Review: INTRONAUT - "NULL" (EP)

Discussion in 'Other Music' started by Methybrea, Feb 5, 2006.

Methybrea

Methybrea Well-Known Member

Tracklisting:

1. Intro (0:28)
    2. Sores Will Weep (6:06)
    3. Fragments of Character (7:06)
    4. They (As In Them) (6:57)
    5. Burning These Days (7:45)

Release Date: Feb. 28th/06

The debut EP from the Californian progressive metal band INTRONAUT is a stunning musical statement that, in a creative and musical sense, goes beyond the regular confines of metal to create something new. Bands like Opeth, Cynic, Tool, and The Dillinger Escape Plan are definately influences that appear on this album and those bands are also bands that have redefined the boundaries of metal.

After sound effects of the "Intro", the band comes roaring out of the gates with "Sores Will Weep", with furious riffing and death/hardcore vocals before winding down into a atmospheric part with prominent basslines by Joe Lester (usually a bit buried in the mix). "Fragments of Character" picks where the previous began, with crushing rhythms and creative time signatures. The slow middle section features some melodic clean guitar lines that builds up to an awesome finish.

"They (As In Them)" starts with an awesome "Tool-like" drum beat and fretless bass work. I would ESPECIALLY like to note the absolutely amazing drum performance by Danny Walker on this album. This guy is a future legend in the making when it comes to metal drumming. This track reaches hardcore-intensity with chugging riffs before launching into a post-rock Isis-type section with some more great fretless bass work before finishing with a build-up in the post-rock/metal style of bands like Pelican and Neurosis.

"Burning These Days" is the epic tour-de-force of the album, combining all that is progressive and good about this band into one solid statement. Polyrhythmic, syncopated, chugging riffs charge on without mercy held together by tight bass and incredibly groovy drumming. The drumming at the breakdown at 4:45 is some of the most intricate work I've heard in metal, approaching jazz-like complexity. The song finally fades out into burblings of electronic sounds and samples.

9.5/10

I would have to say the future is sure bright if bands like these are up-and-coming. Check out www.intronaut.net for the song "Fragments of Character" and tour/bio information. According to Blabbermouth, they will begin recording their debut full-length LP in April!

Branden

Branden hey! LPA Super Member

I've heard good things about this band elsewhere as well.
    I downloaded a song off their website a while ago, but I haven't listened to it yet.

Methybrea

Methybrea Well-Known Member

Its definately not for everyone, but those who like more intense, extreme metal, this is a band to watch!