something to read for guitarists out there

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by x__x, Oct 30, 2004.

Razan

Razan SUGAAAR!

I don't understand how Slipknot will ever be a boy band they're the one of the scariest musicians I can think of. (If you can call all that non stop screaming noise music). Don't get me wrong I like SOME of their songs though.

Figure11

Figure11 Active Member

I dont know how to play guitar... so..

im still thinking Brad is a great guitar player, lol :brad:

wolfboy

wolfboy Active Member

for all of you saying that solos have no place in LP, that's just a poor excuse. and also for the ones talking about 5-9 minute solos and shit, most solos from regular bands aren't even that long. a 30 sec - 2 min solo is sufficient enough. Believe the members on here when they say Brad's parts are easy. they know what they're talking about. it's just powerchords (that are done with one finger) even I could do it after about a month of learning guitar. go find live video footage of it and you'll see.

think of it this way. powerchords = basic math
    everything in between = algebra/geometry
    solos = calculus

and it doesn't even have to be technical. he could do some finger-picking. he could use an acoustic guitar for some songs. harmonics, barre chords, whatever. if you watched Live in Texas, he did an alteration to Figure09 which is a good thing. Brad just needs to play some lead parts over the songs like someone else already mentioned. or they could get another guitarist to do lead and Brad can be rhythm, or vice versa. or just get Mike to do it when he's not rapping, although i'm sure he's busy enough as is. Guitar is not the only problem though. the other prob is.....

PHOENIX! the bass in LP is almost inaudible. most the time, he's just playing the same thing Brad's playing, just with the bass instead. he needs to separate the bass from the guitar and play it as an individual instrument, instead of an add on to the guitar...if that makes sense. sorry i can't explain it. More bass like in Forgotten should be done. that songs really under-rated btw. it's probably one of their best songs as far as variation goes, along with With You.

Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

It's called sarcasm.

And as for me, having grown up now, I also believe that solos can be a very good thing. I didn't grow up in the time of the solo, but when I heard Three Days by Jane's Addiction, I became an addict.

But I agree that 'the solo' isn't really the style of LP, although from what I've heard, he did have a solo-esque moment for the new intro of Numb during PR.

IN reply to wolfboy though, Brad has used harmonics a lot. He talks about using them in the Making of Meteora because they sound very different. I don't know which songs he uses them on (since the guitar is not my musical instrument of choice). On High Voltage live he isn't really using power chords. At least for most of the song.

There's also the intro to By Myself from Live In Texas.

Mechanical Christ

Mechanical Christ Ein heißer Schrei LPA Super Member

Well no shit. When you have a singer with the name Corey, it has to be a boy-band. [/b][/quote]
    :mellow:

And why is it that if the lead singer's name is Corey, it immediately determines that the band is a boy band? (I can't detect sarcasm, I'm terrible at it)

Jamie

Jamie Super Member LPA Super Member

..aaaannd theres that little acoustic song he played live a few times called 'The Morning After'.

Brad is a bad guitarist...He needs to be writing more stuff like...urm..'A PLACE FOR MY HEAD' thats got some great guitar work, he needs to step away from the 3 power chord thing he has used so far and try maybe a little lead passage through out the song.

Razan

Razan SUGAAAR!

*Brad does use harmonics in "easier to run".
    *Yes, solos do have a place but it isnt nessesary.
    *Before I started taking guitar lessons I would teach myself how to play LP songs because they are SO easy but they are still effective.
    *Phoenix does need to start playing his own stuff I agree.

So am I :mellow:

The_Neo_13

The_Neo_13 Banned

Hahaha!
    That was the funniest article i hav EVER seen!!! :lol:
    "Limp biz-..I mean linkin park"
    haha! Can't stop laughing!

Now THAT is funny! :lol:
    (But chester did play "morning after" didn't he?)

Anyway....brad's a bad guitarist we got the point, even i play better than he does.
    But who cares linkin park is still a great numetal band.

Chris

Chris LPA Addict LPA Addict

See:
    The End, In.

EDIT: Minus the same clothes. [/b][/quote]
    They're not dancing :whistle: