"Session" - Song by Song, Let's Talk Linkin Park

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by hawk, Jul 2, 2014.

1. Rivendare

Rivendare Well-Known Member

"Crawling" is brilliant. Still one of my favorite LP songs to this day. Although as much as I'm not a fan of Reanimation, it's rendition of Crawling is just as good, possibly better

2. Atticus

Atticus Bullets lance the bravest lungs

I'm going to be the odd man out in saying I despise Crawling. From the moment I heard it, it felt rather cheesy, and with every year that passes the song loses more and more favour in my eyes. It carries a powerful chorus that's for sure, but I just can't stand the song. I'm glad it's finally been removed from the set lists as it's been a low point of their live shows for years now.

Krwling, on the other hand, is about as close as one can get to a remixed masterpiece of an otherwise cringeworthy song.

3. UltimateLegend

UltimateLegend Well-Known Member

I agree with everything you said, honestly. Although I will say, the instrumentation is pretty interesting/great in the original.

4. The Joesen One

The Joesen One Fun-employed LPA Super Member

"Crawling" has my favorite metal riff ever, and it's still one of my favorite LP songs ever.

5. One More Rob

One More Rob Well-Known Member

honestly I prefer KRWLNG over the orignal anyday

isnt there a topic somehwere on here, where people could compile what they would do (like use the original or Reanimation version?)

6. lime treacle

lime treacle You are not alone Über Member

The song doesn't have a prominent riff and isn't focused on one. :obama:

7. Louis

Louis Message me if you need to talk. We love you all. LPA Team

What I always liked about "Crawling" was how powerful Chester's voice was. There's something about the studio recording that I still like - the lyrics aren't bad, and I thought the video was pretty interesting at the time. I like Mike's voice in the song - just the authority and deepness of it in the moments it appears are a nice complement. I dno, I guess looking back it's not a song that I dislike. Granted, it's an awful song live - which is good that the band doesn't perform it so much anymore.

"KRWLNG" is the far better song. Aaron Lewis beautifully complements Chester's vocals. I love the orchestral backing and the atmosphere of the remix. I love the small glitches in Chester's vocal parts, and I just love how the song builds. Such a powerful way to close Reanimation and really an awesome way to make a good song into a great song.

8. Tyler

Tyler Well-Known Member

This was the first song I heard when I was in kindergarten and some kids from 8th grade did a lip sync to it at school. I pictured something like Venom from Spiderman because of the whole consuming part. I liked it.

As for the live setting, as a stand-alone, it is not a staple of the setlists. Now they are doing a super short version of it just to get it in there and over with, but that doesn't even need to stay. I do like what they have done to it over the years though.

And has no one mentioned those? Mike rapping Hands Held High over KRWLNG is one of the most powerful things I have seen them do live. In addition to that, Chris Cornell has even come out to sing on it!

The remix is cool too, not my favorite from Reanimation, but I like how it became an entirely different song. Phoenix really needs to show off those string skills again, and it was an early showing of Mike's best production abilities.

9. minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

Oh, yeah, that was cool. Definitely one of the best LPU-exclusive live recordings

10. Michele

Michele Praise Brad Delson, our Lord and Savior. LPA Addict

One of the first songs of LP i listened too. With Numb/Encore the only song i had on my first Mobilephone (It just got 8MB xD).

Love KRWLING too, but i miss the long reanimation Intro on the live performances, love that :)

Captain-EO likes this.
  11. Lotus

Lotus LPA VIP LPA VIP

Good song, but I rarely listen to it. I'm not a big fan of the chorus, but the verses are great. I love the soft vocals on them. I think I prefer KRWLNG though.

12. Bawa

Bawa Could wait to see tomorrow.

Crawling has always felt overly cheesy to me, the chorus is powerful, but I feel like it misses the mark on lyrical content and just comes off feeling cringeworthy. Chester's verses, on the other hand are beautiful, but I think Mike's little interludes are really out of place and just sound silly as hell in the otherwise beautiful flow of things. Definitely one I skip, because as a whole, it just doesn't do it for me.

13. Elaine

Elaine The One They Call Elaine. LPA VIP

Crawling is what cemented the band forever to be mocked. And over time, I've fallen out of love with their first two albums. So... Yeah. Suffice it to say, Crawling is eugh.

14. brady

brady I am the LPA LPA Super Member

I really don't have anything nice to say about Crawling, so I won't talk about it.

So I'll just talk about Krwlng. Krwlng for me is one of my favorite songs of all time. The strings, the buildup, the chorus (those fucking harmonies), the glitch added to the vocals at points, all sooooo fucking awesome! I even gotta give Aaron Lewis some credit, the vocals he provided definitely added a nice touch to the song. Mike's remixes are always the best, it just goes to show how fucking talented he is.

A solid 10/10 for this song.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2014
    Captain-EO likes this.
  15. Snail

Snail LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

Crawling - I used to play this every single day from 2001 - 2007. I made it a self-imposed tradition to listen to it atleast once a day. #imsocool.

16. brady

brady I am the LPA LPA Super Member

That's not healthy.

Captain-EO likes this.
  17. hawk

hawk because the internet LPA Super VIP

Runaway / Rnw@y

moving on ... for some reason, "Runaway" was always one of my favorite songs
    off 'Hybrid Theory'. the synth, or whatever that thing is, during the intro will always
    ring something special for me. the bridge was, and still is, damn awesome.

the reanimated "Rnw@y" didn't do much for me, although i loved the layering of
    the vocals during the chorus.

18. minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

IMO, basically the only interesting thing about "Runaway" would be the electronica elements which are prominent in the intro. Basically all the other things in the song - drums, guitars, vocals - are kind of boring by this point during the album. I quite like the lyrics in the verses, but the lyrics throughout the rest of the song are really uninteresting. "Hybrid Theory" wasn't well-received by professional critics, and I think that "Runaway" is the best example for why that was the case.

Pretty much the only reason that I like seeing the band play "Runaway" live is because they rarely do it, but I'm sick of it already now.

As for the rmx, I like Chester's re-written verses as much as I like the original ones and, sonically, it's a little more interesting, I guess, but, for me, it's definitely one of the middle-ground tracks on "Reanimation". Phoenix Orion's guest verse is easily my least-favourite guest verse on the album (along with another one which I dislike just as much). If you put aside Chester's verses, my favourite thing about "Rnw@y" is probably that it leads into "My<DSMBR" ...

19. Bawa

Bawa Could wait to see tomorrow.

Runaway is one of those songs that could have been so much better if they just worked a little more on fleshing out the whole thing. Really, I like the very wet feel to the song. The best part here is the verses, which are in my opinion, Chester's best verses on the whole album. Sort of sound like they might been written for Mike to begin with, but Chester delivers them in a beautiful way. Sadly, the chorus fails to impress. It sounds very generic, with the clearly sliced up lyrical sections placed in succession, and very generic angsty lyrics. Which is a shame considering how well written the verses are. The bridge is a little uninteresting for me as well. So, that's it really for the song. Mostly generic and uninteresting, but it does hide some of the best verses on the whole album, which is something, I guess.

20. Alexrednex

Alexrednex Well-Known Member

I agree with eveything said about Runaway this far. The verses are beautiful and I love the electronic sound from the reanimation version but the chorus and bridge falis to make the song feel special.