Skylar Grey

Discussion in 'Other Music' started by Jeff, Feb 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Jeff

Jeff WORSHIP LPA Addicted VIP

So after all this talk about her, and the fact that she is now officially confirmed as Holly Brook, what do you guys think of her now?
    For me I think it's great that she is now making a big name for herself that she didn't get as Holly Brook.

Also, 2DopeBoyz put up her original version of Love The Way You Lie, and I personally am loving it way more than the Eminem version.
    http://www.2dopeboyz.com/2011/02/01/skylar-grey-love-the-way-you-lie-original/

The Doctor

The Doctor I wear a fez now. Fez's are cool. LPA Super Member

This is really good. I had no idea she did it first. Doesn't even seem like she got credit for it.

Benjamin

Benjamin LPA team LPA Super VIP

WOW. That's all I can say. I love this. Surely she must have gotten some money/credit for LTWYL no? If not then that's a shame.

BrandonR24

BrandonR24 Well-Known Member

I can't believe its Holly Brook, congrats to her actually kind of getting out there. I always thought she had talent that never got recognized on a wide scale

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

She probably did, but it was probably that no-one felt her name had any value to it at the time. :"

Joe

Joe I'm tried LPA Administrator

Really happy to see her finally getting known. It was hard to see her down and out when she had troubles a couple years back and I'm so glad to finally see her getting some recognition. She will be huge by the end of this year, I'm sure. Look forward to her own music under the Skylar Grey moniker too.

travz21

travz21 Muscle Museum LPA Super Member

I can actually listen to that song. The Eminem version is so cheesy and bad.

Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

If she's credited as a writer she's probably getting some of the royalties.

Agent

Agent Formerly known as Agent Sideburns LPA Über VIP

She's actually nominated for a Grammy for writing Love The Way You Lie, which is fucking awesome!

This is almost a rags to riches story here... just a few months ago she posted a video of her covering Fireflies during the breaktime at work. Look at her now. Damn.

As for the song, I love it. The Rihanna/Eminem version, like travz21, is so damn cheesy. Hot garbage.

MKH

MKH Bat of Gotham LPA Super VIP

[Researches Skylar Grey for the first time]

Justin V.

Justin V. Professional Lurker

She wrote the song and gave it to Eminem. Song writers usually sing the song themselves as a reference version. Nothing new. (Example: Coming home was done by J. Cole as a reference for Diddy's version). I'm sure she got paid.
    "M. Mathers, A. Grant, H. Hafferman". Her real name is Holly Brook Hafferman. So yes, she got credit. No one stole the song. I know Keri Hilson sings for Timbo when he has a song written but it usually goes to another artist (Break the Ice - Britney Spears).

Jesse

Jesse Out of the abyss. LPA Über VIP

Skylar Grey - Holly Brook has always been awesome and this version of Love the Way you Lie is SO MUCH better than the Em and Ri version.

Justin V.

Justin V. Professional Lurker

I like her demo way better too. And it's not really the Em and Ri version, I think this is a demo of "Love The Way You Lie Pt. 2" which was on Rihanna's album. Even though that one still had Em on it lol. So I guess the Ri and Em version?

Astat

Astat LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

I'm really not a fan of anybody assuming a new identity and subsequently acting like their previous persona (and therefore, all their previous music and subsequent fans of it) never existed. But hey, if kicking the fanbase she built up over the last 6-7 years to the curb, throwing out all her previous work, and taking on some "mysterious" alter ego is what she felt like she needed to be able to finally make a ton of money on songwriting royalties from a #1 single, more power to her I suppose.

Also, the name "Skylar" just makes me think of the guitarist with the big ego from Timmy and the Lords of the Underworld. :lol:

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2011
    minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

Yeah, that kind of irks me a little bit as well, to be honest. :x

Jesse

Jesse Out of the abyss. LPA Über VIP

Me too. I still like the music though.

Ree

Ree a female witch. LPA Administrator

I'm glad she's doing well now. She has a great voice and is better than many of the top female singers out there right now, imo *coughRihannacough*

Her name reminds me of Sylar from Heroes who also goes by the name of Gabriel Gray :lol:

[thumb]http://www.virginmedia.com/images/tv-crims-sylar-431x300.jpg[/thumb]

ThaHandyman

ThaHandyman Banned

Wowww, as a huge music fan this is mind boggling :ohno:

Can't beleive I hadn't figured this out yet, but it's pretty cool, she does excellent work with Alex da Kid, hopefully Mike collaborates with her again.

Agent

Agent Formerly known as Agent Sideburns LPA Über VIP

The original version of "It's Raining Again" prod. by Apathy has leaked online. There's another version which made the cut on Holly's EP, O'Dark Thirty. I personally like this one a LOT better.

[video=youtube;sWs6jora3cY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWs6jora3cY[/video]

Dj-Jay

Dj-Jay Active Member

i truly only found out about the name "skylar grey" when i heard i need a doctor, when i found out that shes holly brook, i was pretty impressed, seeing as that she was signed with mike's machine shop records first and he kind of got her out

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.