Post your musical discoveries!

Discussion in 'Other Music' started by Qwerty19, Dec 28, 2012.

Qwerty19

Qwerty19 Well-Known Member

So...I made this thread for all of you to share records by new artits/bands that you've discovered recently and that you find great :)

It would be interesting if we kept it undergound, by trying to share bands that people have probably never heard of before (yeah, that's a little hipster, but oh well :lol:). Goal is not to say "Look at how I listen to rare music!", but to let people discover new cool music :)

So, just descibre the record briefly, and maybe say what you think are the must-heard tracks.

Anyway, here's Crypts by Crypts!
    00056419.jpg
    https://soundcloud.com/sargent-house/completely-fucked?in=sargent-house/sets/crypts-crypts-1

I would classify this record as an electro-noise album, which takes influences from acts such as NIN, Ministry, Crytal Castles, M83, or Prodigy, maybe even Death Grips. Some eerie tracks, some distorted noisy-as-fuck tracks. It's really weird on first listen, but it grew on me really fast. It's been released in september 2012.

Favorite tracks: Territories, Smut (the end of this track....<3), Breathe

Your turns! :)

Last edited: Dec 28, 2012
    minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

I know I've brought up Twin Shadow fairly often recently (at least, it feels that way to me) but, yeah - earlier this year, I fell in love with his 2012 album, "Confess". :) It's basically ... melancholic 80s-new wave-revivalist pop with influences from R&B and alternative rock.

My favourite tune from "Confess", and one of my favourite songs from this year, is the second single, "Patient".

More recently, I've been listening songs by pop artist Foxes, whose vocals appeared on a tune by Zedd called "Clarity". She doesn't quite have a discography to speak of other than a series of singles and whatnot but you can hear most of the songs she's released - as well as various remixes of said songs - on SoundCloud.

Somebody, somewhere, once described Foxes as a cross between Florence Welch and Katy Perry. I don't know if that's an apt description but I do think it's an accurate description of "Youth" at the very least.

Lastly, I'm checking out an album called "Red Night" by an electronic duo called The Hundred In The Hands because Elaine's gushing about one of the songs ("Keep It Low", which appears on Shinoda's "Best of 2012" playlist) made me curious. :) Haven't heard much yet, but what I have heard has simply blown me away. I'd compare them to one of my favourite groups, Phantogram, but their sound is far more ... expansive.

I'll update this post as I remember more stuff that I came upon earlier in 2012

Last edited: Dec 28, 2012
    Brandon

Brandon I was Ree's 100th follower on Twitter.

I found this little group called High Highs a year or so ago on bandcamp. They're about to release their first album Open Season in January. Their song Open Season is being used in an...amazon.com ad? I think? I know it's been on TV.

http://www.highhighs.com/

[video=youtube;H58qLxfggBY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H58qLxfggBY[/video]

Very electronic, ambient, shoegaze-y, kind of folk-y.

Qwerty19

Ahah, yep, those seem to be awesome!. I was definitely hooked by "Keep It Low" when I heard it in Mike 2012 playlist, and all the other tracks I've heard so far are killer. Great find :)

@ Xero21 : chilling song! Especially liked the vibe of the clip

RyRy

RyRy LPA VIP LPA VIP

Zak

Zak HEY, EVERYONE! GET IN HERE!

I've just discovered an artist called NumberNin6. This is definitely my favourite track from them:

Last edited: Dec 30, 2012
    lime treacle

lime treacle You are not alone Über Member

For more than a year, I've been a fan of the British band White Lies. I didn't really discover them recently and they've received moderate success, but they're an indie band, therefore not very well known and I want to introduce them.

The first song I heard from them was To Lose My Life, from their debut album of the same name that was released in early 2009. My first thoughts were that they were weird. On MTV, their then-future concert in Ljubljana, Slovenia was being promoted to viewers. I was wondering who were these new guys and why are they promoting them so much.

