Post Your Reviews Of ATS In Here -SPOILER THREAD: STAY OUT IF YOU ARE WITHHOLDING!-

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by Jeff, Sep 7, 2010.

Jesse

Jesse Out of the abyss. LPA Über VIP

Here's a door, I suggest you walk out of it.

[​IMG]

Or you can just 'try to catch up.

El Muerto

El Muerto LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

I agree, you can't call an album a masterpiece after only a couple of days. I also agree that it's pretty much hit or miss and I seriously doubt it will leave any significant mark in the music industry.

But yeah, some parts of the album sound really really good.

Jordan

Jordan Secret Robot

Yeah I'll be out the door back into the other music section in a week or so, wouldn't worry too much about it if I were you.

xpandnz

xpandnz Member

There are certainly a lot of good things about this album. But saying things like 'this is the best Linkin Park album to date' or 'Here's a door....', well, it just shows how brainless people can be.

Let me put this into perspective.

Hybrid Theory, for what it is worth, was for me the most stupid album I heard when I was 17, as it had just come out. It was rubbish commercial nu-metal wanna be shit. BUT..... I grew to love it to bits and is actually one of my all time favourite albums.

For a lot of people, this album is not going to sit well. In fact, I will say right here that this album is gonna make or break all the LP fans who want the HT commercial crap to come back. Its sad. I mean, you give me one day and I promise you I could write a song like something off HT. Its easy to do now. That sound has been exhausted.

However, this album is not the greatest LP album to date. Far from it. Every LP album is the best to date because they are all different. They all have different pros and cons and if you were to rename the band to Park Linkin, you probably would assume that ATS is from a totally different artist (other than the voices of Chester and Mike, that shit is unique.)

What I am saying is, to those that hate, all good. Let it sit with you for a while. You cannot really take in this album within 1 day. For some people, like myself, who studies music and can talk the lingo, it can come quite easily because I am listening to things most people are not. I can hear all the craft that went into the songs and I produce music myself and there is some technical stuff happening which is just mind boggling.
    In saying that though, you really don't have to know anything about music to tell whats good or whats bad but sometimes it helps. If I were to look at a piece of art, like a painting, it may seem abstract and shit to me but to someone who knows about the process it may be a master piece.

Just enjoy the album and soon it will click. But please, stop talking crap about its the greatest album ever or their best to date. Meh, its ALL GOOD!

We cool?

Jesse

Jesse Out of the abyss. LPA Über VIP

:lol:

Dude, I admit I overreacted but you can't say what people can or can not consider the album to be. That's just plain stupid.

Edbert

Edbert Well-Known Member

The night I listened to the leaked ATS, I had a headache so all the songs were very average to me except for The Messenger which I loved at first listen. But the next day, when my headache was gone, I listened to the album again and again. All the songs were really good and I absolutely loved ATS.

So here's my review and rating of the entire album. (PS: I already pre-ordered the album, so technically I'm not downloading it illegally xD)

1. The Requiem - 8.6/10 - It builds up very slowly. A relaxing track that shows a glimpse of what is about to come. PS: Mike sounds funny as a girl.

2. The Radiance - 8.9/10 - I wonder why this track was separated from The Requiem, but the speech and heartbeat drum made my heartbeat faster. In my mind, I was thinking "Something huge is about to come"

3. Burning in the Skies - 8.9/10 - Not my favourite but very good track. The only song with a guitar solo in it. XD

4. Empty Spaces - 8.7/10 - This felt in place for the album. Short+crickets=love xD

5. When They Come For Me - 8.4/10 - THIS SONG IS SO WEIRD. I would never expect LP to have a track with "Arabian-style?" vocals, African drum beat, rapping, and swearing!!! WTH... I loved this because the lyrics were so weird... I love the weirdness Boo YEA!!!

6. Robot Boy - 7.9/10 - I didn't like this as much as all the other full songs because it was too repetitive. sorry. but the harmonies were good =D

7. Jornada del Muerto - 8.7/10 - I understand abit of Japanese but it doesnt sound like Jap to me. WOOTez Heartbeat drum again.. *loves*

8. Waiting for the End - 9.6/10 - LOVE THIS SO SO MUCH!!! WORDS CANT EXPRESS MY LOVE FOR THIS. DEFINITELY THE NEXT SINGLE!!!!!! XDDDDD

9. Blackout - 9.5/10 - I love the way Chester screams in this. It's another very weird/unique song... SO DIFFERENT... The ending was perfect. Don't know why people would think the ending was out of place. o_O

10. Wretches and Kings - 9.1/10 - Haha love the speeches in this, but not my cup of tea. Adored the part where Mike raps " from the front to the back, to the side to side" though xD

11. Wisdom, Justice and Love - 9.1/10 - OMFG.... The speech is so sad. I thought I was seriously gonna cry :'(

12. Iridescent - 9.4/10 - What else is there to say? It's so beautiful... One of my Favs!!

13. Fallout - 8.4/10 - Doesn't really catch my attention. Probably because it fits in the album so well that I didnt notice it?? maybe??

