Racism

Discussion in 'Serious Chat' started by Shinoda_baby, Jun 3, 2005.

Shinoda_baby

Shinoda_baby Banned

What do u think about racism?
    Because I am doing a assessment on the book to Kill a Mockingbird and that has a lot of racist stuff in it.
    Another good lesson in racism is taught in the movie A time to Kill.
    pls put ur opinions on here.
    and pls no racist comments.

Louis

Louis Message me if you need to talk. We love you all. LPA Team

I hate racism, are you kidding me? You don't know how many times I have to deal with racism each week. It's pretty frustrating. I hate the whole fucking issue and wish that people could just get along some of the time instead of judging people by their color, heritage, or race.

To Kill a Mockingbird contains many examples of racism, and it's an excellent book.

$pvcxGhxztCasey

$pvcxGhxztCasey meanwhile... LPA Addicted VIP

I grew up around semi-racists. My uncle & grandfather are both racist in some aspects, but I've been around them for 15 years, so I've learned to just laugh and ignore it. My family has learned the same. I guess I've picked up a few of their racist habits, and I've displayed them, as few people on LPA know. I regret it, but I grew up with it. I can't just change what I've grown up around in a day, you know?

Say what you will about me, but whatever, I really don't care. I grew up around it, and it'll take awhile for it to be fully removed from my being, that is, if it's ever removed completely.

gozorninplat

gozorninplat A Person

Racism is a ridiculous idea really (IMO). It's like thinking a dog is inferior to other dogs because it's fur is black (or white or brown, depending). People don't generally think that way about other things except for other human beings, and I don't understand why. Hmm, I hope that all makes sense. Probably doesn't though :p

Todd

Todd FLǕGGȦ∂NKđ€ČHIŒβǾLʃÊN LPA Administrator

My grandparents are racist as well. They believe that anyone who isn't a white Jew is less than a human being, which pisses me off. They use the n-word all the time, they use the word "schvartze" which is the Yiddish word for a black person (its a derogitory term, saying it is just as bad as the n-word) all the time. My cousin is marrying a Korean girl and they're having a fit, they have something against interacial couples and aren't afraid to say it. When I was talking to them about college and my (former) roommate and mentioned he was a disgusting pig who never showered and had no hygene, the first words out of my grandma's mouth were "Is he black?" obviously implying that she believes they're disgusting or something. We've learned to just ignore it. It pisses me off very much and if the conversation is going downhill with racist remarks, I make sure to change the subject.

Louis

My grandparents are racist as well. They believe that anyone who isn't a white Jew is less than a human being, which pisses me off. They use the n-word all the time, they use the word "schvartze" which is the Yiddish word for a black person (its a derogitory term, saying it is just as bad as the n-word) all the time. My cousin is marrying a Korean girl and they're having a fit, they have something against interacial couples and aren't afraid to say it. When I was talking to them about college and my (former) roommate and mentioned he was a disgusting pig who never showered and had no hygene, the first words out of my grandma's mouth were "Is he black?" obviously implying that she believes they're disgusting or something. We've learned to just ignore it. It pisses me off very much and if the conversation is going downhill with racist remarks, I make sure to change the subject. [/b][/quote]
    I know exactly what you mean. My parents...like, they're not exactly racist. But I went to this girl's party and she was hispanic and my mom asked me before the party, "Is she hispanic?" I said to my parents that they are racist.

$pvcxGhxztCasey

Yeah, my grandpa says the n-word alot. My Uncle & I have conversations about mexicans often, which stems from me complaining about my High School requiring spanish classes on a particular path, but not offering any other foreign languages that I'm interested in (German) except for French. But who wants to learn French, honestly. Anyways.

I'm not afraid to indulge in "racist" coversations with my uncle, since I do have a bad feeling towards just generally America about how we have to learn spanish in schools so we can go and get a job, but they don't have to learn our language. I know they take English, but it doesn't mean they'll learn english, you know? I don't know, I think it's bullshit.

I don't have anything against black people though. I use the n-word on MSN when I'm talking to my friends, but they know I'm joking, and I'm not just saying that. Plus it's Tennessee. I can't afford to be racist towards blacks. I'd get my ass beat daily.

Louis

Me and my friend do the same...with the n-word thing, but it's all a joke and we never mean it. Never have and never will.

I personally think that the only reason people can be racist against Mexicans is due to the fact that they have been shown to commit crimes more often (no offense but it's on the news). I find that to be mean, and it's usually Black or Hispanic people which recieve worse punishments from a crime than whites do.

