"Session" - Song by Song, Let's Talk Linkin Park

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by hawk, Jul 2, 2014.

1. polleo

polleo You're gonna carry that weight. LPA Super Member

This song's vocals and lyrics are so powerful. I just love the different layers in the music. The best song off Meteora for me too.

2. Michele

Michele Praise Brad Delson, our Lord and Savior. LPA Addict

Breaking The Habit, one of my most favorite LP Songs ever. I love all about it. The intro with the strings, the verses and the damn chorus. Maybe the most important Linkin Park song for me. It sounds cheesy, but this song brought me through some hard time :cry: This song is so emotional for me , all fit there. THe lyrics, chesters singing , the instruments. Nothing could be better in this song in my opinion. And the music video : :worship: I dont have many LP singles, but i sweared that i need the Breaking The Habit DVD. Well, i paid 20€ for it but i think it was worth :lol: This has to be the first LP Song i ever listened to and now i love it more and more. Well , i thought that this never could happen, but after some years i think Numb has to get #2 for Breaking The Habit get #1 in my personal LP list. Most emotional song for me. And it changed a bit my life. Real shit.

Captain-EO likes this.
  3. TobinKnowsBest

TobinKnowsBest 20.03.1976 - 20.07.2017 LPA VIP

The Smokeout 2003 and Summer Sonic 2006 performances of BTH were beyond incredible

4. GraveDigger388

GraveDigger388 Nothing's gonna top my Jacky

I think the iTunes Festival 2011 was the best.With 'The Radiance' intro where Chester was having a moment of silence,the whole atmosphere was so chilling

5. The Joesen One

The Joesen One Fun-employed LPA Super Member

"Breaking the Habit" is one my favorite songs from the band, simply because it's a turning point in the band's career. The uptempo beats, minimal guitars and synths compliment Chester's anguished voice and lyrics. The music video is one of my favorites as well. It's great live, which is why I'm disappointed the band cut it from their THP set. "Drawing" is one of their best demos as well.

6. Halfway Dwight

Halfway Dwight We are the fortunate ones.

One of my favorite songs from LP. I also really like the music video.

7. Atticus

Atticus Bullets lance the bravest lungs

Firstly, I never even considered Figure.09 to be By Myself 2.0 and now that I've read some comments and listened to the track for the first time in probably a year, what has been seen cannot be unseen. Regardless, the track just hits so fucking hard that it's alright. In fact, much like Don't Stay, it is far superior to it's Hybrid Theory counterpart, mainly due to that classic patented Meteora steroid injection of loud overproduced energy.

Now, onto Breaking The Habit. In a pre-MtM world I considered this track to be an utter masterpiece from the band. They created something meaningful and melodic while also being completely outside their box of nu-metal material. Now that Linkin Park has further expanded their musical landscape, Breaking The Habit has become more and more subpar as the years have gone on. I do however fully respect the subject material of the song and the impact it had on Chester.

Quite possibly the single most emotionally jarring performances of the band's career were during Breaking The Habit's first few premieres. Smokeout 2003 is historical for the first live performance but I remember in particular a bootleg of another performance of the song from either 2003 or early 2004 were Chester is literally heard trembling in the last chorus and can barely complete the song due to the emotions.

8. Bawa

Bawa Could wait to see tomorrow.

Breaking the Habit will always remain my favourite song the band has produced. The damn thing hits me so hard every time, always inducing shivers down my spine.

9. Andreina

Andreina Proud Venezuelan LP fan. LPA Contributor

Breaking the Habit. A favorite.

It's a timeless song for me. And it has a lot of meaning, I don't really connect to it in a personal level but the story in which the song revolves, the fact that it's about a real life experience from a band member makes it unique. Also this is a song in which guitars are in the back seat, and it's something that many neutrals seem to overlook when they claim that LP's "thing" was all about the "guitarz". The vocals in this song are very clean and it's one where Chester's vocals really shine, especially when it's done in a stripped down version (aka piano only), it's brilliant.

