rules

Discussion in 'Feedback & FAQ' started by DIJ Metal, Jun 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    DIJ Metal

DIJ Metal Banned

As recommended by Mark I'm making this thread to dispute some of the rules on this forum that I think are either A. ridiculous B. should be tweaked

01. No teenie-boppers (I AGREE)

02. No spamming/flooding/"necroposting"
    I agree to the no spamming and flooding but why can't people necropost? if we have to make new posts after awhile then there are more posts taking up the forum when instead we could just continue the same one. this rule really makes no sense at all because necroposting would make it easier on mods.

03. No racial or homophobic slurs
    ok I agree with no racial remarks but when someone says "that's gay" that doesn't necissarily mean what you think it means. I say that's gay all the time it's just a habit and I like gay people, people should be banned for saying gay slang terms like "fag" not the word gay. Also the word retarded shouldn't be such a big issue either unless someone is making fun of a handicapped person.

04. Respect other users
    I like this rule but when mods warn users for voicing their opinion it's a little hypocritical...don't ya think? Like in the Deadsy thread someone said they suck, the rule says we should respect each others opinions and the thread was about Deadsy where you discuss the band it wasn't titled "post here if you like Deadsy" so the warning that was given to Rohan goes against this rule.

05. Do not post in the wrong forum
    This rule is good because it's annoying when people post in the wrong forum all the time. I've done it before on accident

06. Do not re-register
    Well if you get banned for completely assinine (sp?) reasons like I have before and you still want to post here what are you supposed to do? this is the best LP fan forum around and the biggest so if you get shut out here it sucks.

07. Use intelligence
    Agreed

08. Keep it clean
    Agreed

09. Do not ask for/post MP3s
    Agreed

10. Antagonizing staff
    This shouldn't matter as long as the person is following the rules.

11. No Chatting About The Band's Personal Lives
    I don't see what the big deal is since their personal lives are broadcast all over the news.

12. Respect Other People's Musical Tastes
    Again this goes with the respecting other people's opinions. If I go into a thread where the title is let's say "Britney Spears" and I don't like Britney Spears I should be able to bash her if I want because it's my opinion as long as I don't personally bash the thread creator for liking Britney Spears. If someone doesn't want people coming in bashing the band they should make the title "If you like ______ post here"

13. No Advising
    Agreed

14. Appealing A Ban
    Agreed

There you go.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2006
    Tomi

Tomi   LPA Addict

Mmkay, I have a disagreement with you about bashing musical tastes...

Do you have to bash artists because you think they suck? If you see a topic about an artist you don't like, don't fucking enter it. Keep your opinion to yourself, as flaming the artist, will cause a huge flame war with other fans/members, and then the banhammer'll have to make an appearance.

Also, about necroposting, how hard is it to make a new topic? And also, some information may have changed from older posts, and people'll go to correct that post without noticing it's 2 years old.

Lastly, about your whole gay habit, just drop it. "That's gay!" is such a stupid phrase, I mean seriously. How the fuck is something gay? It makes absolutely no sense!

...oof, one more thing. Sorry, but if you get banned, you're out of luck. If you think you deserve to be back, send in an appeal, otherwise go find somewhere else to spam/annoy/etc.

Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

Regarding Necroposting:
    Topics thatgo over 30 days without a new post are dead issues. It shows that no one any longer feels the need to discuss the topic because it's either been discussed far enough or it's not longer worth discussing, as shown by the lack of interest for the entire month. What's the point in bringing up a dead issue? The thread has run it's course, and if the member wants to bring the issue back up, he or she can make a new thread and see if anyone's interested in discussing it again to possibly show new views. If no one's interested, as is the case in most instances, the thread dies quickly.

-------------------------------------------------

Regarding Homophobic/Mentally Handicapped Slurs:
    While these forums are not a country club, we prefer to see intelligent discussion on the forums, between mature people. That's not so hard to ask for. Many members appreciate our upholding of the ideal that these forums not become littered with immature remarks and idiotic put-downs.

You may not think calling something "gay" or "retarded" is a big deal because you're obviously none of the above. But neither of those words are meant to be used in derogatory senses, and they do hurt those they relate to. Put yourself in the shoes of a homosexual whose lifestyle is being used as a term to insult or embarass someone else. That's on par with racism.

Banning of the usage of "retarded" is just like it. It's wrong to use words like that in defamatory ways. We're simply asking you to be mature and not use terms like these in the wrong way. Be politically correct. Wanting to use these words is completely hypocritical to your agreement with rule seven about using intelligence.

Regarding rule 4:
    No, it doesn't go against the rule. The whole point of the rule is to respect others' opinions. When Rohan, in that case, said "they suck", that's a slap in the face to the thread starter. The thread starter obviously didn't want to have his or her topic bashed by others who give no reason. People can take "I'm not a fan of them because of ________." much easier than "they suck!?!!1". I mean, seriously, why even bother posting in the thread if that's all you've got to say?

In order to have your opinion respected, you must first respect the opinion and feelings of others. Give courtesy and ye shall receive courtesy. If you don't have anything nice to say, why say it? This isn't about censoring people, it's about creating a more constructive and positive discussion platform.

Regarding signing back up:
    When you sign up on these forums, you read the rules and you follow them. It doesn't say, "sign up here and do whatever the fuck you want". We created these forums to foster a positive environment for people to discuss topics. If you don't want to follow the easy-to-follow rules, then why sign up? Why go through the trouble of purposefully breaking rules because you feel like it? There's a moderation staff for a reason.

I may not like having to obey the speed limit when I'm driving around, but do I do it? Yes. Does the majority of the driving sphere do so as well? Yes. Rules are rules and are there for a reason. They're not there to piss you off,they're there to protect you and others, and to make life more manageable.

Seeing that you've openly admitted to being banned here before, I'm going to follow the rules and ban you once I'm finished wasting my time explaining the rules to someone who can no longer post.

Regarding antagonizing staff:
    You're reading into it wrong. Antagonizing is constantly provoking trouble with the staff. We work really hard on this site and forums and don't really enjoy the added stress of somebody antagonizing us for doing our jobs when they simply don't understand what they're talking about.

Regarding the bands personal lives:
    This forum is for discussion of Linkin Park's music. The band has openly said they don't like talk about their personal lives, and we respect that as a courtesy to them.

Regarding the musical tastes bit:
    I've already discusses this with you in that ill-fated Deadsy thread.

Goodbye.

meteoralp2006

meteoralp2006 Banned

fucking hypocrites. there's always gonna be people out there who are against the rules but there's no reason to ban them for it you're just taking the easy way out it just takes one click of a button to ban someone but it actually takes some of your precious time to talk about the problem. god forbid you should actually do that for once instead of ban me fuck this forum and fuck all of you the only good mods here are Derek and Andrea the rest of you can fuck off. You know your rules have flaws but no you don't care. If I ran a forum I'm sure there would be way more satisfied users than this piece of shit

Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

It's not your place to disobey the rules. When you sign up, you agree to abide by the rules. Otherwise, our jobs are pointless and people like you would be running amuck all over the forums causing chaos and distrubances.

Janie Jones

Janie Jones Meghna is a Headcase

Didn't Mark just give a detailed explaination to DIJ Metal exactly why each rule is in place? :rolleyes:

Andrea

Andrea best friends. LPA Addicted VIP

meteoralp2006 is DIJ Metal, Meghna. :lol:

This thread is stupid. It's not that hard to follow rules. The concept of "thinking before you type" comes to mind.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.