"Session" - Song by Song, Let's Talk Linkin Park

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by hawk, Jul 2, 2014.

1. shadowofthehabit92

shadowofthehabit92 Well-Known Member

Forgotten is a really fun track and really energetic. I will say that I like Frgt/10 better though. I love how heavy the beat is on that song and absolutely adore Chali 2na's verse on that track.

2. minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

"Forgotten" is my least-favourite song on "Hybrid Theory" and, in fact, one of my least-favourite Linkin Park songs. I don't know exactly what it is that I dislike about the song but that's that. I never listen to it except when listening through all of "Hybrid Theory".

"FRGT/10", on the other hand, is probably my favourite remix on "Reanimation"! I love how the original song wasn't liberally sampled and that the beat is 100% original; that's an approach which I like using sometimes when I rework songs as well. Shinoda's re-written verses are a welcome improvement over those in the original song in terms of flow and depth. The new beat, new tempo and new progressions all serve to strongly contrast "FRGT/10" with its "Hybrid Theory" counterpart in terms of mood, even as the themes behind the lyrics remain largely unchanged. This remix eschews the original song's aggression in favour of creeping melancholy and desolation, and it sounds so different that it may as well be an original. :rolleyes: Finally, of course, Chali 2na delivers one of the best guest verses on the album. It's a highlight all 'round and, for me, there's nothing to dislike about it. It's just about flawless.

3. The Joesen One

The Joesen One Fun-employed LPA Super Member

It's a fun track, but not memorable. Frgt/10 is ok.

4. lime treacle

lime treacle You are not alone Über Member

Love the song, it's among the strongest on Hybrid Theory. The lyrics are beautifully picturesque.

5. Tyler

Tyler Well-Known Member

Forgotten. One of my all time favorite LP tracks. The lyrics are so cool and the breakdown is a standout moment on HT. Even the demo versions are great, and it was worked on a lot even since the days of Wakefield, being reworked from Rhinestone into multiple demos. Really hope it gets played live again.

FRGT/10 is a really interesting take on then song, I like Chali 2na's verse on it and I always love Mike's new contributions on songs. Not my favorite from Reanimation but still great.

6. UltimateLegend

UltimateLegend Well-Known Member

Forgotten is one of my favorite songs off of the album. I love Mike's verses, and the chorus is very energetic

I haven't really listened to Frgt/10 enough, but from what I remember, it's a pretty nice take on the song.

7. Alexrednex

Alexrednex Well-Known Member

Forgotten is probably the best take on "nu-metal" on the entire album. I love how energetic it is while still being more calm and controlled - starting out with an aggressive "pre-chorus" just pounding in your ears.
    And then we get into the more melodic verses with a nice guitar riff in the background. Very poetic lyrics from Mike and Chester's singing just sounds so different from this track - more natural and controlled.
    The bridge is also one of my favorite things about this track - more back and forth between Mike and Chester - Screaming/Rapping/Vocal harmonies... Amazing.
    Overall probably my favorite track off HT.
    I never understood why this gem got treated like it is a "second rank" song from the album. Being one of the few songs without angsty lyrics on this album while still being emotional and "hard hitting" at the same time.
    The structure is different- The vocals standout - Some of the best instrumentation on the album... I can't praise this song enough.

I love the reanimation version. The new beat is so badass and fits the lyrics well.

8. Michele

Michele Praise Brad Delson, our Lord and Savior. LPA Addict

Forgotten. One of these tracks why i hope there will be never a HT3. Isnt bad, but its my least favorite on HT.

Captain-EO likes this.
  9. Atticus

Atticus Bullets lance the bravest lungs

Forgotten is a track that over the years I've simply forgotten (pun intended? maybe.) Perhaps it's the fact that the song has only been play live once in the last 12 years, and therefore it hasn't awoken that nostalgic desire in me, but I just never feel like listening to the song. Which is a shame considering the beautiful lyrics that inspire great imagery, and I really enjoy Chester's melody in the chorus, and the "paper crumpled up" verse is fantastic.

Frgt/10 on the other hand is so wildly bizarre from the original that it feels like incredibly early A Thousand Suns material.