The video is awesome, the approach, the technique, it's different and there's a lot of work and art put into it. I own the Breaking the Habit Cinemanga DVD and art book and it's an absolute gem, I do not regret one single bit buying it, you get to see the whole process in which the video was made, the movements done by the band performing vs the animated result, it's really cool. The people who made the animation are super talented and captured the essence of the song perfectly, matching side stories with the band takes.

Anyways, this is another great song from LP, that will be remembered for years to come, it's a classic, it's different from the songs of its era, it has great vocals and instrumentation, and live it can be just sublime. There's not much more I can say.

10. Tyler

Tyler Well-Known Member

BTH is a great way to show how the band can experiment and be different. Comparing Hit the Floor to BTH, and they are on the same album! It's like comparing Shadow of the Day to Given Up, two other vastly different songs.

I hope they use live strings more often.

11. minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

We're up to "From The Inside" now. :)

This song is another especially heavy number on "Meteora". It holds the distinction of being the very first Linkin Park song that wasn't in 4/4 time.

We heard the beginnings of this song on 2001's "Frat Party At The Pankake Festival" during a part where Phoenix is seen tracking bass parts for it on Linkin Park's tour bus. This obviously places that footage some time during 2001, but, curiously, the liner notes from the "Meteora" booklet tell us a different story:

Anyway, according to Shinoda, Phoenix was the one who came up with the initial idea for the "From The Inside". In the track-by-track description of "Meteora" that he provided for Shoutweb in 2003, he went into a fair bit of detail about the process that the band went through creating the song:

This is all succinctly expressed in the liner notes, which say:

On writing lyrics and vocal parts for the song, Shinoda said:

"From The Inside" was one of two songs where Chester's vocal recording did not get completed during the album's allotted production time; due to a viral infection that inhibited his ability to sing, these last vocal recording sessions were delayed and ended up happening as the mixing process for the album began in New York.

In 2003, "From The Inside" was picked as an international single, and the fourth single from "Meteora" overall. The music video for "From The Inside" (along with the video for another then-upcoming single from "Meteora") was filmed in Prague, in the Czech Republic, while the band was in the midst of a tour in that area. The video, written up and directed by Linkin Park's own Joe Hahn, required many, many local extras in order to depict a riot happening amidst the city's beautiful architecture. At the center of the video's plot is a child protagonist who was portrayed by Chester's son Jamie. Regarding the video, Hahn said this in an interview with MTV in 2003:

The "From The Inside" video premiered in late 2003, a couple of months prior to the release of "Live in Texas"; a couple of audio tracks from the live album were included on the "From The Inside" single CD. The video was released primarily to channels in Europe and the UK. Because it saw little promotion in the U.S., "From The Inside" did not chart well there and, as such, was the least-successful single to be released for "Meteora".

Some footage from the video shoot was released for members of Linkin Park Underground in 2003. Some of that was later very briefly shown in an LPTV episode in 2007 that documents the band's time in Europe during their 2003 "Meteora" world tour. This was part of a series that aimed to get fans up to speed on the band's history in the lead-up to their third studio album.

"From The Inside" was first played live during the band's first show of 2003 in Milano, where many songs from "Meteora" also saw their live debuts. The first performance of the song that was broadcasted on television, however, happened in the UK on a programme called "CD:UK".

Later on, MTV2 filmed and broadcasted a show in Detroit which was part of the band's LP Underground tour in 2003.

12. Tocaraca

Tocaraca A part of me screams away silently

From The Inside is a very nice song. The verse is a bit sad (not the lyrics, the sound) and I like how spleeeeeeg

13. Michele

Michele Praise Brad Delson, our Lord and Savior. LPA Addict

Well , i think From The Inside is a really good song, i like it, really. BUt to be honest this is one of the songs i didnt care about so much. Dont know why.

But i like Chesters voice here very much... The "play" with Mike fits good into the song. And than the chorus explode. One of the most enjoyable heavier LP Songs.

