Something I noticed regarding critic reviews that I find a bit strange...

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by Fragmuffin, Jun 25, 2012.

Fragmuffin

Fragmuffin I wish my friends were bubbles, bubbles...

Now, I've never been one to be very interested in critic reviews for Linkin Park, but, seeing as how Living Things is such a great album, in my opinion, I was curious to see whether or not critics would still hate it for the sole purpose of hating Linkin Park, as they've always seemed to.

But enough of that, because how critics have been receiving the album is not why I made this thread at all. The thing in question that perplexes me, is this: Why do none of the reviews mention Castle Of Glass?

I've read about 6 or 7 critic reviews over the past several days, and every song on the album is mentioned in at least one review - save Castle Of Glass. Now, if COG was a low point on the album or a run-of-the-mill track, I could see why there would be no mention of it, but that's simply not the case, as in reality, it's one of the most unique songs on the album, not to mention one of the favorites among fans here.

And that's really what perplexes me: Why does one of the most unique and memorable songs on the album seem nonexistent according to critics? If I was a casual Linkin Park fan, I'd have had no idea the song even existed based on critic reviews alone.

Did anyone else find the lack of any mention of COG in critic reviews to be a bit strange?

Hybrid

Hybrid Has gone Rogue. LPA Team

Perhaps they were editied out to leave it as a surprise? I haven't heard the song or much on it, so I'm glad I'm in for said surprise. :)

lilj4425

lilj4425 Well-Known Member

Probably wasn't played for the reviewers. Maybe LP wanted to keep it a secret.

Jeff

Jeff WORSHIP LPA Addicted VIP

Actually if you check the Song Description thread, you can find a few reviewers giving pretty detailed descriptions of Castle Of Glass. :)

Fragmuffin

If I'm not mistaken though, most, if not all of those descriptions came from previews and not critic reviews. Not one of the several full critic reviews I've read even made mention of COG. Maybe it's simply a coincidence, seeing as how the song had already been described in previews like you said, but even so, I still find it strange that thus far, I haven't seen any mention of the song in critic reviews.

Blackee Dammet

Blackee Dammet Feminism Is My God Now

There are 12 songs on the album, not every one is going to get a mention.

Fragmuffin

Yes, but when a review mentions every other song in order but casually skips one, doesn't that seem a bit strange to you? That's what one of the reviews I read did, and granted, yes, maybe it IS just a coincidence that one of the few songs on the album that really changed things up wasn't mentioned in any of the 7 or so reviews I read, but even so, it's something I noticed.

I know this could all be just a coincidence, but it just doesn't make sense to me that a song like COG wasn't made mention of even once in any of the reviews I read, especially since it's one of the standout tracks on the album.

travz21

travz21 Muscle Museum LPA Super Member

It's a conspiracy.

Castle Of Glass is very formulaic and fairly bland once you get past the first minute or so. I think a big reason fans like it is because Mike is singing.

mastae

mastae Some Honky

Or you know. The content.

I really like it for the lyrics, but I get what you're saying.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2012
    Fragmuffin

I will admit that I enjoy the first half of the song considerably more than the latter half, mainly because the first half is more eerie and ambient, but even so, I still like it as a whole and think it's one of the best songs on the album. I also prefer Chester's voice over Mike's, so Mike singing isn't really one of the reasons for liking the song - at least not for me.

But yeah, perhaps all of those critics had a similar view as yours and, as a result, didn't bother mentioning the song.

Or, you know, the whole conspiracy theory works too.

Brandon

Brandon I was Ree's 100th follower on Twitter.

I've seen a review mention it. I think they don't because it's a solid song that isn't too much like old Linkin Park, but also not really different like Skin To Bone or Until It Breaks. And with this album, the focus seems to be on what is a throwback to the older stuff, vs the weirder stuff.

So songs like Castle of Glass and I'll Be Gone don't get much attention.

Star Scream

Star Scream Does A Machine Like You Ever Experience Fear

it just comes to my minds that all reviews are just opinion based the results i am looking for are actual statistics, LT is ranked second in this website called sanity.com

you don't want to know who's first give you a tip first name starts with J second name starts with B :lol:

arbiter

arbiter Well-Known Member

It was easily my favourite song off the album. I like Mike's singing voice because of how moody and gentle it sounds. But its not the reason i fell in love with the song as after 5 albums out, he has sang on a fair batch of songs and i don't like every one of them. Castle of Glass may be "formulaic" to you but i thought it was a very inspired and well crafted song, especially in tone. Plus, the song features my favourite harmonies of Mike and Chester.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2012
    Death Slayer

Death Slayer Julian

This.

ZoeLinkingal

ZoeLinkingal The Unforgiving

Mike captured the chorus of CoG better than Chester IMO.

Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

Cheter's chorus is better in my opinion.