Should LP do a full Hip hop album?

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by MattLP, Jul 8, 2015.

MattLP

MattLP No control No surprise

That would actually be pretty cool, i think he killed it with sabotage

polleo

polleo You're gonna carry that weight. LPA Super Member

I Agree.

abbaslp

abbaslp Fortyoneaxes

yeah....there should be a hip hop or rap rock album!!!!! like Hybrid Theory EP......joe should do some scratching,fans misses that :)

MattLP

Yeah it feels like Joe isnt even in the band any more

BTorio

BTorio Well-Known Member

I know what you're saying and why you're comparing these to rap, but I'm not sure a whole album of Blackouts would ever be recognized as any kind of rap. It could be recognized as rap if Mike has some verses that end with stuff like "Take it Chester!" and then Chester goes off on his yelling/scatting thing maybe. That could be cool, but just on the topic of LP doing a hip hop album, that wouldn't be it lol.

MagmaXtreme

MagmaXtreme Well-Known Member

A full hip-hop album from LP may as well be a Fort Minor project at this point in the band's career. Mike expressed how much overlap there was between LP hip-hop tracks and the kind of stuff he did for Fort Minor previously, ever since the band pursued a more varied sound.

To create a LP hip-hop album would possibly result in an identity crisis for Mike, seeing as he finally made one song in 10 years that fits in an FM project but hasn't planned on anything else, as other hip-hop tracks he made still fit in the LP catalogue and sound.

IMO I don't think we should even be asking this question since we know LP will always give us something different and a full hip-hop album would most likely not be it considering the above reasons.

Xero-G

Xero-G Reborn LP Fan, and plan to stay that way.

While I have consistently enjoyed the elements of hip-hop that LP has brought into its music, I'm not sure an album devoted to hip-hop would work quite as well. It could very well be less of a "hybrid theory" than all their other albums. One thing I don't want to see is the total absence of rapping. Since I don't know all that much about the hip-hop scene and it's current state, I don't fully understand arguments or criticisms against Mike's rapping. I have always found great lines in nearly every verse he has written, even in songs that fans consider to have bad lyrics. I do understand why fans may not like his tough guy rapping as much as his sentimental/symbolic rapping.

One thing I do agree with is that Mike has been using his tough guy style too much lately and hasn't used his older symbolic style in quite some time. I would definitely appreciate seeing him return to writing songs that have deeper, more personal meanings. I do like what he has done more recently, though, so the best of both styles would be ideal.

MattLP

I think if they tried to make more songs like Dedicated it could actually work. Mike is really awesome on that track

Xero-G

Xero-G Reborn LP Fan, and plan to stay that way.

Dedicated is one of my favorite pre-LP songs from the band's discography. If Mike were to channel that raw emotion and sense of urgency in future songs, I think a lot of fans would be on board again with his role as a rapper and might even consider him to be more than average. Every time I listen to that song, I get a different feeling that's distinct from most of the other songs that he raps in. Some of my other favorite songs with prominent verses from Mike are And One, Step Up, Part of Me, Forgotten/Rhinestone, Papercut, and Nobody's Listening, along with several others.

I like how I included practically half of the Hybrid Theory EP and it's not even an official LP release :p