Rick Rubin to Produce New LP Album

Discussion in 'News' started by Andrea, Jul 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Andrea

Andrea best friends. LPA Addicted VIP

Chester has confirmed that Rick Rubin will be the producer for Linkin Park's new album, via an interview with Taipei Times.

Thanks to DigitalRosh for the news!

Louis

Louis Message me if you need to talk. We love you all. LPA Team

I'm glad they picked him. I really hope he helps them take a real different approach on this next album and provides us with some really good material.

Bennington_Hahn

Bennington_Hahn This goes out to everybody still hatin' LPA VIP

I'm pleased. It's only fair - Don had 2 albums why not rick?

But lets just hope he proves all the haters wrong! & helps 2 make a masterpiece!

Linkin_way

Linkin_way LPA VIP LPA VIP

be prepared to hear another m2m ... .1000% sure about that

Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

Rick Rubin, not Don Gilmore :p

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

No offense but to all of the people in this thread who are SO confident that this album is going to be a rehash of the previous album's sound...I think you honestly need to watch the making of Minutes To Midnight again because you have no clue what you're talking about.

Rick Rubin DID NOT make Minutes To Midnight sound the way it did. He told the band early on in the writing process to write the album THEY wanted to make, and after the band voted on which songs to keep and which songs to discard...MTM was the album they chose to make. All Rick did was tell them when a song they wrote sounded like their previous music, because the band themselves wanted to break away from that. Musically, Minutes To Midnight was mostly the band's idea..and whatever we get from this new album, will be their idea as well.

If you hate MTM blame the band, not Rick. I loved Minutes To Midnight personally, and I hope the next record is even better than it because MTM was a step in the right direction for the band.

Dean

Personally I'm pretty confident this album will at least sound different to the first three, even if the execution sucks.

Louis

Well, the band did say that nothing they're making is going to sound like New Divide, and New Divide did sound like What I've Done. So, I think we're in for something different. Whether or not it's good, we'll see in 2010.

Derek

Exactly. Couldn't have said it better myself.

Wait till 2010 people.

Luke

Luke Mind Your Manners. LPA Addicted VIP

While I thought MTM was great I'm really hoping for something much better from the band. I know MTM was just a transistional album for the band while they were getting equiped to move away from their old sound, but after two years of listening to the album I can say with confidence that it ranks after Hydrid Theory and Meteora in my books.

With that said I'm hoping that the band can fulfill the hype that they're building around the new album because in my opinion the forthcoming album will be their 'black album' so-to-speak. If they get it right it could lift their reputation to no-ends but I fear that if this is anything like MTM they'll lose alot of credit from alot of people.

Rosh

Rosh Well-Known Member

My only gripe is, I just felt like I could find MtMish sounding songs on the radio and I don't want that. That's why I loved the first two albums so much. I'm hoping the 4th album is a return to that. They say it's gonna be real different, but they say that for every album, so we'll see.

Derek

Tim

Tim My perversion power is accumulating LPA Super Member

Minutes to Midnight avoided it pretty well and had good mixing for a mainstream rock album--especially when compared to Meteora's crappy mix.

Derek

Which is why Minutes To Midnight to me is a far superior album when compared to their previous work. You can actually hear the bass guitar, whereas in Meteora...Dave could've called in sick and you wouldn't have been able to tell the difference. Having heavy production values, and slick mastering is not always the key to a good sounding record. I guarantee you if a remastered version of Meteora came out (without the polish) the record itself would sound totally different.

_cam_

_cam_ Well-Known Member

:)

Louis

That'd be pretty cool, actually. I'd like that.

Dean

How to remedy Meteora's production: only listen to live versions of the songs from that album. :p

Linkin_way

Linkin_way LPA VIP LPA VIP

I think the album will sound more different if they choose other producer than Rick. Maybe that other producer will guide them into other directions which will lead them into new things they might not experienced before with Rick i dunno :lol: . I know it's not Rick's fault for M2M and mike also said that so, but i dunno maybe because those band (LP, metallica) have changed their style once they got him as a producer for them. I mean even Death Magnetic wasn't that great as you would expect from metallica. i dunno.... :)

Again ... let's just hope their new album will be their best. i feel like this one will be even better than M2M, don't ask how i'm just sure about it lol.

Louis

I think that Linkin Park should consider someone like Rich Costey for production. He did a really good job on Muse's albums and I think he could do the same with Linkin Park. And if not that, I think the band should keep the production limited to Mike. The band did such a great job when he produced (take for example, Hybrid Theory Ep). I think most of us can note that most if not all of the demos sounded more creative and authentic than their Don Gilmore produced versions on Hybrid Theory. You can even take a look at Reanimation which is by far Linkin Park's creative masterpiece. They had other influences but ultimately their sound wasn't dictated by someone who cared for mainstream opinion. Rick Rubin is a good producer because he allows his artists space to experiment but ultimately the best works come when they are kept within the band. That is my opinion.

I do have faith in this upcoming album but I also think that it might not be so stunningly different than other contemporary artists because Linkin Park isn't used to that sound even though we are. Like I said we will see how good it is in 2010.

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

Yeah, my personal preference would be Shinoda doing production duties for Linkin Park. :) I'd feel a little more assured with that. But I'm gonna give this upcoming album a chance for now. It's a risk and you never know how risks turn out, really.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.