though, so hopefully that'll catch peoples' eyes.

Also, thanks for listening to everything. Most people honestly don't do that for me. I'm sorry that none of my music is actually finished or worked over. It was all just ideas I wrote into Logic quicky. Most of the tracks are from around 2008, so I was like 19 at the time. Wish I was still 19 actually....

I really appreciate the honesty! I do get that my music lacks originality - for the most part I was trying to study and imitate people that I listen to. I don't feel very confident about my own style of music. I really wish I had people around me to tell me what I need to change, in my personal life.

Don't really have much else to say. I'm just playing guitar and piano now rather than actually producing and making music. But yeah, EVERYONE ELSE if you want to post some random beats or sketches in here, go for it :shifty:

Captain-EO likes this.
    TheInterframe

TheInterframe Well-Known Member

Modern Guitar God

This is gorgeous and elegantly produced. Would love to hear more. No comments because the other elements recommended are obvious - another melody, add section b+c, etc.. Good start though

If you don't finish it, I get that because I'm the same way :lol:. Thanks for responding to this thread btw

Last edited: Aug 19, 2016
    Captain-EO likes this.
    Elaine

Elaine The One They Call Elaine. LPA VIP

Modern Guitar God likes this.
    Modern Guitar God

I like these. I would say to try finding better drum samples to use - if not layer your drums (2 kicks over each other, 2 snares over each other, etc). Something I used to do was have a distorted or effected kit playing under a "normal" kit. Also try adding a touch of reverb to your melodic instruments and/or using a spacing/dimension plug-in to spread out the sound of the chords.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2016
    Captain-EO likes this.
    Modern Guitar God

Last edited: Sep 27, 2016
    Captain-EO likes this.