Rap or Rock?

Discussion in 'Other Music' started by Mcnasty, Dec 12, 2003.

Ppr:Kut

Ppr:Kut Y2K

Rock of course :wth: ... but I like rap a bit.. but true rap not like 50 or eminem...

Adam

Adam !!!! LPA Super Member

i luv rock & nu metal

I dont like rap
    But you have to give credit to ppl like Eminem for having a hard life and
    expressing himself using his talents and give credit to any song with meaning.
    But even if rap does have meaning I'll give the artist credit but I THINK RAP IS ####

Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

http://www.lpassociation.com/forums/index....=ST&f=87&t=6492

you're warned.

rock music. very therapeutic and deep.

i respect rap music and although the themes may become repetitive, it takes time and effort on account of the artist to make these songs and express themselves. props to them.

Mcnasty

Mcnasty Y2K

One thing I got to say is YOU CANT DANCE TO ROCK. You just cant inless your jumping up and down and banging your head which I dont mind doing but with rap and other forms of music you can dace to it and thats why its soo popular. If you could dance to Rock more people would like it but you cant and thats fine with me :D

American Nothing

American Nothing Well-Known Member

I do like Rap on its own. But I like Rock more. So yeah. haha

Methybrea

Methybrea Well-Known Member

yea, they have laws about how much non-canadian stuff is played or something :wth: [/b][/quote]
    WTF? There are no laws about that! Canadians just happen to play more Canadian music than Americans :eek: OH MY GOD!

Anyways, I don't respect most rap at all. The only musical thing to it is the beat, which is synthesized, often done by other people, repetitive. Hell I could make a beat if I had the equipment. Mind you there are some artists who are pretty creative and write about life on the street and stuff like that. In the Canadian underground rap scene (the only one I know: from hearing it on Much) K-OS is an amazing rapper and singer(!) with inspiring lyrics, and some cool beats too. A song by him that really struck me was 'Heaven Only Knows', very raw and emotional! A great rap group is the Rascalz. 'Top of The World', 'Fallen', and 'Gametime' are great tunes: the first (a hit single) sending a really positive message, Fallen is a 'message' (with a acoustic guitar beat!) to a friend who was killed on the street, and Gametime is about playing Basketball against a rival team(s), amazing flow!

Alacrity

Alacrity don't stop talking to me; i haven't been listening LPA Super Member

I really dont think that I can answer this question. I like rap...I like the rhythm and how some of the rappers can come up with lyrics that they can relate to if they have that talent. Sure, maybe you guys cant relate to oyour songs because (no offense here) but you guys dont deal with the things they do. I mean, some people dont have to deal with 'the streets' or anything like that. Their only concern is how depressed they might be because their parents have arguments or something. Im not saying those people might be here...but thats past experience ive had with people that say that "rap sucks" and such.

I like rock music because the style of music...and also because my mom would play it when I was younger...so I recognize it and like it. I dont know how that really happened that I like it so much because of that but hey. I like the way that the lyrics have almost always a sentimental value to the bandmembers, like linkin park. Most people at my school say "Well you listen to Jay-Z and DMX you cant possibly like Punk" or "You listen to bands like Linkin Park and stuff you cant possibly like Hip-Hop and Rap" When truely I like both the same. I can dance to Rap and it appeals to me...but I like being able to really relate to Rock (even though I can relate to some rap).

Hope I made some sense...and thats all just IMO

Logan

Logan Well-Known Member

i have a problem with most of the "new" rock bands.
    and i dont realy like rap.

EvilMonyaki

EvilMonyaki Extremely H! Vltg3

I think Rock is way better than rap... i used to like Eminem heaps but now i hardly ever listen to him. LP and Good Charlotte r the bands that i listen to most. I think rap is real try hardish, then ppl go around imatating the rappers thinking that they r so cool. but some of them r just listenin 2 that music because their mates r n 2 follow the crowd. Rock music is the kinda music i like, some of my mates like it some dont but i dont care cuz i like it and thats all that matters.

Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

WTF? There are no laws about that! Canadians just happen to play more Canadian music than Americans :eek: OH MY GOD![/b][/quote]

The CRTC (Canadian Radio and Television Commision?) or something like that puts restraints on Muchmusic which make them play 1 video from a canadian artist for every 3-5 videos they show. It's the same way with radio.

I think the Swollen Members are a very respectable rap group. They're really catchy and there's some pretty good lyrics. And the Black Eyed Peas. "Shut Up" may not be that great lyrically but "Where Is The Love" has a very positive meaning.

elie

elie Well-Known Member

Rap and Rock are each equally great. Each are music, no matter what one might say. If the artists are able to express themselves, whether it be through beats and a rap song, or a band and a rock song, it's music and it's expression. 'Eminem' is not the only good rapper. It's horrible to label every rapper BUT Eminem as a 'gangsta' rapper with no skills.

Music isn't defined, and those that call rap an un-artistic art/music form sicken me. Of course it's their opinion, and I respect it as that. I don't see ALOT of GREAT mainstream rappers, but that's no reason to call the entire rap genre/scene poor. I don't exactly see a "rock" revolution in our current time period, yet I don't see people running around saying "rock" is garbage.

I'm just saying, we all like our different types of music; but we'll never grow as people if we sit back and ignorantly criticize an entire genre for the horrible motives of a few artists. Think of what would happen if we sat back and criticized all the different genres of rock because of our opinions of a select few 'popular' rock bands, just as we are doing with other popular rap artists.

Alacrity

Alacrity don't stop talking to me; i haven't been listening LPA Super Member

Agreed.

PauletteEMLPGC

PauletteEMLPGC Super Member LPA Super Member

that cd is amazing. ^_^
    [/b][/quote]
    It really is. Has to be one of the best of the year. I don't know if I like it better than their older cd God Loves Ugly though. They are both amazing. Its wierd seeing them on tv now though :wth:

There are some bands out there that are danceable to. Coheed and Cambria makes me dance. :)

Methybrea

Methybrea Well-Known Member

Very good point. And liking rap for music's sake, even though MUSICALLY it is very formulaic and unoriginal (that is a fact, not an opinion Elie) is great because music in all forms is awesome.

But as far as much of the rap industry is concerned, they are using music to mainly generate profits. The desires of musicians should be to write and play music, but with many rappers I do not get the feeling that they have much or any passion about music what-so-ever. I do see them

There are some rappers that I respect and even listen to once and a while (see my other post) but the genre is collapsing and none of the mainstream artists like 50 cent, Jay-Z and all are not making ANY sort of impact in terms of musical creativity. Its more like a regression, a dumbing down. And thats why rock isn't in a 'revolution': because people like simple, catchy ideas over creative, complex ideas. Compare the music of today's most popular rock artists with popular rock from 15, 30 years ago. You can probably notice the difference.

And there ARE other genres out there OTHER than rap and rock. Explore other genres too!

Mcnasty

Mcnasty Y2K

I find most of the people that hate rap have never really listened to a good rap song or just dont like black people which are the majority of artists in the rap genre. My friend hates rap and almost everything about black people but I let him listen to a song with a guitar and drums in the back ground ( so it sounds like rock kind of ) with a rap artist rapping over the instruments. He loves the song and says "if this guys whole cd was like this it would be amazing" :mellow: and yes even if you have a guitar and drums in a song and somebody is rapping through the whole song it is rap becouse rap is a flow and doesnt really matter whats in the back ground.

LornVourkolakas

LornVourkolakas About To Blow Chunks

I prefer Rock from rap. I'm not that fond of rap.

Mcnasty

Mcnasty Y2K

Why arnt you fond of Rap?

Ander

Ander LPA VIP LPA Super VIP

If it's unoriginal, what did rap rip-off? I'd say rock because the music director at my school explained how similar they really are. I'd always thought that Rap was Jazz's disowned son. :blush:

Mcnasty

Mcnasty Y2K

If it's unoriginal, what did rap rip-off? I'd say rock because the music director at my school explained how similar they really are. I'd always thought that Rap was Jazz's disowned son. :blush: [/b][/quote]
    Freestyling came from Jazz which is a part of Rap.

Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

I have never heard rap in a jazz song...