10. TobinKnowsBest

TobinKnowsBest 20.03.1976 - 20.07.2017 LPA VIP

I love the 2nd verse and bridge in this song. The bridge/outro chorus was also really good live back in the day

11. Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

Too late to write an essay. Always loved this track. Super fun.

12. hawk

hawk because the internet LPA Super VIP

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2016
  13. minuteforce

I had no concept for what "Cure For The Itch" was when I first heard it. I'd basically never listened to an album in my life before I got "Hybrid Theory" and all I knew about the album was that "In The End", "One Step Closer" and "Crawling" were on it. I had no idea what the hell was going on and, so, "Cure" was the most novel thing to me when I was first getting into the album. Now, it reminds me of some of Rob Dougan's beats from the soundtrack to "The Matrix". There's an old-school hip-hop, vinyl warmth kind of feel to it in the choice of drum samples and way the strings are EQ'd, and Shinoda shows off his trip-hop influences in the way the drums are manipulated. I think that these things are what set "Cure" apart from the instrumentals that would be featured on future albums. How all of this works in the context of "Hybrid Theory", I've never been able to fully answer for myself, but it does. I have nothing much to say about Hahn's scratching, which is the real focal point of the track, except that it's good. :)

I find the remix of "Cure" featured on "Reanimation" to be considerably less impressive. It's got a different feel to it, a slicker electronica sound and a faster tempo, but, on the whole, it just feels less exciting to me. It serves the same purpose on "Reanimation" as the original track does on "Hybrid Theory": it's the instrumental before the finale.

"Pushing Me Away" is a song that I liked a lot as a child and which I still have a big soft spot for. I love the way the two guitar melodies harmonise with each other; the electronic rhythmic elements that complement Bourdon's live drums; Chester's singing that sounds like it belongs in a melancholy 80s synthpop song, but which has also been heavily Auto-Tune'd; Shinoda's sprase morose rapping; that perfect melodic guitar hook ... but, nowadays, I kind of don't like the opening line that says "I've lied / to you". The bluntness of it irks me just this tiny bit. It's probably the only thing in the song that I could say I don't fully like.

"Pushing" isn't the most exciting song live, although, because it's played so rarely, it kind of is exciting just for that reason. I like that Shinoda sings the backing vocals during the choruses; I didn't notice that there was backing singing on the studio version until I saw live videos later on. It's also one of the few "Hybrid Theory" songs where Shinoda plays rhythm guitar, a role which, nowadays, he inhabits for every new song that the band write.

The "Reanimation" remix is a fan-favourite (at least, among those who appreciate "Reanimation") and benefits from what I would say is the one-two punch of Shinoda and Delson on production and guitar. This is the track on the album which Shinoda is most proud of and I think you can really feel the effort that he and the others put in to make it great. New beat, new rhythms, progressions, guitar parts, and new vocal parts too! Chester's re-written chorus is a nice switch-up from the original. I really don't like the Taproot guy, though. I hate the sound of his voice on this song and the few Taproot songs that I checked out afterwards. It's the one reason why I don't rate "P5hng Me A*wy" as highly as everyone else does. The lyrics in the intro stanza that he adds are great, though. "P5hng Me A*wy" is one of those tracks on "Reanimation" that surprise you with how aggressively different they are from the songs on "Hybrid Theory", and is one of the best examples of how "Reanimation" isn't your typical 2002 "remix album".

The live version of the song heard on "Live In Texas" is, of course, a fan-favourite even among fans who don't like "Reanimation" (let me give a lighthearted "fuck you" to those people). I actually heard this version first, before discovering "Reanimation" the following year, and, man, was I impressed! In hindsight, the "Reanimation" track is great and all, but it was well and truly brought to life on-stage, which is probably more proof of Shinoda's genius. Live guitars, live bass, live drums, some cool scratched tones from Hahn, and live vocals ... all add an energy that makes the album track sound pretty flat in comparison.