14. The Catalyst - 9.5/10 - NOW I understand why this is the lead single. It fits perfectly in place. The weird thing about this song is that after hearing the entire album. It feels as if this song has increased in tempo then all the other times I listened to it.. I dunno =\

15. The Messenger - 10/10 - I need to learn the guitar and piano of this song... CHESTER'S VOCALS WERE SO FREAKIN' AWESOME. I Gonna do a cover of this.. Stay tuned all you LPA members for me cover =D..

Overall (which is the average.. ) : 9/10 (rounded off) Absolutely amazing especially when listened at night. My second most favourite album from LP next to Meteora O.O YES METEORA IS MY FAV. Meteora>ATS>MTM>HT>Reanimation xP

FAVOURITE SONGS IN ORDER (excluding interludes):
    The Messenger
    Waiting For The End
    Blackout
    The Catalyst
    Iridescent
    Wretches & Kings
    Burning in The Skies
    When They Come For Me
    Robot Boy

Hope you guys enjoyed the album as much as I do. xD and excuse my English and messiness..

Last edited: Sep 9, 2010
    ChuckCheese

ChuckCheese Did somebody order some cheese? LPA VIP

This album is better than Hybrid Theory, Meteora, and Minutes to Midnight for me, after listening to it enough times. Well done, LP.

Jeff

Jeff WORSHIP LPA Addicted VIP

/threadwinner

Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

[​IMG]

Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

I hope you're not counting me as one of the fanboys, hah. But yes, some of the praise so far is kind of ott.

Alexrednex

Alexrednex Well-Known Member

I Really cant tell how much i love this album(Neither should you in my opinion)
    Untill you get the album(In HQ)
    Look at the cover art, opens, read the art book with lyrics.
    Watch the dvd, and Listen to the music in HEADPHONES AND IN STEREO.
    Then give yourself 2-4 days while you still listen to the album.
    Let the songs get a chance to grow on you.
    Then think about everything you just heard/read/saw/felt

And make a review Of A Thousand suns.

I dont want these Half hearted reviews from a leaked album

other wise i dont think you justefy the album for all its glory.

Anyway cant wait for the rest to come...

Ant

Ant Ambient

Gretchen: That is so fetch!
    Regina: Gretchen, stop trying to make fetch happen! It's not going to happen!

DUCREAUX SHINODA IS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN.

Nemesis23

Nemesis23 Well-Known Member

I'll be posting an in depth review soon

Brandon

Brandon I was Ree's 100th follower on Twitter.

I know everyone thinks Iridescent is really epic, and I really like the song too, but the whole gang vocal thing has pretty much become a cliche in rock music now-a-days.

Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

It happened, and it was amazing.

That isn't a review. :lol:

Colonel Sanders

Colonel Sanders Well-Known Member

lol check out these bad boys review ATS: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WP4Wpu3_tNc

I skipped some of the songs to avoid spoiling them, but I gotta give it to these lads for not wasting my time, or anyone else's for that matter.

Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

[​IMG]

Nemesis23

Nemesis23 Well-Known Member

I accidentally posted it while i was in the middle of it. haha.
    And to make things worse, I go to submit it, and my login timed out....and i accidentally clicked cancel, so i just lost my whole review lol.

iNuBBiN

iNuBBiN Well-Known Member

hmmm..... At first I was all against this album but the more I listen to it the more I love it. I enjoy every song but robot boy and the messenger. I do have a few problems with some of the songs though. Some things I wish were taking about or added in.
    Overall I give it a 7.5/10- because to me it felt like the reanimation of minutes to midnight. Also I liked how they kicked down the box but because of that I feel like they have shreds of Coldplay/U2 lost in the back of the album. Hate how they took out brad. They use to have the perfect mix of all the members. Im sure the more I listen the more I enjoy

Polychromatic

Polychromatic Banned

THIS IS A RE-REVIEW OF A THOUSAND SUNS. IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO READ MY OLD ONE, JUST CHECK PAGE 3. CAP LOCKS ARE ANNOYING AREN'T THEY?

A Thousand Suns. It's alot to take in for me. I had to give it at least 3 full listens before I can even think about writing this review. The album is very different for the band, and many people are probably still in shock with what they heard. Especially if you didn't read any spoiler notes from the listening parties.

This album opens up with two intros, "The Requiem" and "The Radiance", each connecting. They build up a huge atmosphere for the album, backed with submarine noises, flanger, and a spine-chilling robotic voice which sounds like a little girl's soft voice. Then we fade into a speech by Oppenheimer with alien-like drums and a heartbeat in the background.

We finally get a taste of our first song, in "Burning In The Skies". This track has Mike and Chester singing over a modern pop/hip-hop piano backdrop. There is a little guitar solo and we get back to the vocals before the song fades out to chirping crickets. I don't think this really shows you a taste of the album, but is certainly different from what we've heard in the beginning of August.

"Empty Spaces" kicks in and the crickets continue to chirp and you can hear guns firing and bombs going off, like it's night time in the 1940's during a world war. There is a sudden stop and "When They Come For Me" comes in pounding with heavy jungle-driven electronic beats. Mike's raps are directed towards those who bashed the band because of the change in musical style they have, and mentions things like how people think everything should sound like the first.

"Robot Boy" is more of a mellow piece. Soft, harmonized vocals between Mike and Chester over a simplistic beat. The climax of the song is after the three minute mark where the song actually picks up and gets more exciting with Chester's soft screams echoing in the background. "Jornada Del Muerto" is more of a continuation of the previous track, with Mike singing in Japanese and a synth solo kicks in to close it out.

"Waiting For The End" fades in with a trashy guitar and Mike rapping in a style similar to a reggaeton islander. The song morphs into a ballad track, very similar to The Beatles, and Mike comes back in rapping about starting over again and moving on. "Blackout" is an odd one at first listen but it sinks in very smoothly. The song starts off with a dark organ and army drums, and Chester is sing-rapping over an 80's new wave beat. Chester screams as if he is going crazy and losing his mind. The middle portion of the song is a breakdown with Joe scratching the chorus of the song, then it morphs into a slower softer song with Mike and Chester singing, using elements such as the keyboard and synth from the intro. "Wretches and Kings" is very similar to a Public Enemy/Rage Against The Machine/Nine Inch Nails fusion song, with Mike rapping in simplistic yet heavy verses, and Chester singing in a dirty, odd accent backed with a crowd chanting "hey hey hey". Mario Savio's speech from the 60's is infused in this piece.

"Wisdom, Justice, and Love" changes the atmosphere and mood of the album completely. This is a darker toned piece with a digitally edited speech of Martin Luther King. It fades out into "Iridescent" which is a soft ballad with Mike and Chester trading places until we get the chance to hear the whole band unite and sing.

"Fallout" is a dark interlude with robotic vocals of lines from "Burning In The Skies". It fades into "The Catalyst" which opens with a techno-like fast paced electronic driven instrumental, and Mike and Chester almost chanting their lyrics. The song morphs into a slow piano/synth driven piece where Mike is singing, and slowly builds up to Chester singing and Mike is using the lines from the intro to the song under Chester's vocals. The song ends with the piano and synth that we have become very familiar with by this point, considering that this song is just under six minutes long.

"The Messenger" is a stripped-down acoustic track, with Chester singing in a rather loud, emotional voice. Chester sings his heart out in this songs leaving us things to remember like 'when life leaves us blind/love keeps us kind'. He vocalizes in a beautiful way to close out the song, and the album.

--------

This album was more than a collection of songs that can flow. It really was a journey. There are many meanings behind the songs, and it's up to you to try an understand them. I won't give away what I think of the songs because it's like Mike said, cheating the experience. And hey, maybe my experience is a 180 degree turn on what your thoughts were. All in all this album is the best album they put out. The songs flow perfectly, each full length song is a different experience from the previous, and quite honestly when I was finished listening to the album I had a hell of time trying to remember how the first few songs sounded. In my opinion this album is better than Hybrid Theory because of the diversity of each song. It has that same "groundbreaking" feel but you can see the maturity of the band. This album deserves a solid ten in my opinion and I never gave an album a ten before. I gave "The Dark Side Of The Moon" a 9.5 so this album can prove to you that it did something big for me.

I hope you enjoy the album, and feel the same way I did. And for the fans that don't like the change in style, i'm going to quote a beautiful line in a passage that i've read and listened to. "Try to catch up, motherfuckaaaaa"

10/10

Last edited: Sep 10, 2010