Rick Rubin Producing Next Linkin Park Album, Discusses Progress

Discussion in 'News' started by Joe, Jun 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dimitron

Dimitron Member

Just heard Limp Bizkit's new album - well it's rapcore/nu-metal oldschool stuff... but how outdated it sounds right now. It seems Fred Durst is still in his puberty (sorry if it sounds offensive). I hope LP won't listen to people whining about ATS and create something new. And i hope that the fifth album will be more dynamic - more songs like Catalyst, WTCFM, Blackout, but without screaming.

2. travz21

travz21 Muscle Museum LPA Super Member

I like this new guy.

3. Death Slayer

Death Slayer Julian

more melodramatic
    still I wish to hear at least one scream song in it

4. Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

Me too. He seems to possess genuine intelligence lol.

Welcome to LPA Dimitron!

5. Jeff

Jeff WORSHIP LPA Addicted VIP

Now we just need to balance it out with a TimeSpree-esque member :awesome:

Just kidding. Welcome to the site Dimitron!

6. saberwulf

saberwulf New Member

Rick Rubin is awesome. He is a great producer. I hope the guys produce another great album. I wonder if the new album title will be in reference the the nuclear bomb like Minutes to Midnight and A Thousands Suns.

7. Dimitron

Dimitron Member

Chester said that the new album will "polarize" the fans.
    Maybe "Polaroid"?

8. minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

I loved that, even after we heard "The Catalyst" in full, we had no idea how the other songs on "A Thousand Suns" would sound until we got to hear them.

You're way late with that one. ;)

Last edited: Jun 25, 2011
  9. Derek

I think the most interesting thing about Linkin Park's career (and it's something that they don't really receive any credit for) is how they were the only "nu-metal" band that actually grew up, and matured their sound past what originally made them famous.

KoRn, Disturbed and Limpbizkit all sound exactly the same as they did 10 years ago. There is absolutely no legitimate growth in their music at all, and their latest music feels extremely stale. Linkin Park however; rose above those other bands and reinvented themselves as an experimental rock band much greater than their peers. That's worthy of respect, considering what most bands would've done after selling over 20 million records worldwide.

10. El Muerto

El Muerto LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

Papa Roach changed a lot too. Although I wish they stopped changing after Lovehatetragedy haha :)

11. Derek

Well Papa Roach was always better than most nu-metal bands, same with Linkin Park.

12. DaMU

DaMU Well-Known Member

The question is if Linkin Park's "maturation" into U2-meets-NIN rock balladry was driven by artistic ends or financial ones. I mean, surely they saw the writing on the wall for nu-metal/rapcore/rocktronica/raptilica. A Thousand Suns feels like a genuine (if vague) artistic statement, but Minutes to Midnight feels uneasy and a little desperate to me, like the sixsome said, "Whatever we do, we can't do that again." Ironically, rap-rock throwback "Bleed It Out" is one of the best songs they've ever produced.

Anyway, I'm glad they quote-unquote grew up. Their recent music feels more passionate and genuine.

13. Tim

Tim My perversion power is accumulating LPA Super Member

Linkin Park's music definitely sounds more sincere now. As far as I'm concerned, they never really fit in with the rest of the nu-metal bands. It wasn't really a musical thing, either. They could never really pull off the tough guy bravado that a lot of the other bands had. Fred Durst's juvenile lyrics are convincing because he genuinely comes across as a grade-A fucking douche. Linkin Park, on the other hand, are nice guys you'd invite over to dinner with your parents, not bring to a kegger. That's what makes songs like "Hit the Floor" seem kind of silly. I'm not saying that their older music was completely pretentious, but I think those songs stems more from their admiration of heavy music rather than their true personalities.

14. minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

Still a bunch of thirteen-year-olds, for sure.

15. Vriska

Vriska Wiki Staff LPA VIP

Too bad they didn't get along that well, lol.

There's also Chester's life going to hell in a handbasket. that's the angle I was looking at it from. Bands like Limp write party lyrics. LP wasn't a party band. Wasn't that the cited reason for LP having a hard time getting signed to a label?

16. Dusty

Dusty LPA Super VIP LPA Super VIP

I have to say after Linkin Park's music grew up, I did as well. The days of Hybrid Theory and Meteora was full of teen angst. I guess back then it was a good outlet at the time I really could connect with.

Even though I do enjoy their older music I just can't connect with it now like I did before. I am in a better place in my life now. Happily married with 3 beautiful children. I really enjoy what Linkin Park is doing with their music right now. Even if their next album isn't the best I will still respect them for doing what makes them happy.

Of course after A Thousand Suns I expect great things in the future.

17. cloudscream

cloudscream Static

Anyone but Don Gilmore

With Don Gilmore:
    [video=youtube;85Ts8jI0KhY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85Ts8jI0KhY[/video]

Without Don Gilmore
    [video=youtube;lsMo8t2dpI0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsMo8t2dpI0[/video]

With Don Gilmore
    [video=youtube;1pe1zRK_GjQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pe1zRK_GjQ&feature=related[/video]

Without Don Gilmore
    [video=youtube;Ly9E30Hc5pg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ly9E30Hc5pg[/video]

With Don Gilmore
    [video=youtube;kXYiU_JCYtU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXYiU_JCYtU[/video]

Without Don Gilmore
    [video=youtube;5-EmcOli28U]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-EmcOli28U[/video]

18. gaganLP

gaganLP Where the Sun Sets Twice

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.