Scott Weiland Issues Statement On New STP, STP Sue Weiland For Use of Stone Temple Pilots Name [UPDA

Discussion in 'News' started by Derek, May 26, 2013.

1. laura

laura Well-Known Member

:facepalm::facepalm: i'm sorry I wrote a bullshit

Last edited: May 30, 2013
  2. Hybrid

Hybrid Has gone Rogue. LPA Team

No worries! It's easy for things to get lost in translation. :bradwink:

3. Jeff

Jeff WORSHIP LPA Addicted VIP

I think a pretty good reference to go with this comes from the Back and Forth documentary, where Dave Grohl said he would get his ass kicked for listening to bands with the same sound that STP and Nirvana were putting out at the time, back before he joined Nirvana, and when Nirvana hit the peak of their popularity that's all people would listen to. 90's alternative/grunge was anything but generic and really revolutionized the way people think about music.

4. lime treacle

lime treacle You are not alone Über Member

Man I gotta watch Back & Forth.

5. Hybrid

This and the fact that I can still remember the early '90's and how music transitioned quite well. It was almost like one of those "overnight sensations." All of a sudden Glam rock wasn't so glamorous anymore. Good souce, by the way, Jeff!

6. MKH

MKH Bat of Gotham LPA Super VIP

Ugh, just ban him already. Or let me do it if you don't wanna get your hands dirty.

7. Hans Muster

Hans Muster Well-Known Member

Reading through all comments it looks like most of you grew up with the 90's and are biased. I mean that's ok but younger people like me probably find STP music generic. That's just the way it is.

@Derek
    I know it's stupid to argue about the success since it's relative. But STP is a 90's band and probably you're right, they were big back then, but their last album wasn't even certified gold (wikipedia). I think that says a lot about what importance Chesters joining might have regarding their sales. Just to say.

8. minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

Hitting the "ignore" button is the best thing you can do for yourselc right now. Some of the comments that I've read here about this whole Stone Temple Pilots situation have reminded me of the "ignore" button's existence.

9. NotEnoughYetTooMuch

NotEnoughYetTooMuch Well-Known Member

I'm 15 and I like grunge a lot actually, it was a movement at the time and I don't care if it sounds too similar.
    You can't forget that growing up after the 90's makes your opinion of grunge biased as well.

10. laura

laura Well-Known Member

I remember the nineties I do not remember this band apart from when I was little I was 11 years old then

11. Hybrid

Great post. :chuck:

12. Blake

Blake Leave a Trace LPA Super Member

People who say they dont want LPA to report on STP news need to realize that you are basically saying they al;so shouldnt report on DBS, FM, and Julien-K. But they are all reported on here. STP is now the same thing

13. Hybrid

We don't report on Julien-K news because Chester never really joined that band. Yes, they've done collaborations and he's played a few shows with them, but he was never really a member of Julien-K. If Julien-K does a collab with any member of Linkin Park in the future, however, we will be sure to cover it.

14. Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

Technically LP's album sales haven't fared much better. They haven't gone platinum in the US since Minutes to Midnight and LIVING THINGS sold less than A Thousand Suns. Its because the music industry has changed. You can't hold an album not going gold against a band when more people download music digitally than buy it nowadays.

15. Hybrid

Every word here is true.

16. Jesse

Jesse Out of the abyss. LPA Über VIP

I don't understand why there are some people that have a problem with LPA reporting news that is relevant to members of Linkin Park. Chester is a member of Stone Temple Pilots, this is a Linkin Park fansite, Chester is a member of Linkin Park, thus it's relevant. I don't see how it's any different than reporting news of him acting in a movie, covering a song, other bands as Camp Freddy, etc. If Chester or any other member of Linkin Park are involved, it's news, plain and simple.

Now, I would personally get annoyed if LPA were to keep posting Julien K or Styles of Beyond News, if members of Linkin Park were not involved. There are times when the bands do intersect such as Mike doing a remix, or verse, or Chester doing a song and I feel that that's definitely worthy of a news post on LPA. I don't think those bands are exclusively LPA news worthy however.

To close, I'll say it again. Chester is a member of Stone Temple Pilots, this is a Linkin Park fansite, Chester is a member of Linkin Park, thus Stone Temple Pilots news is relevant to LPA.

17. laura

laura Well-Known Member

I love living things and I love you ats ats was perhaps more experimental living things it is not, but I love them both

18. Hybrid

[​IMG]

Take a bow.

19. Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

You aren't gonna change anything, might as well stop arguing.

20. Qwerty19

Qwerty19 Well-Known Member

And you're biased as well, because lot of younger people are obssessed with electronic music and can't even notice a lot of it also sounds similar (Dubstep, anyone?). I guess that's the way it is with some people, but I find that "generic" term a bit stupid. Because it all depends on what you're listening to daily btw.

In fact, the more people are into a musical genre, the more they will begin to find some new things to like in the music and some variations in it. Hell, Death Metal fans are able to differenciate the songs they like :lol: The more people are biased against a genre, the more they'll think it's generic, because they will pay less and less attention to the songs and only notice the things that are similar. When I was 16, I didn't liked electronic, because all I heard was a "boum boum bidoum" with a synth melody. I didn't noticed all the other layers going around, because I was too focused on what sounded familiar.

But if you think more about it, nothing is 100% generic. I'll give you just one example: if I keep listening to hip hop songs for an entire day, then, I can guarantee a "generic rock song" will sound super fresh to me, because it's totally different. That's the nice thing about liking lot of different things: you never get bored, you can always switch from a musical style to an other :)

Last edited: May 30, 2013