the anorexic thread

Discussion in 'Serious Chat' started by linkin park psycho, Jan 21, 2005.

linkin park psycho

linkin park psycho Banned

i like diet coke the only way i well have soda with cals in it if is dr.pepper or sprit or mountain dew.

Theazninvasion68

Theazninvasion68 It's like blood to a vampire, our tragic desire. LPA Super VIP

lol like i said
    "no soda
    lol :lol:
    but hey
    i cant blame u for it
    its just a sugestion
    soo
    anybody have any thoughts about being anorexic?

linkin park psycho

u talkin to one

Chris

Chris LPA Addict LPA Addict

Ask your best friends if you're to skinny or to fat.

To skinny? Eat alot. Even if you're not hungry.

To fat? Workout. Eat healthy. Someone said that french fries were the same thing as 2½ hours of jogging. So you can eat what you want, as long as you work it out.

Andrea

Andrea best friends. LPA Addicted VIP

I have struggled with anorexia. A few years back I once got my weight down to 89 pounds. I had to go the hospital and get fed intravenously. It was one of the worst experiences ever. I now weigh about 105 pounds but my weight fluctuates due to depression because I tend not to eat hardly anything. I struggle when it comes to eating and I do try to eat but it's hard. My friends are giving me support though and they are trying to help me as much as they can. I'm not as bad as I used to be when it comes to not eating but I still have the symptoms and warning signs of an anorexic person.

Whimsicality

Whimsicality I broke the dam.

Or ask a doctor. Friends are not always dependable for answers to questions like that.

Fun Fact About Anorexia:
    • The longer you go between meals, the more your metabolism slows down.
    • This means, kiddies, your body is trying to gain weight. It's going into "famine mode."
    • This means you're being counterproductive. You may be losing weight, but you're setting yourself up to gain.

If any of that sounds harsh, I'm sorry. It's not a critisism of anyone as a person. No one is perfect and I have my panic moments too where I think I'm too pudgy around the middle.

But we throw around the word "fat" all the time--what the hell does it actually mean? Why does skinny automatically = better? What does everyone here consider fat?

Burningsoul

Burningsoul Well-Known Member

Anorexia isnt the answer, if people think they are too fat i think they should join a gym or somethin, eat healthier, u can even make it fun if u try. Anorexia just causes more problems later on in life.

DiSiLLUSiON

DiSiLLUSiON Ambient

Anorexics are hawt!

:p

Well, hotter then fat people.. :p

$pvcxGhxztCasey

$pvcxGhxztCasey meanwhile... LPA Addicted VIP

:rolleyes:

Andrea

Andrea best friends. LPA Addicted VIP

That was childish.

DiSiLLUSiON

DiSiLLUSiON Ambient

:rolleyes: [/b][/quote]
    Allright: Seriously.. some people are just thinner then normal, and some are wider then normal. But there are always excesses. Anorexic people usually have a different image of themself then how they really are, combined with a need to conform to a perfect image. One they can never attain, because how they view theirself will change along with the real physical changes, so they will never ever be content.

I don't know if there's really any way to help those people, except from accepting them, supporting them and when it really gets ugly, sending them to a shrink...

I do believe that people saying (I don't know if anybody has said it here, haven't read the whole tread) that anorexia comes from the 'perfect image' we see on tv all day and so on, is just plain bullshit. Models aren't that prettier then everyday people, so the people who say that see a bigger difference then there really is, plus the fact that anorexic people still have the problem of having the urge to compare themselves to a perfect self-image they can never ever attain.. That is not the problem of the current media, or what is considered beautiful or not, but the problem of those people who have that urge/disorder.

I mean, if there were no media, and we would still be living in small communities.. then in all probability, they would have something else they had the urge to attain wich they could never attain.. They'd just shift it from their physical appearance to something else, I believe..

Jila

Jila Super Member LPA Super Member

i like food.

i can go a day with only eating a small portion of food, but that usually happens when theres nothing to eat or if im too lazy to go downstairs.

like now, its almost 4 pm and i havent eaten yet. im hungry :(

Whimsicality

Allright: Seriously.. some people are just thinner then normal, and some are wider then normal. But there are always excesses. Anorexic people usually have a different image of themself then how they really are, combined with a need to conform to a perfect image. One they can never attain, because how they view theirself will change along with the real physical changes, so they will never ever be content.

I don't know if there's really any way to help those people, except from accepting them, supporting them and when it really gets ugly, sending them to a shrink...

I do believe that people saying (I don't know if anybody has said it here, haven't read the whole tread) that anorexia comes from the 'perfect image' we see on tv all day and so on, is just plain bullshit. Models aren't that prettier then everyday people, so the people who say that see a bigger difference then there really is, plus the fact that anorexic people still have the problem of having the urge to compare themselves to a perfect self-image they can never ever attain.. That is not the problem of the current media, or what is considered beautiful or not, but the problem of those people who have that urge/disorder.

I mean, if there were no media, and we would still be living in small communities.. then in all probability, they would have something else they had the urge to attain wich they could never attain.. They'd just shift it from their physical appearance to something else, I believe.. [/b][/quote]
    Welll, I think you're partially right. The part about models being just as pretty as everyone else I think is true. But to the weight issue, TV and general popular media IS feeding us thin people. Look at the sitcoms that are popular among teenagers. The vast majority of female main characters are skinny.

edit-
    Jila I'm like that too. I like to eat quite a bit. But if there's no good food in the house I don't eat much.

linkin park psycho

amen to that people........

and plus anorexics see them selfs as fat when they really are to thin..
    here is a site

www.anred.com

its a site with info about eating disorders.

