Religion

Discussion in 'Serious Chat' started by Glenn, May 22, 2004.

$pvcxGhxztCasey

$pvcxGhxztCasey meanwhile... LPA Addicted VIP

please explain how Athiesm is bull. You've got me interested.

Link04

Link04 Ambient

Well, literally, I never said it was, I just said it's as much bull as religion could be called, but to answer your question, I first take a look around. Then, I take a look outside, I look at my family, and think of my friends, neighbors, and people on this very site. And it just seems so impossibly surreal to me, that all this, this world that has been created and the species, races, societies that have become of it, were created by sheer chance. That is, all from one cell, which no one even knows how it got there, or how it would develop into such complex beings. To me there MUST be a purpose, there MUST be something greater that makes it all tick, or at least made it all start ticking. I'm not arrogent enough to state that there IS no God, for I'm only human and I don't know. I won't pretend to know either, and I hope you don't pretend. Of course, I KNOW nothing, just as I said, religion is a thought. And this is my thought.

$pvcxGhxztCasey

you can't dictate your life on an outdated book.

I do believe in God. I just don't worship him. I don't like to disclose my true religion much, because usually the ones around me/on the internet are christians and can't accept other people not being a christian.

with that being said, some believe in the Big Bang theory. I like the Matrix idea myself.

Link04

Link04 Ambient

A book that's 'outdated' yet has made countless prophesies about the future hundreds of years in advance, AND is correct?

I fully accept other people who aren't Christians, heck, my best friend is an Atheist. I just love a good debate :)

Neil

Neil Super Duper Member LPA Super Member

I'm not here to put anyone down or crap on anyone's beliefs, but I think Will worded it perfectly.

Religion is a safety blanket - count me out.

$pvcxGhxztCasey

A book that's 'outdated' yet has made countless prophesies about the future hundreds of years in advance, AND is correct?

I fully accept other people who aren't Christians, heck, my best friend is an Atheist. I just love a good debate :) [/b][/quote]
    Yeah, and Nostradomus & countless other philosophers have made true predictions, too.

Say, has anyone read The DaVinci Code? Apparently the author left out the best part: How Jesus Christ supposedly survived the Crucifixion.

emmmers

emmmers Super Member LPA Super Member

And according to you it's much more simpler that one man (or "God") popped up one day and decided to create this complex world? That he had nothing better to do than make complicated cells and millions of species, and yet not even bother to take claim credit for it, leaving doubts in so many people's mind that he even exists?

Do not under estimate the sheer power of the Earth.

As for me, I'm growing less Christian everyday.

Glenn

Glenn Super Member LPA Super Member

Well said. :)

I think it might have been a bad idea to start this post. :unsure:

$pvcxGhxztCasey

worse discussions about religion have occured, Glenn.

*remembers when LPforgottenhybrid got suspended for going apeshit over a comment about the Catholic Church*

BroknSolace

BroknSolace Well-Known Member

*cough*...no wiccans or pagans? i feel alone

Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

:lol:

Eilonwy

Eilonwy Well-Known Member

I'm a Baptist, but I really am not religious at all. I believe in God, but I hate organized religion because people are involved. Everything is about money and popularity, at least in the church my mom goes to. The churches are way too secular nowadays, IMO.

LD50

LD50 Well-Known Member

With all the religions that exist, I find it impossible that one is right. I believe in all that science and logic stuff ;).

"A people left to their own with create society.
    A society left to it's own with create religion." ~Me

Trish

Trish Y2K LPA VIP

I was raised a christian, but I have no religion right now.

I'm looking for one, though.
    I need something to do with my life, if you know what I mean..

Samantha

Samantha Super Member LPA Super Member

I have no religion

Debus

Debus Morbid Fascination LPA Addict

My thoughts exactly Neil!

I am not against religion in any way but i believe that religion was made to give people a false sense of security (or safety blanket as Nail said).

I'm not going to say there is no God because i do believe that something made this planet and us but no one can be sure.

Kæton

Kæton is Keaton LPA Über VIP

I'm an athiest, no doubt, and proud.

I don't know, I don't think I'd dislike Christianity as much as I do if it weren't for my family/anyone I know in person that is a Christian.

For some reason, just because I am an athiest, I don't deserve the same respect as the others who do believe in this one "God." My relatives, who are Christian, make me eat outside when there are family gatherings. I am not allowed in the prayer before the meals, either, and when I asked why, they said they'd rather not have God waste such perfect food on a not-so-perfect and childish individual like myself. They've also mentioned that for me not to believe in God, that I should not be blessed by God. Yes, I remember it word-for-word because it was really hurtful to hear. I really find that f*cked up, really, and I know that maybe not all are like this, but every Christian I've come in contact with in person has given me nothing but trouble. There's some people around me who try to pick fights with me when I talk about anything that goes against religion and I usually don't mean to do it, I'm just speaking my mind. They also constantly challenge my Biology teacher when she's trying to teach the class of human evolution, and it's just really annoying how they're supposed to be "right" about everything and if it's not their way, it's wrong...

I don't wanna' start anything, but this is just my point of view and I am only speaking of experience with those of Christianity, and they have not been the best, but I am not trying to say all Christians are bad.. I just think if you doubt them a bit, they'll go apeshit on you like someone on the forums did before... That's all I ever see these days.

I guess this is why I don't believe in anything or anyone but myself. Being out casted from many people for not believing in "higher" beings or anything, and it doesn't help any when people want to bite your head off for it every chance they get, you know?

Also, isn't there like, two different names for those who aren't part of religions? Or like, athiest are those who don't believe there is a God or whatever, and then there are those that believe in higher beings but don't believe it is a god? I don't remember, but I remember that my English class were discussing the two and how people usually get them mixed up.

Evi

Evi Super Member LPA Super Member

I'm raised as a Catholic Christian ... i have no relegion right now actually :wth:

Messy Marj

Messy Marj LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

Yay, someone like me! :lol:

Whimsicality

Whimsicality I broke the dam.

:hugz:

That sucks, Keaton. They shouldn't treat you like that.

As far as Christians go, most that I've met have been really nice and sweet people. A couple of my very good friends are Christian.

I have a Wiccan friend.