Stephen Richard's voice is completely absent, which is great, and Shinoda handles all of his vocal parts beautifully! "Live In Texas" was my first taste of Shinoda's singing, and, really, I think that he should have sung on the "Reanimation" recording instead of fucking Stephen Richards - I mean, really, how has anyone ever thought of that guy as a good singer? But I digress. I guess that Shinoda wasn't that confident a singer at the time and, in any case, Stephen Richards wrote those new lines so I need to give him credit for that. Continuing on that note, Chester and Shinoda harmonise for the intro stanza (which also reappears as part of the bridge) and it sounds so fucking good, and, again, when Shinoda sings his solo part in the bridge, he fucking kills it! Another cool part on the DVD when they're playing that song is the little where, I think, this lens flare hits the camera, and it cuts to the band playing right when the second verse bursts in. Really, that whole song is one big magical moment on "Live In Texas" and is easily one of the DVD's biggest highlights. The quality of the recording that makes up that release is what I'd call perfect, and I'm very thankful that such a good-sounding professional recording exists of "P5hng Me A*wy" being performed live. :)

Needless to say, I am endlessly jealous of anyone who attended a 2004 "Meteora" show and got to experience that song live, and I hope, probably in vain, that they add it to the set again one day. I think that that live performances made everyone wish that the band would re-record the song and give it more of that live feel.

EDIT: oh, yeah, Shinoda and Chester used to do that piano-based version of "Pushing" live as well, from 2006 through to 2008 or something. I loved hearing that version for the first time on the sixth Linkin Park Underground CD ... but, later on, I had heard it way too many times and I got sick of it. Greatly prefer the other two versions of the song live.

14. Louis

Louis Message me if you need to talk. We love you all. LPA Team

I missed out on Forgotten, so I'm just going to write about all three songs - albeit briefly.

- - - -

Forgotten - I always forget how much I like this track. I think it's the one track off of Hybrid Theory that I seem to forget about every time. It's not because it's not memorable, but I guess it's just that one track for me. I always really liked it though. I love the back and forth between Mike and Chester in the chorus, and I always thought these were some of Mike's best verses on the album. As others have alluded to in other threads, this is where Mike is at his best - as a painter. Granted, I do think the lyrics he used for the Reanimation mix were a lot stronger, but those were also very much in strong reference to the lyrics the song had at its early beginnings.

I also just really love the remix because of how dark it sounds, and I sincerely love Chali 2na's verse on this record. As Tony mentioned earlier, they are some of the best on Reanimation.

- - - -

Cure for the Itch - I like this song a lot, too. I think it's the one song I used to skip a lot because the intro with the coughing and hacking bothered me. I remember the first time I really bothered to give it a listen. I liked it a lot. Granted, I don't think it's as good as "Session" or other Linkin Park instrumentals, but it is good. Its Reanimation remix is so much stronger, though. It is a lot more atmospheric (as most songs are), and I just love how much scratching it gives us. It builds up to its end, and I really respect that. I also like how it uses sound-bytes from other Hybrid Theory EP era tracks.

- - - -

Pushing Me Away - For a long time, I sat in the Reanimation camp on this one. The remix was so strong. Its performance on Live in Texas was really quite good. It was perhaps one of the best live performances I've seen the band pull off, and I think it is one that reminds people what the band is capable of. I love the added verses, the changes made in the lyrics and chord progressions. It's such a powerful remix, and I think it makes sense why it is such a fan favorite.

However, the original off of Hybrid Theory to me will always stand as perhaps the best track off of that album. Granted, the song struggles live - and as such as been transformed to a piano-vocal duet - which is great too. Despite that, I love the original track. I love Chester's voice on the song, and I sincerely love the chorus and the backing vocals on the chorus. He has this growl in the songs that don't exist elsewhere on the album like they do on this one. It gives me chills every time, and I guess that's really what I like so much about it.

There's more I wish I could say, but I'll give so much more attention to Meteora​ since I feel like I'm probably the biggest fan of that record on these boards. :lol:

15. heafy

heafy Member

Cure for the itch: it's not one of my favs i can tell, but i love the fact that joe has his own part in the whole album even if they are a band and as a band every member is equal. seen that joe might not be seen that much i thinks it's great to hear it with an own song. in my opinion this song represents his early years, where his sounds where less smooth and more primitive.