$pvcxGhxztCasey

1 out of 3 black people are in prison, or so I've heard. But that's neither here nor there.

I have nothing against mexicans, it's just that I wish America didn't have to surrender to them and make it virtually law that we have to learn spanish in order to get around, and work with them, etc. If I was in Mexico, I'd learn the language. But I'm not, they're in America. Why can't they learn English? Gah.

Other than that, I'm fine with them. I like Taco Bell. Although it's weird, I went to Mexico on vacation last year, and their nachos sucked ass. I thought they'd taste really, really good.

Anyways.

CloserToCrawling

CloserToCrawling Ambient

My parents are extreme racists and homophobes. The minute I talk about having a black friend or knowing a Mexican classmate, they immediately resort to unfair stereotypes. It's ridiculous. There isn't a single conversation that I've had with my parents concerning race without it ending in complete disaster and argument. I think racism is completely unacceptable. Some people resort to racism because they've seen too many people "of that kind" do certain things to annoy them, such as reckless driving or apathetic work-habits. But lazy people and useless people of society come in every culture and color, thus proving that racism is despicable.

Holiday

Holiday Married and on a life-long adventure! LPA Super VIP

honestly....black ppl kinda scare me. i dunno why though. its not like they have ever done anything to me.

but personally im not racist. i completely forget that someone is of another race when i h/o w/ them. for me its all about the person. if you are a nice person, you are a nice person and i like that.

electricM

electricM Well-Known Member

i am absolutely against racism and people who tolerate and practise racist acts. i despise it and them. also i absolutely DESPISE homophobics....i am absolutely disgusted with anyone who is 'scared' or does not like gay people because they happen to be attracted to some members of the same sex. i really dont see whats wrong with it. its not a disease people....u wont catch it if u go too close :rolleyes:

of course this is completely IMO. so dont rip me apart if u dont agree, ok?

Tom

Tom LPA Super VIP LPA Super VIP

racism is just wrong , and every person on the earth should just get along

the_king_of_all

the_king_of_all LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

we will never 'all just get along'. if racism went away there'd always be something else as degrading and pathetic to replace it. but anyhoo, my opinion on racism. it makes me sick. my grandparents are semi racist, and to have to sit in a room and listen to them make some of the coments they do it makes me feel very very uncomfortable. also my dad has made a few homophobic remarks in the past and recently, but to him i will voice my opinion (basicly say 'sit down and shut up, you don't know what you're talking about' as he has no gay/lesbian/bi friends whatsoever, where as i do.) and he now makes an effort not to say anything around me about anything to do with race, sexuality, or anything else people cannot determine. (he has made racist remarks before aswell, to which i just tell him to shut up) so over all i hate racism. i know people use the n word just for a joke and that doesnt bother me that much, but i know a few people who use it as an insult (there is one extremely racist kid at my school) and i just feel like standing up and going insane at them.

Neil

Neil Super Duper Member LPA Super Member

You have to remember , To Kill A Mockingbird isn't really racist, because at the time it was written, that's the way traditional values were.

hybrid_fan

hybrid_fan Ambient

my parents are homophobes...and a little racists...
    I can't understand why they can't accept the diffrent people

Glenn

Glenn Super Member LPA Super Member

I still find using the n word as a joke offensive. I wish people could stop using it all together, whether they are racist or not. I'm not racist but there are probably 3 or 4 black people who go to my school so it's kind of different when we see new students who enter our school and are black.

Weezy

Weezy Well-Known Member

To Kill a Mockingbird is a great book. :)

Well about racism, I live in San Francisco. It's great here.. all types of people are here; white, black, asian. Race isn't much of an issue here (though it isn't exactly non-existant). I don't think I know any super-racist people, especially people who have grown up here.

At least our generation seems to be more accepting than the older generation. Super-racist people tend to be older people.

I'm not sure which type of people I hate more. Racists or homophobes.

Chris

Chris LPA Addict LPA Addict

Im not a racist, but i can make jokes about certain people.

Ander

Ander LPA VIP LPA Super VIP

Dang. Hitler loves and hates your family at the same time.

Me? I'm not racist. I'm just prejudice. It's like, I dont hate on people, but if you're my friend and of a different race we'll run dozens on each other about fried chicken, fried rice, refried beans, and whatever fried/refried stuff white people eat all the time.