Rick Rubin Producing Next Linkin Park Album, Discusses Progress

Discussion in 'News' started by Joe, Jun 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Death Slayer

Death Slayer Julian

That's what I'm feeling, it's been too quiet for too long, this could light things up a bit.
    Good Night guys, I'll catch up with the buzz next thing in the morning :p

Benjamin

Benjamin LPA team LPA Super VIP

Stormwalker, the move is yours

Stormwalker

Stormwalker Member

Hi guys,

Sorry if I came off as a troll - I am actually a passionate fan. I think my post came across a little rough. I love HT, Meteora, Reanimation and one or two songs from the new albums and New Divide, Blackbirds is also good.

I'm not just basing my opinion on myself. I drew it from observations in a few areas: First I used to work in radio, LP was one of the most requested bands during the HT and Meteora days - by the time I left just after M2M was released there was little interest. Second, I noticed that the new singles from ATS usually played on the my local stations for a couple of days after release then dropped of the radar all together (not a good sign). Finally, my friends who are fans and their general disinterest. In other words I wasn't making it up to try and piss people off on here.

Out of curiosity I used Google Trends to see how interest in the various Linkin Park albums has fared since 2004:
    http://www.google.com/trends?q=hybr...d+suns&ctab=0&geo=us&geor=all&date=all&sort=0

You can see for yourself, interest in A Thousand Suns was less than half that than for Minutes to Midnight.

I know it's not exactly scientific, but I think it is at least some form of proof that backs up my POV.

Now - I wasn't bringing this up to 'bash' the band - I am actually concerned, as some of you have pointed out sales have dropped because of piracy. Fair enough. But sales have always been going down, the RIAA dropped the classification from Gold certification in the 90's because of falling sales.

Even assuming piracy is affecting sales - you combine that with general disinterest in the band because of their different direction and you start to have a problem.

A good thing is that LP is still very popular (nuts in Brazil right?!) and can legitimately fill a stadium on a tour, but for how long? Chester has said the next album is going to 'polarise' fans. I mean, ffs, this drives me nuts! Why would you go out of your way to push more people away from your music - these are the people that effectively pay their wages!

So I apologise if I upset anyone, it wasn't my intention - if you disagree with me that is fine, please though don't say I'm trolling because I am not. If I wanted to troll - I would have just said flat out that they were the worst band in the world - clearly I don't believe that or I wouldn't waste my time writing lengthy threads in the first place.

Harlz

Harlz More Scared Of You Than You Are Of Me LPA Super Member

Wow some of you people are stupid, plain and simple.
    You're posting on a board dedicated to a band who claim to want to express a hybrid of all types of music, to write whatever the fuck they want, regardless of what they're meant to do.
    Meteora was not a representation of that, HT may have been, ATS sure as hell is.
    So what do you expect? The band has proposed changing their sound and doing different shit right from the start.

Fools.
    Ps i'm a bit drunk.

Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

Stormwalker: So you're saying they should cater to their fans for the money as opposed to making the music they WANT to make and be true to their artistic integrity?

Benjamin

As Derek has already clearly pointed out to you: The band doesn't care about sales. Bringing up sales is irrelevant to the band's current interests. Album sales aren't a measure of quality. To me, ATS is easily their best work yet and Meteora is easily their worst.

And just because you like HT, Meteora, and a couple of new songs doesn't mean your opinion matters more than the rest of us.

And for the record, you're not a troll for not liking ATS and expressing it. However, when you just make claims that the band is "in denial" when it isn't true, you flirt with being a troll.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2011
    Harlz

Sounds like it.
    They really cannot win, can they?

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

With all due respect to Chester (he's an awesome guy), he's always said sensationalist things about Linkin Park's albums that don't always end up being true. I remember an old interview with Chester saying Meteora sounded like NIN meets Pantera. Not true. He then said that Minutes To Midnight would have a LOT of screaming, and it didn't. On the next album he said that ATS would be "heavy without guitars" (as in sounding hard without relying on crunching guitars) and while certainly some songs achieved that, the album was more mellow than it was hardcore (even though it's a spectacular CD). Going even further, Mike has even said that it's impossible to say the album will polarize people because they aren't even close to being done with it yet.

So the point is: Take what Chester says about the albums with a grain of salt. He's a great musician, and an all around good dude, but this wouldn't be the first time he inaccurately described a Linkin Park album...assuming it's not polarizing like he says :lol:.

Stormwalker

Stormwalker Member

They're signed to a label - they have a job to make money for that label. You've all seen in the behind the scenes videos the stress the band was under. Some have hinted that they almost split.

Well how much stress do you think they're going to be under with a string of under performing albums - Warners doesn't give a shit about artistic integrity. They want a return on their investment.

What I don't want is for Linkin Park to disappear and break up. My fear is, that if they don't have a breakout hit they'll get dumped from Warners and we may not see a 6th album. Again as you've pointed out piracy has forced a lot of the labels to drop artists - you think LP will be safe? I've heard of bigger acts get dropped.

That is just my fear - not saying it will happen.

Harlz

So screw warner and release it online and continue doing what they do now: make their money from ticket sales.

Louis

Louis Message me if you need to talk. We love you all. LPA Team

PULL A RADIOHEAD. THEY SHOULD FUCKING DO IT. Let's see how much the Linkin Park fan base pays then.

As much as I'd love for them to do that, they would probably not make very much, considering that I've found a good portion of the fan base to be thankless and uncommitted.

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

It won't happen. Even if Warner WOULD dump their contract, the internet is such a great tool for distributing music that the band would find a way to reach their fans and still make money. Trent Reznor has proven this. He's become what he calls a "free agent" (releasing his music himself, and handling distribution on his own) and he's doing well. Labels are obsolete. They'll be history in two decades if not sooner.

Benjamin

They were stressed out about making deadlines. Yeah, they were struggling with the quality of the songs, but they weren't worried that they didn't sound commercial enough.

And all LP has to do is follow their contract. Are you suggesting that if LP makes an album that Warner doesn't like, they'll get fired or something? :lol: That's not how it works. And as I recall, Warner representatives at pre release listenings for ATS said that they liked the album.

Louis

Exactly. And Radiohead did this too. They actually tried this thing out where people paid their own price, and most people paid typical retail price and they were rewarded with not only a great album, but a lot of exclusives that followed. Not having a label isn't the end of the world.

Harlz

Artists really aren't bothered about album sales or the profits from them though, for a long time now the big earner has been concerts and merch and nothing else.

Louis

True, true. Can't avoid that.

Luke

Luke Mind Your Manners. LPA Addicted VIP

Anything other than building on the sound the created with ATS would be suicidal for their careers in my opinion. If they lost fans because they couldn't deal with the fact that they don't want to be baggy-clothes-wearing, cliche nu-metalers anymore, then they'll only lose the credibility of the remaining ones for regressing into an alternate and ultimately inferior style of music.

I'm not asking for ATS part II, but I'd like to see all the positive elements of the album taken and expanded on.

Harlz

And if there's one thing LP has never had a problem with, it's selling out concerts or getting headline slots at the worlds biggest festivals. So financially, they'll be fine for some time yet.
    Now let's stop nagging them to try and write #1 singles, and let them create some serious art.

Hybrid

Hybrid Has gone Rogue. LPA Team

If Warner drops them, I'm sure there is another label that will gladly pick them up. That is assuming that they even need a record label anymore... Just sayin...

20. Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

I'm sure if they were to pull a NIN, they wouldn't be in a bad position by any means.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.