Also the bridge hits hard. All in all its another good LP Song. Nothing to dislike about in my opinion.

Captain-EO likes this.
  14. Atticus

Atticus Bullets lance the bravest lungs

From The Inside is trademark Linkin Park material. The soft melodic verses are simple yet endearing, yet the chorus is immensely powerful. I'd argue, that from a "wall of noise" perspective, this track is the heaviest from Meteora. The chorus hits like a freight train and the bridge strikes like a megaton warhead. Chester's chaotic screams and that crushing guitar riff make for a heavy sound that's hard to overcome. Easily one of the highlights of Meteora.

15. Bawa

Bawa Could wait to see tomorrow.

This song plays off of the usual Linkin Park style of soft, melodic verses with rap interplay and the exploding chorus and bridge, and it's done better here than in most songs on Meteora. Something about this song rubs me the right way, and with it's heaviness still doesn't lose it's emotional drive, and its quite a beautiful thing. I could do without the rapping, which feels a little out of place here to me, but meh, doesn't go so far as to ruin the song for me.

Also, Minuteforce, I really love what you are doing with the song posts now, really nice to read through ;3

16. Halfway Dwight

Halfway Dwight We are the fortunate ones.

When I heard it the first time I didn't like it. But some years later I heard it again and now it's one of my favorites from Meteora.

17. lime treacle

lime treacle You are not alone Über Member

Did someone say "From the Inside"?

:chocoface:

18. minuteforce

"From The Inside" was a song that I didn't take much note of at first, outside of "it's good like the rest of the album" ... but, now, I consider it to be my favourite song from "Meteora", maybe alongside "Session". I don't know if Chester having been sick during its recording (or maybe just right before) has anything to do with it but I feel like there's something special in the vocal performance underneath all of the effects. I know that, to most people, there isn't really anything special to be noted about the song but the rage just feels a little less cheesy than usual to me. :p I think that the 6/8 time signature also removes it a little from being tagged "nu-metal" - to me, it just sounds like a big rock song

The video from "From The Inside" is also one of my top-favourite LP videos. I say again that the band had a great run of consistent high-quality music videos during 2003 and 2004 and "From The Inside" is a shining example. The violence in the riot scene matches the aggression in the song and the band members look badass in their performance shots. I would later be disappointed by "Shadow"'s riot scenes and still don't feel that they live up to the "From The Inside" video.

"From The Inside" sounds more or less the same live as it does on the album, although maybe the chorus vocals lose some of their lustre ... but, otherwise, there isn't a whole lot to be said about live performances but I love the one that MTV2 broadcasted. Chester sounds like he's just lost control during the bridge. His screaming in 2003 and 2004 was really something to behold. The first live recording I ever heard was one from a 2003 LP Underground show that was included on one of the "Numb" single CDs. There's a delay on Chester's screaming during the bridge in that recording that I don't think I've heard in any other one

19. Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

Fuck, I keep forgetting about this thread.

''From The Inside'' is often mentioned as the Meteora song that doesn't sound like Hybrid Theory. I do not get this. You could literally put it anywhere on that album, no one would notice. Regardless, I like the song, as much as the ringing of the powerchords in annoying at this point of the album. Chester + Mike vocal combination during the verses is very My December-ish. I like the synth that runs through the chorus and at the very beginning of the song. The guitar in the breakdown is enjoyable, and what I love about it is how it backs up the agression of Chester's vocals, which, upon my first listen, I thought was by far the heaviest thing I've ever heard. Overall, another Meteora song, you can put it in the good Linkin Park bucket.

I always hated the kid in the video. Beside that, I agree the video is super badass. I love how it feels like it's such a big scene, so many people... Something LP doesn't do these days. Unfortunately.

20. minuteforce

Yeah, I stopped liking the kid after the hundredth time or something :lol: and that sense of largeness and expansiveness in the video is something pretty much all of the "Meteora" videos have in common; even "Somewhere I Belong" to an extent