Rap or Rock?

Discussion in 'Other Music' started by Mcnasty, Dec 12, 2003.

Mcnasty

Mcnasty Y2K

Hey since were all making fun of the rappers in the thread up there in the news section I decided to make a thread here about it so we call all fight here in piece :D Now to start the heated argument that most of us will take part in :rolleyes: 50 Cent and Ludacris and most of the rappers out there DO NOT SUCK, thats my opinion and I'd like to hear all of yours :D

Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

Rap is a really pointless form of music.

Run DMC, in my opinion, is the only good rap artist that ever existed. And–again, in my opinion–Eminem is the only good rapper that has ever existed since Run DMC.

I choose rock, because there are so many thousands of artists in the rock field and the genres of rock are so broad that it lets bands branch out into their own terretories.

To me, you can't do that with rap. All rap sounds the same to me. The same annoying beats. The same annoying lyrics. The same everything. Eminem is the only original rap artist out right now.

My opinion. Live with it or don't comment.

The Doctor

The Doctor I wear a fez now. Fez's are cool. LPA Super Member

I agree, Will. I have to listen to music that has actual instruments and isnt some looped drum beat, and crappy synthed out sound effects. Mostly all rock actually says something in their lyrics too, unlike rap which mostly only talks about ho's and pimpin. Most rappers today even invent their own words. I mean shizzle my nizzle? Come on, think of something original and english.

Andrea

Andrea best friends. LPA Addicted VIP

I like some rap artists like Eminem, Snoop Dogg, Ice Cube, Jay-Z and Nelly. I don't listen to them a lot though but occasionly I do. I like rap music sometimes because you can dance to it and I love to dance. You can't really dance to rock music.

Overall though, rock is my favorite choice of music because there's a lot of rock songs out there that I can relate to and I definitely can not relate to rap music.

Will

I think there's an extent where you can relate to lyrics in rap songs. Like, with Eminem...some of his songs are actually serious and some people might be able to relate to them. But I just can't see someone relating to a song about Bentleys, 20-inch rims, weed, pimping or whatever else pointless rap songs are about.

That's what's so great about rock music. The lyrics come from the heart and are almost always personal and give insight into the life of the lead singer or songwriter of the band. The lyricists of rock bands use the music to speak their minds on issues or to help kids get through tough times. I don't see how listening to a song about 20-inch rims can cure depression.

Ander

Ander LPA VIP LPA Super VIP

:lol: Think about the word 'beat' for a bit. You beat a drum, but a beat is really just a repetative pulse. boom boom boom boom boom boom. There's no rhythm, or meter, or pattern. That's all it is. If someone can sing or rap over a recording of someone's heart beat and make it the number #1 single in the country I will apply for a job at MTV.

Disrespecting one artist on this forum has gotten many a user banned here, but the staff does the same to an entire culture or genre or whatever you may call it and goes unwarranted.

Will

:lol: Think about the word 'beat' for a bit. You beat a drum, but a beat is really just a repetative pulse. boom boom boom boom boom boom. There's no rhythm, or meter, or pattern. That's all it is. If someone can sing or rap over a recording of someone's heart beat and make it the number #1 single in the country I will apply for a job at MTV.

Disrespecting one artist on this forum has gotten many a user banned here, but the staff does the same to an entire culture or genre or whatever you may call it and goes unwarranted. [/b][/quote]
    I'm not disrespecting rap, that's my opinion on it and that's how I feel about it. And when I used the term "beats," I meant the background music. (Apparently the word "beats" is used as an alternative to not being lazy and typing out "background music.") So, if you felt I disrespected a "culture," I apologize. But it's simply my opinion that all rap is the same to me. Sure, it takes talent to be able to "bust a flow," but once you can do that, you're set and can make it in the rap world. That's how I feel. There's more and more rap artists entering the mainstream almost every month, and it gets pretty redundant. It's disappointing in my mind.

Andrea

I think there's an extent where you can relate to lyrics in rap songs. Like, with Eminem...some of his songs are actually serious and some people might be able to relate to them. But I just can't see someone relating to a song about Bentleys, 20-inch rims, weed, pimping or whatever else pointless rap songs are about.

That's what's so great about rock music. The lyrics come from the heart and are almost always personal and give insight into the life of the lead singer or songwriter of the band. The lyricists of rock bands use the music to speak their minds on issues or to help kids get through tough times. I don't see how listening to a song about 20-inch rims can cure depression. [/b][/quote]
    heh. Yeah. You are right. I guess you could relate to rap songs if you did all of those things you listed above. :lol:

antirap666

antirap666 Banned

i hate rap so much...I hate all the rappers cept mike shinoda. ROCK is so much better.

Will

OK...Listen, you need to back up your opinion instead of just flat-out saying you hate them or that it sucks.

If you want respect here, you must give respect.

cryptic

cryptic Active Member

Rap or Rock, that is the question...
    whether 'tic nobler in the mind to suffer
    the slings and arrows of outrageous RAP
    or to take arms against a sea of RAP
    and, by opposing, end them. :D

i hope i made my point...rock is SO much better than rap. i can relate to rock music alot more than rap. rap is just too fasted pace and i really cant understand it. i love to listen to rock and i can listen to it non-stop

Ander

:lol: your username doesnt leave much to the imagination.

Chris.

Chris. LPA Super Member Über Member

I dont consider mike to be a rapper, he's an MC but we dont have to go into that

Rap can mean something, depending on who it is, I think that Nas actually raps about true things that people can relate to, Him and Eminem are the only rappers i listen to, the rest blow in my opinion

Andrea

Speaking of Nas, I like that one song of his. I think it's called "I Know I Can". Pardon me if that's not the right title of the song lol. :lol: That song is awesome and has a positive meaning behind it.

Anthony.

Anthony. .Orestes LPA Super VIP

I hate rap, but I have to accept the fact that it exists.

I mean, we're not talking about music anymore, it's talking over a click track. Oh, can we talk about "talking"? Rap once was considered as a foreign language by a judge that couldn't understand what the song was saying (there was a lawsuit filed because of the song)... They can't spell a word right, making mistakes seems to be cool for them. As being a pimp, a gangster, a killer does... And the kids listen to this and take it as an example. They even get into the "rap" lifestyle, that means buying expensive clothes, jewelry, and to point a middle finger to anyone else that doesn't like rap. Anyway...

Hybrid Theory

Hybrid Theory Well-Known Member

Rock is way much better than rap. There's some good rap, though.

Hybrid Theory

Hybrid Theory Well-Known Member

Speaking of Nas, I like that one song of his. I think it's called "I Know I Can". Pardon me if that's not the right title of the song lol. :lol: That song is awesome and has a positive meaning behind it. [/b][/quote]
    It's "I Can" and you're right, it's a good song. :)

The Doctor

Dont double post. Its a no-no.

Ander

it should be easier to quote people in when you edit your posts to avoid double posting (like when you want to comment on something said earlier).
    edit: though you could just wait a bit until someone else has posted ;)

The Doctor

Anyway, back on topic.....people if youre going to bash rap or rock, have reasons