Same-sex weddings become law in UK

Discussion in 'Serious Chat' started by Dean, Dec 5, 2005.

Todd

Todd FLǕGGȦ∂NKđ€ČHIŒβǾLʃÊN LPA Administrator

But if it wasn't for either forcing people to convert or killing them, Christianity would be nothing today.

Link04

Link04 Ambient

Could you please describe the criteria for a "main Christian rule?"

Todd, be careful to keep "the church" and "the religion" separate. While I agree with you that the Christian Church's track record of atrocities against human rights is appalling, the religion itself doesn't necessarily condone such actions. As far as my knowledge extends, Christianity revolves around Jesus, whom, again to my recollection, supported no such thing. It is true that the Bible supports murder in some instances, but there is an obvious contradiction between the philosophy of the historical figure Jesus and the earlier writings of the Bible.

saunderitos

saunderitos Banned

Thou shalt not kill, the basic teachings of Jesus, love your neighboor stuff.

Link04

Link04 Ambient

Thou shalt not kill...what? Certainly you've stepped on bugs, not recycled a time or two, something like that. Is it reserved for people or animals as well?

Ether

Ether Well-Known Member

*rubs head in contemplation*

1. This law is great but like others have said, there need not be a law.

2. Who's to say we aren't animals? Who's to say that animals can't think? Crikey! Have you ever thought that animals can infact think. We put the human race on a pedistal and continually assert that we are the 'superior' race. If we are so bloody superior why haven't we found a way to understand animals. Maybe they are superior to us, as they have been able to keep their intelligence from us for so long. I find that theory (animals have no rationality) far to authropocentric.

3. Read up on Nietzsche. Even if you are religious, still have a read of what he says, you may find it offensive but he has some great points. In addition, if the bible sets down a doctrine that we are meant to live by, then surely it says something about considering others opinions, views or perceptions. Right? (correct me if I'm wrong, haven't take the time to read it, too busy.)

4. Please don't get me wrong, I'm all for equality (I think), but as I was reading through this thread I started thinking. What do you all define equality as? How can we be equal if we are all so unique?

Bah! There goes my wandering mind again :D

Last edited: Dec 14, 2005
    Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

I can't really put it articulately right now but if there wasn't a law even in the vaguest of terms everything would be more fucked than it is at present.

Link04

Link04 Ambient

2. Do you have any such evidence to prove otherwise?

3. Nietzche is a wonderful critic, but when it comes to his own assertions, I don't usually find interest in them.

4. Equality refers to nothing but equal rights. We are not equal, because we are different, you are correct. But we each, as a human being, have universal rights that are intrinsic to us. We literally own ourselves, and from that, all our rights are concieved. Equality has nothing to do with "he's richer than me, therefore, we're not equal." Equality is two people having the right to work at what they want, the right to spend their time and effort on what they want, and, according to their values, effort, and ability, reaping the benefits in proportion to those things.

Ether

Ether Well-Known Member

2. Just my wondering. But I still do find that humans are to insular. Is there such a thing as proof or is everything a belief. Like God. Personally I think there is more to animals then their physicality and instinct.

3. I dont mind Nietzsche, but I prefer Sartre.

4. Thanks for elaborating. "We literally own ourselves, and from that, all our rights are concieved." - Speaking of Sartre :D Sounds a lot like what he would say. So equality could be a collective term. Makes sense, but I am yet to see it in this world. Hopefully though this law brings us a little closer to it.

Link04

Link04 Ambient

2. Not enough time to elaborate, but I definitely think there is some degree to which things can be proven. If not, how do we know anything, even our own existence? That in itself leads to a self defeating statement. I'm still not quite sure about animals, but I haven't really read anything completely persuasive to state differently.

4. Heh, I think any sort of "law", given its definition, brings us further from it.

Michael

Michael Well-Known Member

I am bi sexual bit it is nice to that I have my rights. It was only taking time to be introduced becaue the Church and the typicall god loving and bible eating hippocrits are sat there making a fuss because they can. They dont like it because it goes against something written hundreds and hundreds of years ago. I mean that is even if god did exist or the bible is real and not a load of mambo jumbo made up by someone.

I am proud of who I am and wear a band to show who I am. My parents know and I go camp often, I however still get sick about it now and I do find that it is rarther upseting as I am happy as I am. We have evolved and I am sure that even in the olden times it still went on behind close doors whatever anyone says. Why should Gay rights be knocked off the list because it upsets people it is a key part of our society. Weather Bi Sexual or Gay it affects those of us who like who we are.