Stafford Loan

Discussion in 'Serious Chat' started by Apop, Mar 20, 2012.

Apop

Apop LPA VIP LPA VIP

Not sure how many other college students or high school students preparing for college are apart of the forums here, but this is something scary. I'm attending an in-state school with a scholarship and, for everything, I'm paying about $25,000 a year as it is. The increase of the interest rates only means life will be that much more difficult after I graduate. Hopefully I land a well-paid job somewhere, that seems to be the only hope.

Tim

Tim My perversion power is accumulating LPA Super Member

Dayum. I'm glad I didn't need to take out any loans. Annual tuition hikes are bad enough.

College is like dating a fucking gold digger sometimes.

travz21

travz21 Muscle Museum LPA Super Member

I'm surprised the rates aren't higher with the president talking about possibly pardoning all current student loan debt (lol wut?).

But college these days is pretty ridiculous. Everyone is going, getting in debt, and not getting jobs because of the combination of too many people in their field + a terrible economy. A lot of these people rack up a debt of $60k+ before interest and will be making $25k a year before taxes starting out. It just doesn't make sense.

I'm lucky to only have gone to a ~$6k a year college for a few years before I dropped out. My sister is graduating this summer from Montana and is paying something like $15k a year there. The risk of college debt isn't worth the potential payoff anymore. The only way the college market will decrease its prices is when demand drops and government stops giving out grants. Only then will college make sense again. Right now it's a clusterfuck, and as you said, scary shit.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2012
    jedibeaner

jedibeaner Well-Known Member

While I was an undergrad at a University of California school, my tuition went up 30%.
    I can't believe tuition is going up along with interest rates in loans!
    Hopefully I can pay my college debt soon.

Erica

Erica Meh LPA Über VIP

As someone who desperately wants to go back to school this is really quite devastating.

Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

I agree. I've been planning to go back to school for the past year-and-a-half now (I've had some hangups) and this really puts a damper on that plan. I can't work at a damn sandwich shop the rest of my life, especially not with the $15,000 in student loan debt I've already got.

Politics isn't represented by the young ALMOST AT ALL. I feel that so many politicians don't care enough about the younger generation and their future. Our times are going to be pretty grim if the interest rates double, etc. The unemployment level among the younger generation is far too big. It's going to be even harder if Romney or Santorum becomes the president...

travz21

travz21 Muscle Museum LPA Super Member

You can thank minimum wage laws for high unemployment numbers among youths (and in general).