RAM Question

Discussion in 'The Living Room' started by Kæton, Apr 13, 2007.

Kæton

Kæton is Keaton LPA Über VIP

So apparently the fine people who "fixed" my computer seemed to have downgraded my RAM from what used to be (around the 500 area) to 248MB of RAM. It's too late to do anything, so I now have to upgrade my RAM on my own. But the problem is that the "repair man" who worked on my computer did not include the model name of the motherboard, any type of booklet or anything of the sort nor the name/type of RAM that's been installed thus far, so I don't know what is compatible with the current RAM and the motherboard. All I know from looking at the motherboard is that it's an MSI Intel and that the current RAM is a "DDR 2001 256M." However, I'm not sure if that's enough information to go to the store with. I already spent enough money this month and on this computer in general, so I'm not looking to pay a lot for some RAM, which I only really need around 400 or so more, however since I am not too computer savvy, I am at a loss as to what to do. If a cheap brand will do the trick, I'd take that over professional performance ones to save me some cash. I'm just looking to increase the memory so that I may use some programs, which require at least 512MB of RAM.

If anyone could help me sort this whole thing out, I'd greatly appreciate it. I'm not going back to these people who call themselves "repair men." I'll be damned if I ever let another little "fix it" company touch my precious machine again. Blah. >_<

ultramar

ultramar Well-Known Member

Kæton

Thanks for the help! I've scanned and figured out the RAM I need. Hopefully this works out smoothly. Again, thank you! :)

Neil

Neil Super Duper Member LPA Super Member

You can't really downgrade without taking a stick out. So either you consented to something or they stole some ram.

Tomi

Tomi &nbsp; LPA Addict

Probably a sly mix of both.

This is why I tell everyone to avoid these kind of shops, and see their best [tech] friends. [Even if you're just friends with the for the tech support, at least buy us a beer or two for our troubles, and make an effort of actual friendship....]

Kæton

Yeah, that's the last time I go to a small business like that. Learned my lesson. I just hope this RAM problem will be fixed smoothly. I'm so tired of having to do things for this computer just to make it work... So damn annoying. :lol:

Tomi

Tomi &nbsp; LPA Addict

Big businesses [ie. Best Buy, Future Shop, etc.] too.