Random Thoughts 9

Discussion in 'Random Chat' started by Derek, Dec 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Friskey™

Friskey™ LPA Super Member LPA Addict

Whoa, they voted a Dir En Grey video #1 of the year on Headbanger's Ball? ...the hell? :lol:

2. Debus

Debus Morbid Fascination LPA Addict

Oooh what video?

3. Kate

Kate beat me senseless LPA Super Member

4. Friskey™

God, where's Tom when you need him. On an upcoming episode of Scrubs, they're spoofing House :lol:

5. Andrea

Andrea best friends. LPA Addicted VIP

Holy shittlesticks, my head is killing me.

6. Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

The amount of people that register at IMDB just to criticise films doesn't come as a surprise.

7. The Doctor

The Doctor I wear a fez now. Fez's are cool. LPA Super Member

YES. I may have convinced my parents to get me a PS3 for my birthday. 21, that's a big year!

8. Holiday

Holiday Married and on a life-long adventure! LPA Super VIP

The test will consist entirely of identifications. These identifications need to show us that you have done more than memorize dictionary definitions. Your job is to show us that 1) you have read and understood the readings; 2) you have paid attention in lecture; 3) you have taken advantage of discussion group and writing assignments to think about the deeper meaning in and connection between the materials; and 4) that you have developed strong critical thinking and writing skills.

Total points: 105

*TIP—The final is 120 minutes long, so budget your time accordingly. At about a minute per point, you should spend no more than 7 minutes per question.

IDENTIFICATIONS (15 IDs – 7 points each)
    On the exam, we will provide you with 18 identifications, of which you will answer 15. These identifications will be chosen from the terms, names, quotations, and images listed below. For each term, name, quotation, or image you will need to identify a) who or what it is (2 pt); b) when it took place, lived, was created etc. (2 pt) and c) why it is significant (3 pts)

* TIP -- Significance. This is an important concept. When we ask you about something’s significance, you need to explain how it relates to larger themes in the course, or to Modernity in general. What effect did it have on history or culture? Why is it so important that we study it today? “Significance” answers the “so what?” question.

Example:
    Johannes Gutenberg. Johannes Gutenberg lived in the fifteenth century and was the European “inventor” of the moveable-type printing press, which he invented in 1452. Gutenberg, who brought together a number of technological innovations of the time (paper, durable ink, press, movable type, and printing), represents one of the ways technological innovation had such a big
    impact on life and thought during the Renaissance, a time of major social and cultural change. Gutenberg’s printing press accelerated the spread of information and literacy; in the 15th and 16th centuries it helped spread the secular ideas of the Renaissance and the religious ideas of the
    Protestant Reformation. It also was crucial in spreading the ideas and discoveries of the Scientific Revolution.

Lists of Possible Identifications:
    You will notice that this list of possible IDs is longer than it was for the midterm. That, and the difficulty of some of the IDs, rather than the length of the test, is what makes the final harder (and thus worth a larger portion of your grade) than the midterm.

Names and Terms
    Romanticism

Haimatochare

Coppelius

free market capitalism

Karl Marx

imperialism

The Origin of Species

Nationalism

Ernest Renan

the Unconscious

Renfield

“The Foundation and Manifesto of Futurism”

Cubism

Futurism

Rebecca West

Fordism

Maria (Metropolis)

Degenerate Art

Leni Riefenstahl

"Universal Declaration of Human Rights"

Decolonization

Cold War

Postmodernism
    Septimus Hodge

Globalization

Quotations
    “The Poet binds together by passion and knowledge the vast empire of human society.”

--William Wordsworth

“Thousands of eyes were looking and blinking convulsively and staring up at Nathanael; he could not avert his gaze from the table. Coppola went on heaping up his spectacles, while wilder and ever wilder burning flashes crossed through and through each other and darted their blood-red rays into Nathanael's breast.”

