Random Thoughts 24

Discussion in 'Random Chat' started by Louis, Nov 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

Except no, because while Tomb Raider did come first, Uncharted revolutionized the gameplay and storytelling aspect of the adventure game, which Tomb Raider has been so-nicely emulating in order to gain success after falling over the deep end.

2. Jeff

Jeff WORSHIP LPA Addicted VIP

Gotta milk the series as much as they can huh? :lol:

3. Benjamin

Benjamin LPA team LPA Super VIP

God, I wish I could go back to the days where I was pumped up for anything involving video games.

4. MKH

MKH Bat of Gotham LPA Super VIP

I love how you came off as a 40-year-old unhappily married guy there :p

It doesn't matter that she's a gaming nerd, GameSpot's UK section editor is pretty damn hot, especially with that accent :awesome:

5. Benjamin

Benjamin LPA team LPA Super VIP

I really, really want to like video games and I should (pretty much everyone else I know does). I have a ps3 and all...I just don't play it. I think the fact that I'm generally not good at video games is a big factor.

6. Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

The series never fell over the deep end (it still sold millions despite Angel of Darkness being terrible), and Legend came out at the same time as Uncharted and was in development before Uncharted was even announced. Legend was Crystal Dynamics' first Tomb Raider game (as it used to be by Core Design), and it's the game credited with making Anniversary, Underworld and now this reboot possible. The latest trilogy got the highest scores of the series, and they got that way by repeating the Legend formula...a formula which (by the way) was already being developed before the first game play video of Uncharted 1 came out or UC1 was even released.

Tomb Raider revolutionized gaming as it was one of the first to do fully 3D gaming and while it might not have been exactly the first, it was certainly the "best" at the time. If it wasn't for Tomb Raider, Uncharted wouldn't exist as it takes direct influence from Tomb Raider much like other games have over the years. The difference with UC3 is that while Uncharted 3 will pretty much follow the same game play mechanics as the first 2 entries in the series, and pretty much offer nothing new except a few new moves/features and better graphics...Tomb Raider is a complete reboot of the games before it, and a complete re-imagining of the series from the ground up. It's not just a character reboot, but a franchise and brand reboot. Everything is changing with the Tomb Raider reboot whereas Uncharted 3 is pretty much UC 1&2 with a new story and a prettier coat of paint.

7. Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

That's the sequel to The 40-Year-Old Virgin, right?

"You know how I know you're depressed? You turned into a bawling wreck after three drinks."

8. Jeff

Thanks for the support :lol:

9. Derek

I'm personally hoping this reboot is so good that people stop talking about Uncharted.

10. Jeff

I just wish people would just get along with both games in general. Both seem to hold their own in my opinion, and personally, I'm quite excited for the new Tomb Raider game to come out, even though I have to wait until next year.

11. Derek

I will give credit to UC3 for trying to reinvent 3D gaming, but that doesn't really appeal to me as I think this whole 3D trend is incredibly overdone.

12. Jeff

3D in general tends to give me a headache. And personally, I don't understand the purpose of making games have a 3D aspect to them, when it doesn't really affect any part of the game.

13. Minus

Last I saw, Uncharted 2 won a Game of the Year, had been heralded as being one of the best games of all time, and had characters that weren't flat (so to speak).

Having played my share of video games, Uncharted 1 blows all the Tomb Raiders up until Anniversary and not counting Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light. That's not counting Uncharted 2, which ranks up there with such heralded games as Chrono Trigger, Mario 3, Portal 2, Mass Effect 2, and Goldeneye on the 64.

The only thing Tomb Raider has over Uncharted is the fact that the most recent Lara Croft incarnation is insanely hot. But that's just some Square-Enix character design thrown in since they bought out Eidos.

Not to say Nathan Drake isn't an attractive individual, by far.

14. Derek

But the thing is, you're saying that this reboot resembles uncharted when really it couldn't be any farther from UC. Sure in motion it LOOKS like UC, but the premise of the game is completely different. If anything, based on previews...the game is more like Snake Eater then it's like Uncharted. TR: Reboot is gorier, more violent, and more survival/horror based than Uncharted 3 is gonna be.

15. Jeff

On a completely different note altogether. I really need new shoes badly. :lol:

16. BlackedOut

BlackedOut Zero

[​IMG]

Here you go.

17. Jeff

No.

18. BlackedOut

BlackedOut Zero

Get Busy Committee vs Odd Future Wolf Gang Kill Them All

19. Minus

This game is more like UC than Snake Eater by far. UC and TR are platformers with action sequences. The MGS games are movies with stealth gameplay.

20. MKH

MKH Bat of Gotham LPA Super VIP

My two cents: the new Tomb Raider looks amazing in terms of graphics, controls, gameplay, and surprises, all from the short demo shown at the press conference this morning.

I've never been a fan of Uncharted, though I've heard it's very good on the PS3. I did see a demo of FarCry 3, however, and I was convinced it was the new Uncharted right up until "FARCRY3" flashed onto my screen, if that says anything.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.