Professional Gaming

Discussion in 'The Living Room' started by Reed To Black, Aug 4, 2014.

Reed To Black

Reed To Black Prog, bro.

So I just recently started learning about professional gaming. Where I'm from there's MLG, or Major League Gaming. I read that these people treat it like a real job and train all day every day for competitions. What are your thoughts on "pro gaming"? I think it's kinda awesome, but then again really really stupid because you play video games all day every day which I'm guessing leads to being antisocial. Also, the number of guys that can actually make a living playing games is extremely small. The way I see it:

Pros:
    Play video games for a living
    Play video games for a living

Cons:
    Very low success rate
    Not much of a social life

hawk

hawk because the internet LPA Super VIP

professional gaming is really cool. i wouldn't say that it doesn't give players much of a social
    life because that's not necessarily the case. players are interacting with other players all the time
    and the media/fan swarm would be fairly strong.

if gaming is your thing, fuck yes. if not, not a worry.

Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

Sad.

MKH

MKH Bat of Gotham LPA Super VIP

What Filip said. Being paid to test games by a company to ensure it's running smoothly so their retail release can sell well is one thing. "Training" in videogames is the most laughable part of the gaming industry. I say all this as a gamer, a fairly active one, too.

hawk

hawk because the internet LPA Super VIP

seriously ... ? those league of legends players grind hard and that shit is tactical af.

Wizardofozil

Wizardofozil Well-Known Member

Just look how big lol this. The pro player of that game play it 16 hour everyday :O

Reed To Black

Reed To Black Prog, bro.

Yeah League is insanely tactical and you have to grind the mess out of it to be any good. And by no social life I mean things outside of gaming.

MKH

My stance is that it's a game, a form of leisure to dumb your brain for a bit - not preparation for warfare. You can be just as tactical with your group of friends going against non-parties in any shooter - the fact that it gets turned into a sport is hilarious to me.

Erica

Erica Meh LPA Über VIP

Of course it got turned into a sport. Literally anything with a slight competitive nature will be turned into a sport.

Reed To Black

Reed To Black Prog, bro.

Honestly if people play shooting games as a sport, I don't understand why they don't go play, for instance, airsoft. Airsoft can be super fun and intense, and your adrenaline is pumping because you might actually get wasted by some guy with a crazy gun. Much better to competitively play compared to games.

MKH

This.

I play Halo and Gears a lot, and I dabble in Battlefield, picked up Titanfall this generation, etc.; however, those all pale in comparison to playing paintball on a big set up field with my friends against a family that bonds around paint balling (AND LOST >:] ). That shit is INTENSE.

Erica

Erica Meh LPA Über VIP

But you can't make a living of paintball like you can with gaming. I mean, I guess I don't actually know that. If I'm wrong show me up, but right now you can go off and win a Starcraft competition and win 100,00 grand. I would totally get in on that if I was good enough.

Reed To Black

Reed To Black Prog, bro.

MKH

Making money off of it is what I find so sad about it lol. When you watch these MLG games and can tell yourself "I know someone who plays better than that", it makes it more pathetic, at least to me. The guys I watch play Gears of War 3 on YouTube, for example, are the kind of guys who can bounce around any map, anywhere, and get a 7v1 clutch - I've never seen anyone recreate that kind of ability in MLG events. It's astounding those guys get paid for playing a few games for a couple of hours and get paid, as you said, in the thousands, for what another guy is content getting YouTube views for.

Reed To Black

Reed To Black Prog, bro.

You could argue that the MLG people are playing better players in the tournament, and the YouTube guy is against seven 10 year olds. :deadgiveaway:

MKH

Where do you think the MLG guys get started and play when they're not at the events? :p Eleven-year-old's don't generally exist in Gears of War 3 let alone ranked let alone in stacked teams, just FYI.

Which makes CoD events HILARIOUS.

Reed To Black

Reed To Black Prog, bro.

I was just trying to say that the reason you don't see many clutches in the big tournaments as in normal online is because at the tournaments there is probably better competition.

Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

My stance is that it's basketball, a form of leisure to dumb your brain for a bit - not preparation for warfare. You can be just as tactical with your group of friends going against pick-up teams on any basketball court - the fact that it gets turned into a sport is hilarious to me.

MKH

a) It is 100% my fault for interpreting "What are your thoughts on "pro gaming"?" as asking for my opinion.
    b) I never said I watched basketball or the argument doesn't apply to it, either.

Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

Sad.