But it wasn't until their second album, Ritual, was released in early 2011, when I began to like them. I loved the lead single, Bigger Than Us, and I started to check out their music. By the autumn of 2011, I was a big fan and since then they've been one of my favorite bands.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Songs I recommend: Death, Unfinished Business, To Lose My Life, Bigger Than Us, Bad Love etc.

The music of White Lies has been compared to the works of Joy Division, Editors, The Bravery and Interpol. They are currently working on their next album that is set to be released in 2013.

Just gonna list all the bands I found in 2012.

The best is probably Sacred Mother Tongue who are easily the best metal band from the UK since Iron Maiden. Checkout their song "Evolve/Become" it is an absolute banger.

Silent Descent - trance and death metal, bit of a nu-metal, dubstep mixed in there too
    In This Moment - Love their latest album Blood, one of my favs this year
    Kvelertak - Brilliant, just brilliant. Have a hint of AC/DC to them
    Falling In Reverse - I quite like them
    Manowar - good ol' 80s metal
    Crossfaith - electronic and metal mixed, similar to Silent Descent - have a killer cover of The Prodigy's "Omen"
    Ihsahn
    Accept
    Skip The Foreplay
    Infected Mushroom - drum n' bass with a rocky edge

Zane

Zane WARRIOR PRINCESS LPA Team

of Verona: Great indie-futurerock-alternative band with a wonderful, beautiful, and talented female vocalist named Mandi Perkins.

Imagine Metric + Lights + Ellie Goulding + touch of Linkin Park

[​IMG]
    The White Apple by of Verona

Check Them Out on Spotify

Tracklist:

1 Castles
    2 Match*
    3 The Enemy
    4 Dark In My Imagination*
    5 Take Me
    6 Centipede
    7 The White Apple*
    8 Unique In Its Madness*
    9 Paint The Pictures
    10 We Are Not Alone Here
    11 Raining*
    12 They Will Fall Like Roses*

*Highlights of Album

TheZlajaZlo

TheZlajaZlo Closing LPA Super Member

^ great stuff

Qwerty19

Damn, Crossfaith are indeed awesome. Omen cover kicks ass and so does their song "Photosphere" and "Monolith". It's like a more metal Enter Shikari.

Of Verona, I've only listened to Paint The Picture/The Enemy so far, but sounds pretty promising too. I will definitely check more of those 2 bands. :)

I've already know White Lies for 3 years or so, loved their first record, still hasn't listened to the 2011 one though.

Zane

I'd definitely recommend Dark In My Imagination, They Will Fall Like Roses, and The White Apple.

lime treacle

Of Verona, I forgot about them! Amazing band!

Qwerty19

They Will Fall Like Roses is stunning!

The girl really has a beautiful voice.

Zane

I know right!?! I immediately thought of The Catalyst with the structure and breakdown, except They Will Fall Like Roses is better!
    Its second half has the exact same pacing as In My Remains, too!

Qwerty19

^Now that you're saying it, yes, structure is really similar to The Catalyst. I also though the melody had a kind-of LP vibe in the first half. And also, I enjoy that little synth/keyboard melody in the "everything you touch" part a lot!

Zane

I love of Verona! It's just this perfect balance between their own unique sound and electro-pop-rock-indie-grandness and a little Linkin Park.

I love the outro half. Her voice just sends chills up my spine and that guitar melody is A-MAZING

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

NumberNin6's tunes were a big part of my introduction to dubstep (as it is now) back in 2009. I found out about him when Innerpartysystem plugged his remix of their song "Last Night In Brooklyn" - definitely one of my favourite dubstep tracks of all time. :)

Decay

Decay Well-Known Member

This: https://soundcloud.com/xxyyxx

I was listening to some music on Youtube while working on school stuff (this was in school). Saw a guy named XXYYXX on my screen and told a friend 'dude lol, look at this, what a strange name'. Gave him my headphones and put it on. Surprisingly, he liked it. Listened to it myself and yup, digged it as well.

Funny how things turned out to be, one minute I'm laughing with the dude's name, the other minute I'm liking his music lol

lime treacle

I recommend "Castles" for anyone trying to get into of Verona.