"Session" - Song by Song, Let's Talk Linkin Park

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by hawk, Jul 2, 2014.

1. Andreina

Andreina Proud Venezuelan LP fan. LPA Contributor

Oh fuck I missed Crawling :( damn it was probably cause of the world cup craze :lol:

Runaway, well I do like the melody on the verses, the guitar riffs are really catchy and the bridge is a punch to the face despite the lyrics, but at the end of the day I do sincerely say it's probably one of the weaker tracks both in HT and Reanimation for me, it's not like one day I go and deliberately choose it to play on my MP3, but still it's an enjoyable song (I'm a sheep I know lol).

2. Michele

Michele Praise Brad Delson, our Lord and Savior. LPA Addict

My least favorite on HT.

I like the intro but the rest isnt that interesting.

Captain-EO likes this.
  3. lime treacle

lime treacle You are not alone Über Member

I LOVE the melody and the lyrics of the verses, as well as the interesting electronic sounds in the intro and elsewhere.

And Tony, the album was well-received by professional critics...

4. Top2Bottom

Top2Bottom Well-Known Member

The bridge blew me away every time as a kid lol. Definitely one of the sections of HT that won me over. The rest of the song is nice, good melody, but it's a build up to that manic bridge that carries the song.

5. brady

brady I am the LPA LPA Super Member

Runaway is my most hated Linkin Park song ever. I can not stand that song. The chorus especially is the worst part of the song with its laughable lyrics. On The other hand the Reanimation version is much better and is actually tolerable.

Captain-EO likes this.
  6. Louis

Louis Message me if you need to talk. We love you all. LPA Team

"Runaway" and its Reanimation mix don't exactly impress me. I mean, I find the Reanimation version to be a lot more interesting - changed verses, more atmospheric, etc. I like the chorus without the alternating lines. At the same time, it's just not a song that ever stuck with me. It's one of those songs that I think makes people hate Linkin Park, because it's so childish.

Not memorable, but it's not the worst song in Linkin Park's catalog.

7. Sonic

Sonic Searching for the last Chaos Emerald... LPA Super Member

They should have just remastered Stink 'n Move instead of changing it all to what became Runaway.

8. minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

Oh.

Well, that might just have been my bias talking, then. I guess what Louis said might be more accurate:

9. UltimateLegend

UltimateLegend Well-Known Member

One of my least favorites by the band. Again, interesting instrumental, but the lyrics are so bad, which honestly makes it unlistenable for me.

10. The Joesen One

The Joesen One Fun-employed LPA Super Member

I don't like this song at all. I only like the instrumentation and the bridge. That's about it.

11. Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

Runaway. The first time I heard it was on this video. I thought it was freaking great, the bridge just fucked me in the head. So for months I'd play that version, not really realizing the studio version is gonna be different. My first listen of the studio version left me really disappointed, I was like... wtf is this shit? The bridge seemed so weak to me, and it kinda still does, I still prefer the live version I linked to earlier. I don't have much complaints about the lyrics - they're fine, I actually like the lyrics in the bridge. The instrumentation is fine, apart from the drums. The drums kinda sound weak and uninteresting. Kick kick snare. I do quite like the synth though, it makes a nice atmosphere for the song. So Runaway isn't my favorite from Hybrid Theory these days. It's just ok.

Rnw@y. Not my favorite on Reanimation either. At some points a step up from the original, but overall another meh song.

12. polleo

polleo You're gonna carry that weight. LPA Super Member

The verses are beautiful, too bad the chorus ruins everything. LP make good lyrics if they want to I guess.

13. Tyler

Tyler Well-Known Member

Probably the best thing about this song is that it is what gave us One Step Closer. When they were having trouble writing Stick N Move/Runaway, they wrote OSC to take away the stress.

14. Atticus

Atticus Bullets lance the bravest lungs

Runaway has always felt like such a cookie-cutter nu-metal track to me. While the verses are in fact the highlight, the chorus is overly silly and feels like what a 12 year old kid would say to his mom when she didn't buy the right brand of cookies. The screams in the bridge used to be absolutely badass, but they've become overshadowed by just about every other screamy bridge the band has made since (including the remaining songs on this album) it's just rather soulless.

That said, the instrumentation has a nice kick to it, and the added electronica is a nice touch to try and set it apart form the rest of the album. Sadly it fails in that regard.

15. lime treacle

A 12-year-old would not react like that to his mother not buying him the right brand of cookies.

16. AaronJxD

AaronJxD Well-Known Member

Speak for yourself :p

17. lime treacle

:huh:

18. hawk

hawk because the internet LPA Super VIP

By Myself / By_Myslf

19. Snail

Snail LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

By Myself is definitely a mega favourite of mine. A hard-hitting track with a dark, beautifully atmospheric undertone.

20. lime treacle

I don't think there's anything I dislike about this song.