--The Sandman, E.T.A. Hoffmann

“By preferring the support of domestic to that of foreign industry, [every individual] intends only his own security; and by directing that industry in such a manner as its produce may be of the greatest value, he intends only his own gain, and he is in this, as in many other cases, led by an invisible hand to promote an end which was no part of his intention.”

---Adam Smith, Wealth of Nations

"The creation of a new State is neither ridiculous nor impossible. We have in our day witnessed the process in connection with nations which were not largely members of the middle class, but poorer, less educated, and consequently weaker than ourselves."

--Theodor Herzl, On the Jewish State, 1896

“Psycho-analysis is a remarkable combination, for it comprises not only a method of research into the neuroses but also a method of treatment based on the aetiology thus discovered. I may begin by saying that psycho-analysis is not a child of speculation, but the outcome of experience; and for that reason, like every new product of science, is unfinished. It is open to anyone to convince himself by his own investigations of the correctness of the theses embodied in it, and to help in the further development of the study.”

--Sigmund Freud, On Psycho-Analysis

"There are mysteries which men can only guess at, which age by age they may solve only in part. Believe me, we are now on the verge of one."

--Bram Stoker, Dracula. (DR. SEWARD'S DIARY)

“How is [a man] to go on giving judgment, civilizing natives, making laws, writing books, dressing up and speechifying at banquets, unless he can see himself at breakfast and at dinner at least twice the size he really is? So I reflected, crumbling my bread and stirring my coffee and now and again looking at the people in the street.”

--????

"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time like tears in the rain. Time to die."

----Blade Runner (1982), by “Batty”

“I, Thomasina Coverly, have found a truly wonderful method whereby all the forms of nature must give up their numerical secrets and draw themselves through number alone. This margin being too mean for my purpose, the reader must look elsewhere for the New Geometry of Irregular Forms discovered by Thomasina Coverly.”

--Arcadia. Tom Stoppard

Images

Caspar David Friedrich, Wanderer above the Sea of Fog (1818)

The Formula of British Conquest (1884)

Claude Monet, Impression, Sunrise (1873)

Pablo Picasso, “Les Demoiselles D’Avignon” (1907)

Cover for Maurice LeBlanc’s Voici Des Ailes (1898)

Fritz Lang, still from Metropolis (1927)

Leni Riefensthal, still from Olympia (1938)

Peter Saul, Donald Duck Descending a Staircase (1979)

*DIES*

9. Friskey™

We've made our estimate that we'll probably get ours in August when Madden '08 comes out :lol:

10. Dedicated

Dedicated LPA Addict LPA Addict

My band needs to sort out some gigs :lol:

11. Beca

Beca Plug in baby.

and you smile while you twisting the knife in my stomach till everything is gone

freeeeekin cold outside

12. Darcy

Darcy LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

Annie the imaginary lawyer can you take this call
    From Mr. What, Mr. Which and Mr. Who? Fuck you!
    Fuck you, go shopping

13. Andrea

Andrea best friends. LPA Addicted VIP

Cool, I just ordered a 30GB iPod. :D

14. Rachel

Rachel look at my horse. LPA Super Member

:] I actually get to see him tonight :]

15. Jennster

Jennster "That's hot."

I got chalk dust in my eyeballs. Ow.

16. Friskey™

*sigh* My mom and her somewhat tacky decorations :lol:

17. Jennster

Jennster "That's hot."

You should see my aunt in the summer :lol: .

18. Friskey™

You should see the crap in my grandmother's yard right now. I had to blow up a huge snowman in a globe, a giant Rudolph, and put candy canes in her sidewalk.

...yeah. :lol:

19. Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

I would push my way out to find you

20. Jennster

Jennster "That's hot."

My aunt dresses like a snowman in the summer. She would wear like a winter jacket, a scarf, mittens, sunglasses, boots, everything! She's very prepared for the weather. hah.

Anywayss...woot! Science Centre trip tomorrow.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.