Random LP Chat

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by lime treacle, Apr 20, 2014.

1. TheInterframe

TheInterframe Well-Known Member

Hahn is going to have a whole load of new things to do with this new album cycle, assuming they play the studio versions of the songs.

2. BTorio

BTorio Well-Known Member

I just realized the beginning of Heavy sounds like it'll come from the track before it, ala Wastelands -> Until it's Gone. I hope they keep up those clever transitions, it makes the album as a whole so much more enjoyable to me.

Sasuke likes this.
  3. Abel

Abel Chester Bennington saved my life.

4. Qwerty19

Qwerty19 Well-Known Member

I feel like those 180's shift are really starting to make the band look like a big giant parody mess.

When you want to reinvent the wheel every time, you sorta also have to start from scratch every time.

Sometimes, it almost seems like LP or Mike are creeped out by the idea of getting deeper involved with a particular sound, and making that particular sound more intricate over time. It's like having one-night stands all the time. it might be fun. But you're never gonna get into deeper stuff unless you commit to some sort of relationship.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2017
    Vinifeijo and deadbysunrise like this.
  5. deadbysunrise

deadbysunrise Well-Known Member

Yes, I've also been thinking this for quite a while. I feel like they are becoming the definition of "a jack of all trades, but master of none". I would love it if they decide to further explore the pop genre and release one or two poppier records after OTL. I'm sure the next one will be much better and will fix the issues I'd probably have with OTL (at least judging from the three tracks we already have). I didn't enjoy THP, but I would've loved a heavy LP7. Hell, even ATS could've been the beginning of something great - it is my favorite Linkin Park record, but it's not even close to perfect.

I guess they are still influenced by their early days and everyone claiming they are just a crappy nu metal band. Mike always seems to want to prove how versatile they are and how the nu metal band can do every genre they have the desire to. Great, but I get it! That's true, they can really do anything! But it's high time they started perfecting their stuff. Explore a sound on a couple of albums, learn a lot when you record the first one, don't start the second one from scratch, have a clearer idea of what you want to accomplish when you start writing the second one, allow yourself the opportunity to already have an established sound, so you can spend all your time experimenting with it! I believe that's the natural thing to do at this point and I do hope the band (Mike) decides they've proved themselves enough not to have to change their style with every next record.

6. Knt.Slbs

Knt.Slbs Well-Known Member

What the band needs right now? an external producer. We know we're tired of getting Rick Rubin's trilogy album (MTM, ATS and LT) but it's time for them to seek and ask for advice from someone who has a wide knowledge of stuff for the vision of the record and the sound design that they want to pursue.

7. Wizardofozil

Wizardofozil Well-Known Member

omg xD

8. Sasuke

Sasuke Modern Prog enjoyer LPA Super Member

Mike said "Sorry for Now" is also about their kids!

Iopia likes this.
  9. BTorio

BTorio Well-Known Member

I kind of see what you mean, that they're jack of all trades, master of none. But hey, I think they're masters at the HT/Meteora sound, can write some pretty damn good "stripped down" rock songs like MTM/Iridescent stuff, and completely nailed some other styles they've explored, like whatever you want to call WFTE, Wretches and Kings, Robot Boy, Rebellion, and even Heavy. I think OML is one of the only albums where you can consistently judge whether or not they succeeded with the genre, since it's one of the only ones (besides THP in some ways) that is clearly drawing from other people's styles and not trying to make new sounds.

10. minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

I do agree somewhat that they could stand to dive deeper in one particular direction and see how that goes

11. The Joesen One

The Joesen One Fun-employed LPA Super Member

You heard it first: Linkin Park to disband after One More Light album!! :kappa:

But other than that, it's an interesting interview and a lot more relaxed than most of Mike's interviews in previous album cycles. It's nothing really new, but it's nice to see this open.

12. Iopia

Iopia Well-Known Member

Totally. There's no way of knowing how much of an effect not using a producer has had on their music, but personally I think THP was their most inconsistent album yet, and not having a producer may have been a part of that.

13. minuteforce

Personally, for all its faults, THP is plenty consistent to me and that's why it's one of my top-favourite LP albums.

Michele and Deliveranze like this.
  14. BTorio

BTorio Well-Known Member

Agreed. Even though I personally don't really care for the style of interludes on the album, like hearing Mike talk in the studio, or the randomness that is the Summoning, I think that album has an awesome flow and consistency, while still having a lot of variety. It feels more consistent and wholesome than LT or MTM to me, which are both already pretty good imo (mixing on LT aside). I really think all albums after Meteora really nailed what it is they say (claim) they were going for.

For me, the album that I would "change" most is LT. I would have loved the primo vibes to end up on the record instead of I'll be gone, more folk elements like CoG to show up, three band terror to be a lot closer to its original form, and probably just stronger tracks than STB, UIB, and Tinfoil to replace those tracks in general. It could be a lot more "open" and epic of an album like ATS. The thing is, I don't think that a different producer or lack thereof would have caused that, because they were trying to make that firecracker record. I think they would come out with similar products regardless of having a producer or not, because (at least it seems) that once a possible album direction emerges, they really set on it and accomplish it.

15. Blackened

Blackened Blackened Symphony

Check out who appears at the last minute. :)

Captain-EO likes this.
  16. The Joesen One

The Joesen One Fun-employed LPA Super Member

So far for OML, I'm expecting not to be blown away sonically as I think most songs will sound generic. I hope the lyrical content surprises me.

I do hope the band exceeds my expectations though. :)

Also HOLY FUCKING SHIT BRAD TWEETED

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
  17. Sasuke

Sasuke Modern Prog enjoyer LPA Super Member

Has anyone noticed that even we are 1 month ahead of the release of OML, it still there's any specific reviews of the album so far! :hmm:

18. minuteforce

It's because Linkin Park didn't make an album. Whole thing is a sham. Smoke and mirrors.

Sasuke and Captain-EO like this.
  19. Hybrid

Hybrid Has gone Rogue. LPA Team

They've been very tight-wad with sharing new stuff, especially this album cycle.

20. Doridorica

Doridorica Well-Known Member

Can I ask a quick question about meet and greet eligibility so I don't have to open a new thread as I need just one quick reply?