Pushing me away: this song is part of me since ever. it made me cry, it made me grow and tought me to move on. the melody is so melancholic and sweet at the same time, like a sad lullaby. then it grows until it explodes in that beautiful chorus. it's a beatiful song full of ups and downs for what concerns the energy and the meaning itself. i love it. it gives me strenght everytime i listen to it, because i feel i am not the only one who needs to struggle and to go on.. the song can be played in many ways, i love the reanimation version with chester singing the "reverse psychology" part, i think that his tone there is incredibly hot and broken, love it. i heard the piano version with the live at milton keynes concert and i had been amazingly shocked. so smooth, so gentle and melancholic. the original version tells about the rage about being pushed away while the piano one tells about the passive defeat of being pushed away.. two versions put in the right order that explain how human beings really work. at first we react, we are angry about it, then we accept it even if we are still sad.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2014
  16. minuteforce

That's actually Stephen Richards' singing, and we'll have to disagree if you think that he sounds "incredibly hot and broken" :lol:

17. Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

My experience with "Cure for the Itch" was quite similar to Tony's. I had absolutely no idea what it was. So for a long time I didn't like it. What's interesting is that my little brother loved it from the first time he heard me playing it. Also, I didn't understand the title until I joined this site. Someone (I would say Hybrid, but I'm not too sure) commented how "the pun in the title is amazing". So I started thinking about it, and when I got it... :lol:! Nowadays I like the track, and I prefer it over Kyur 4 Th Ich.

Pushing Me Away is a track I loved upon first listen, and for a while after that, but I don't really like it anymore. People here think of it as the highlight of the album and I just don't know why. It might be the fact that Numb, which I hate, is similar to it. The track just doesn't sit right with me. P5hng Me A*wy on the other hand... The absolute highlight of Reanimation and just one of the best moments in Linkin Park's discography. Love everything about it. Love Steven Richards' verse, and I was just shocked to see Mike do it during Live in Texas. Everything about this track... :wub:

18. lime treacle

lime treacle You are not alone Über Member

"Cure for the Itch" offers a nice break from the seriousness and heaviness of the album with a quirky intro which leads into a classic, ambient Linkin Park instrumental.

"Pushing Me Away" closes the album in a beautiful melancholic sentiment, the bouncy verses leading into a massive chorus, the reminiscence and size of which serves as a perfect finale for Hybrid Theory. The piano version is simply gorgeous, serving as a chance to highlight Chester's abilities as a singer, and is one of the many highlights of Road to Revolution: Live at Milton Keynes.

"P5hng Me A*Wy" offers more of the vibe of the original, albeit in a heavier fashion and with a stronger electronic element. The chorus is reworked into one of the best things in general on Reanimation and is only complimented by Stephen Richards' verse which is a great addition to the storyline that follows a failing relationship.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2014
  19. Atticus

Atticus Bullets lance the bravest lungs

I couldn't have said it better myself.

Pushing Me Away falls in the same category as With You to me, in that both tracks really feel thematically intimate compared to the more alienation/infuriation inspired album. This time though, rather than desiring someone like in With You, Pushing Me Away reveals an absolutely broken individual, that has to learn the hard way how to move on. At least, that's how I interpret it. I've always loved the melody throughout the track and have found it fantastic at what it does - which is nothing truly spectacular, but just overall a solid Linkin Park nu-metal song.

Considering I joined this forum at the end of the Minutes To Midnight era, I never got a consensus on whether people considered the piano version to be absolutely beautiful or a dull and cheesy afterthought. I personally consider it to be incredible, and it was one of the few songs I've ever heard able to bring a tear to my eye when I was feeling down.

P5hng Me A*wy is an unbelievable transformation of a song. It completely revolutionizes Pushing Me Away and the result is a substantially more superb song. I hold a deep connection to this track in particular, as it helped me through one of the most difficult circumstances in my entire life. Years later I still believe it is a glorious piece of music on it's own, which makes the connection all the sweeter.

20. The Joesen One

The Joesen One Fun-employed LPA Super Member

"Cure for the Itch" is, for me, what sets them apart from other bands - a largely rock-inspired DJ set with ambiance that's beautiful and great to breakdance to. "Kyur4thItch" makes it go hard though.

"Pushing Me Away" was a simple rock ballad for me with catchy verses. "P5Hng Me A*wy" is clearly superior, since its atmospheric moods, accompanied by the new chorus and Stephen Richards' bridge, take it to soaring new heights.