[SPOILER ALERT] The Dark Knight Rises

Discussion in 'The Living Room' started by Agent, Oct 27, 2010.

1. Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

SPOILER DISCUSSION AHEAD. TURN NOW WHILE YOU STILL CAN.

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

If you're talking about Bruce Wayne living in the end in relation to the quote you just posted, I'd like to refute it with a few comments.

1) Batman already lived long enough to see himself become the villain. At the end of The Dark Knight, he willingly becomes the villain to hide what Harvey Dent had become.

2) Batman also died a hero. "But Bruce Wayne is alive!" you may say. Well he's also slightly dead as well. Tombstone and everything. Batman as a separate entity died when the bomb went off, and Bruce Wayne as a primary identity died along with him.

2. StaticOnTheWay

StaticOnTheWay Makin' you all say "woah"

Batman Beyond anyone? :p

3. Minus

Bullshit.

SPOILERS YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED

SERIOUSLY

JUST BE SAFE HERE.

Nightwing movie, anyone?

4. StaticOnTheWay

I'm honestly really intrigued to see where the Batman film franchise heads next...it looks like a Justice League movie will be out in 2015 and they'll be doing spin-offs after that.

Minus, that was actually my first thought at the end of TDKR

5. ChuckCheese

ChuckCheese Did somebody order some cheese? LPA VIP

I was not expecting Robin at all.

6. Minus

I hope DC gets their act together IF they continue the Batman franchise shown in the Nolanverse. Particularly because so much can go wrong and DC doesn't have the best track record in the world.

And I know they'll be going for different universes for the Justice League movie as the Nolanverse and this reboot of Superman don't exactly fit. It'll be interesting to see how it turns out, IF it happens.

EDIT: I was definitely expecting Robin, but not as his first name. When he said "legal name" I was expecting it to be Dick Grayson.

7. StaticOnTheWay

To be honest I hope they leave the Nolan universe how it ended. It was a great ending and it's so open - so many possibilities on what could happen. No need to add more in my opinion.

8. Brandon

Brandon I was Ree's 100th follower on Twitter.

Those are fair points. I guess I just prefer grittier endings but that's a good justification.

But their treatment of Bane is, in my opinion, a bit unforgivable. They spend the entire movie building him up to be this badass embodiment-of-the-shadows match for Bruce Wayne, and then in the span of about 5 minutes they take his interesting back story away from him and assign it to someone else, leaving Bane as nothing more than some meathead doing someone's dirty work, and then he gets killed in an incredibly anti-climatic way.

That plot twist by the way did not exist in the original comic. The only purpose it served in this movie was purely shock and awe, and Bane's character suffered because of it.

9. Minus

SPOILERS SPAMMING TEXT FOR THE CONVENIENCE OF SPOILER-FREE-NESS IN ACTIVITY FEED

SPOILERS SPAMMING TEXT FOR THE CONVENIENCE OF SPOILER-FREE-NESS IN ACTIVITY FEED

Yes well, in the original comic Batman's back gets broken and subsequently healed by a psychic doctor with healing powers.

Also, Jean Paul Valley.

And who's to say that Bane didn't develop part of the plan on his own? He was pretty damn intelligent here, and definitely better than "BANE. BANE. BANE."

10. StaticOnTheWay

I agree with this. It seems like a bit of the story was anti-climactic - also I feel like there wasn't enough of Bruce/Batman in this one. I would've liked to see more time in the pit

11. ChuckCheese

I think he had plenty of time in the pit. And I don't think the twist ruined Bane's character at all. The entire film we see him as a ruthless, unflinching, unemotional monster basically. All this BUT also very intelligent. When the backstory is explained, it didn't really add anything to his character, it just let us know where he came from. Once the twist is revealed, it paints Bane in a whole new light. He was a guy who DOES genuinely care about one person, and was willing to die for them. So he was not a complete monster. It also showed that he was cast out from the League of Shadows for no other reason than his disfigurement. (at least I believe that was the reason).

12. Minus

They painted Bane exceptionally well. He has intelligence, strength, cunning, motive, weaknesses, and the whole shebang. On top of that all of this is done and portrayed with only body language and the eyes. Amazing work.

13. Tim

Tim My perversion power is accumulating LPA Super Member

Let me take that:

I loved it. Still trying to digest what I just watched, but it definitely compares favorably with The Dark Knight and Batman Begins. My only disappointment was letting internet speculation ruin the Talia al Ghul reveal for me a long ass time ago (shouldn't have looked at those stills, dammit!).

14. Blackee Dammet

Blackee Dammet Feminism Is My God Now

Seriously.

Robin John Blake. What the shit.

15. mastae

mastae Some Honky

It has it's flaws, but it pales when considering the grand scope of the film, especially considering it's a final film in a trilogy. One of the things I found most pleasantly surprising (THIS ISN'T SPOILERS) is that the film can stand on it's own, and isn't just falling action, like many final films in franchises (Matrix: Revolutions, HP:DH Part II).

16. Delicious Dave

Delicious Dave I'm gonna drive you into your own anus.

Me and my friend had a bet. He had to give me 2 euro if Batman died. I had to give him 2 euro if Gordon died(shocked that he didn't). None of them died :lol:

17. Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

Saw it tonight, and it was really good!

However, there were a few parts that kind of gave me an "oh, come on!" reaction.

The first was when *SPOILER* Gordon emerged unscathed from the back of that bomb-transporting vehicle after such a violent crash. *SPOILER*
    The second was how *SPOILER* an unstable nuclear bomb was being dragged on the ground and banged into buildings without exploding *SPOILER*
    The third was how *SPOILER* Batman dodged bullets from about 5 gunmen just by shimmying back and forth *SPOILER*
    I also don't know how *SPOILER* Catwoman just magically appeared to blast away Bane. I know you're supposed to suspend your disbelief so that the hero comes right in the nick of time but it was mighty convenient. *SPOILER*

I thought it would have been really cool if *SPOILER* Nolan had pulled an "Inception" and left the ending quasi-ambiguous by having Alfred travel to that vacation spot, locking eyes with someone off screen, and nodding/smiling/showing ackowledgement followed by a fade to black *SPOILER*

Didn't top The Dark Knight for me. I feel like I missed out on half of Bane's dialogue. I also felt the IMAX theatre was almost TOO loud to distinguish what he was saying. Will have to see it again.

18. mastae

mastae Some Honky

19. SuperDude526

SuperDude526 Well-Known Member

I'll post my own review next Friday, because that one will have spoilers and I want to wait a while for everyone to see it so I don't catch flak for spoiling shit (and because I already wrote my blog post for this past Friday).

20. ChuckCheese

Watched it again, and I have a question. What exactly was going on in that opening plane hijack scene?