President Barack Obama/World News & Issues Discussion

Discussion in 'Serious Chat' started by Todd, Jan 4, 2008.

1. Theazninvasion68

Theazninvasion68 It's like blood to a vampire, our tragic desire. LPA Super VIP

Imo, Carbon Dioxide shouldn't be capped. Though harmful if you live within roughly a 5-10 mile area near factories, or if you live where the air isn't transported elsewhere. In other news though, We shouldn't be makin' laws to cap and prevent regrowth to the economy, or at least, not right now.

2. Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

So yeah, Palin resigned. I figured I may as well mention it here.

3. Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

This just in:

[​IMG]

Obama likes big booty.

4. Christopher

Christopher Über Member Über Member

"And if you disagree with me, then you sir are worse than Hitler." :lol:

edit: Apparently, he always jokingly ends those articles with that statement, fooled me.

Then again, Fox News is known to make such statements so I can't be blamed for jumping to conclusions. :lol:

Last edited: Jul 12, 2009
  5. Dean

Come on, don't make fun of him. He makes such a solid, cohesive point... oh wait, completely the wrong article.

6. lpboarder

lpboarder Well-Known Member

Sarcasm/tongue-in-cheek is lost on certain people I guess. If it was something about Bush it would be lauded as the greatest op-ed ever written or some other ridiculous hyperbole.

7. Dean

Talking about how if Bush were still president everyone would apparently be contradicting themselves isn't the answer to everything.

The article was reactionary and not particularly well-written. Maybe the Hitler remark was sarcastic, but all things considered I really wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2009
  8. Christopher

Christopher Über Member Über Member

Sarah Palin's speech made me laugh and cry at the same time... no news there, really.

9. lpboarder

Awww.....cant blame Bush this time Mr. President. :sick:
    http://buzz.yahoo.com/buzzlog/92869?fp=1

10. Astat

Astat LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

11. Theazninvasion68

http://factcheck.org/2009/08/twenty-six-lies-about-hr-3200/

After reading this, I feel somewhat better about the House Health-care reform.

Why? Because 1)Though it discourages private insurance business, It 1) Forces them to have a bare minimum (Which, no doubtly, is BASIC, ie maternity-wellness care, prescription ect)

2)Though it hurts business slightly (If not given Employer's insurance) It's not severely punishing (although, it is if you didn't OFFER insurance)

3) Doctors don't have a set-wage limit. This was a big one for me, since If I was going to become one, It's vast amounts of money needed to acquire the education and even more for supplies. :D

Essentially, these were what was holding me back from the house-bill. Now that I know, I feel better about supporting it.. If I could vote.

12. lpboarder

Curious, if wages were to be capped for physicians, what would you pursue instead?

13. Theazninvasion68

Some other job. :lol:

Probably in the field of Teaching or something. Computers?

14. Tim

Tim My perversion power is accumulating LPA Super Member

Even with a salary cap, I'm pretty sure physicians will still make more money than teachers. :lol:

15. Theazninvasion68

Yeah, But It's just that I want the freedom to not have a Limit on my salary!

:lol:

16. Derek

[youtube]wtOW1CxHvNY[/youtube]

Interesting Nancy....interesting.

17. Tim

Is anyone else completely infuriated by this health care reform fiasco? Obama--and Democrats in general--knows that a single-payer system is the most logical one to adopt, but no! Instead, we get this shitty public option shoved down our throats that, likely, isn't going to be any cheaper. And, on top of that, those who choose to forgo the execrable public option will probably have a stiff tax penalty forced upon them! Congratulations, Democrats! By pandering to an industry that has valued profit over actually providing adequate health insurance, you've fucked up the one issue you were supposed to get right! For some reason the word "incompetent" comes to mind. . . .

18. Derek

If they were to go from the current plan we have now straight to Single Payer it would be chaos. Single Payer (while the best option by far) is a complete 180 from what we have now and would be too big of a change, and would turn everything on it's head...and that's why a public option is a good stepping stone. It's not the option people wanted, but it's a very good way of getting towards single payer down the road. There's no way Republicans or Democrats in congress would've agreed on single payer right out the door. Yes it's the best option, but since when did congress work for the American people?

The beauty of this plan, and the reason i support it..is because it allows you to keep your current plan. I personally love my health care plan I have now, and don't need to change it..but for people like my parents who are a good 10 years away from Medicare/Medicaid..they can finally get health insurance, even if its not through an employer.

This plan is a lot better than you give it credit for, and it's not going to cost the tax payers any more than what they're already paying. Instead it will be funded by the money gained from restructuring Medicare, because right now that is what is contributing to the deficit more than anything else. If you read the bill, and actually paid attention to what the president has been saying (with all due respect) you'd see this.

19. Theazninvasion68

20. Tim

So, wait. You concede that single-payer would be the best option, but claim it would be too big of a change? Isn't "change" what we wanted? The U.S. has the worst health care system out of any industrialized western nation. It needs to be turned on its head. Single payer systems of some variety work for every other western country, yet I'm expected to believe the richest and most powerful nation can't pull it off? This whole "we know this is what needs to be done, but it's, like . . . hard" attitude is despicable; it's the same attitude that's kept us in Iraq.

As far as my knowledge of the plan goes: your assumption that I haven't read any of it or payed attention to what Obama has said is a bit presumptuous, don't you think? First of all, saying there's a "plan" is a bit of a misnomer; there are multiple bills to consider. Second of all, the public options originally proposed weren't half bad, but frequent concessions made to conservatives have watered it down to the point of uselessness. The public option was supposed to cut costs by reimbursing doctors at rates comparable to Medicare--with an additional 5% on top, if I remember correctly. But that measure was scrapped, and now the plan instead calls for the government to negotiate rates directly with providers, which will surely raise costs. The Democrats have pandered to conservatives way too much.

All in all, the list of stuff I disagree with in these bills is exhaustive. The Democrats have, amazingly, proposed a solution that is rife with more bureaucratic nonsense than our current system. I keep waiting for the Democrats to show some spine and do the right thing, but I suppose that's hard to do when you make deals with the very industry you say you're trying to reform.

I don't want to start some multi-page debate--not that I'm saying people shouldn't respond if they disagree, mind you. I just needed to vent, haha.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2009