DiSiLLUSiON

DiSiLLUSiON Ambient

Hmm... I really don't see many thin people on tv... I mostly see what passes for 'normal' people, even on sitcoms. Yes, I mean girls with flat bellies and stuff, and not somewhat thicker people. But, you're right, I don't see many thick (what's the word? fat sounds degrading) people either...

But then again, if I look around in the open, in the subway, at school.. The percentage of people being thicker then the thickness on people of tv is really, really small. Just as the numer of people who are thinner are really really small. So it does represent a correct view of a general population of any area (except America, ofcourse, it's well known that the percentage of people who are overweight there is MUCH higher then anywhere else in the world).

But I also think that's a good thing. Though not being thick or thin doesn't neccaserily mean being normal (since I myself am sliightly thin proportioned, but I can eat all I want and still not gain even one single gram, even though I want to, so I wouldn't count that as normal), it usually does mean being healthy, since being really thin or really thick usually means being not healthy.

If they showed more thick people on TV, and more people would get used to that image, then the ones who would normally stay within the accepted range of thickness would suddenly become thicker, or wanting to be thicker as they mold themselves to that image, the image they see every day.

Just look at the Dark Ages.. The royal families ate all they could, since they could, and it was like a form of status for them, just like a fast car and a big house (or something like that) is these days.. It was a status symbol, paintings were made only after they ate extra much for a period, just to appear even thicker, so they would gain more status. It became a trend, with the result that every royal family was overweight. And at the same time, the peasants were underweight (starving). So then both types of populace were not healthy.

I'm not saying that thick people always eat too much or anything. It can just as well be genetic, it depends on the person. But, as you can see in america, where it's more accepted to be thick and eat junk food, there are more people who are thick.

(I hope I touched every point in your post.. it's very, very late here and I'm not really clearheaded anymore hehe)

linkin park psycho

good point dude or chick

Theazninvasion68

Theazninvasion68 It's like blood to a vampire, our tragic desire. LPA Super VIP

odd
    why are we the only ones to have the highs body fat in the world (source: i heard it from the news in 7th grade, not 8th)
    and yet we also have the most fatty food
    IT ADDS UP

most other countrys dont have a chemical in chips that we americans do,(i forgot , i think it makes involentary loose "stools")

overall
    we eat the least healthiest(my guess)

DiSiLLUSiON

DiSiLLUSiON Ambient

(Sorry for the doublepost, but I still can't figure out how to properly quote including post times because of the fact that the quoted text is in another textbox alltogether without tags.)

------

You know, that is actually a very, very good point.

There are 2 meanings of fat or thin:

1) The unofficial one: Where-ever someone draws the line.

If you'd ask me, I say that any girl or boy who's lowest ribs you can't slightly see anymore is fat. If you'd ask a guy I know, he'd say that any girl or boy who's got a flat stomach is too skinny. And he's not even fat himself, according to my standards. Just to accentuate the point that everybody has the line drawn elsewhere.

I might make it more clear by quoting a somewhat blunt phrase: Some guys (or girls) like loads of flesh to hold on to, while others like something that could be blown away by the wind.

and 2) The official one: Anything that's beyond a person's normal BodyMass-Index (BMI).

Being really overweight or really underweight is just not healthy. But stay within these acceptable guidelines, and you're neither fat nor skinny.

Whimsicality

Hmm... I really don't see many thin people on tv... I mostly see what passes for 'normal' people, even on sitcoms. Yes, I mean girls with flat bellies and stuff, and not somewhat thicker people. But, you're right, I don't see many thick (what's the word? fat sounds degrading) people either...

But then again, if I look around in the open, in the subway, at school.. The percentage of people being thicker then the thickness on people of tv is really, really small. Just as the numer of people who are thinner are really really small. So it does represent a correct view of a general population of any area (except America, ofcourse, it's well known that the percentage of people who are overweight there is MUCH higher then anywhere else in the world).

But I also think that's a good thing. Though not being thick or thin doesn't neccaserily mean being normal (since I myself am sliightly thin proportioned, but I can eat all I want and still not gain even one single gram, even though I want to, so I wouldn't count that as normal), it usually does mean being healthy, since being really thin or really thick usually means being not healthy.

If they showed more thick people on TV, and more people would get used to that image, then the ones who would normally stay within the accepted range of thickness would suddenly become thicker, or wanting to be thicker as they mold themselves to that image, the image they see every day.

Just look at the Dark Ages.. The royal families ate all they could, since they could, and it was like a form of status for them, just like a fast car and a big house (or something like that) is these days.. It was a status symbol, paintings were made only after they ate extra much for a period, just to appear even thicker, so they would gain more status. It became a trend, with the result that every royal family was overweight. And at the same time, the peasants were underweight (starving). So then both types of populace were not healthy.

I'm not saying that thick people always eat too much or anything. It can just as well be genetic, it depends on the person. But, as you can see in america, where it's more accepted to be thick and eat junk food, there are more people who are thick.

(I hope I touched every point in your post.. it's very, very late here and I'm not really clearheaded anymore hehe) [/b][/quote]
    Haha yeah, that was good.

But for one, I AM from America, so I see more thick people. And you said yourself there are mostly flat bellies on TV. And you also said yourself that anorexic people don't see themselves as they really are, they just see themselves as Not Perfect. I don't seeing the "ideal body" changing from thin to pudgy anytime soon, but even if it did I think it would be healthier then anorexia. Unless people were making themselves really obese, of course. But a little flab wouldn't hurt anyone.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that pop-culture's ideal body is not smack in the middle of underweight and overweight. It wouldn't hurt people to change their perceptions a little about what counts as being fat.

edit-
    Agreed.

DiSiLLUSiON

DiSiLLUSiON Ambient

But, to be frank: It is. If you take 10 people, who all have the pop-culture's ideal body, chances are that atleast nine of those ten are all very close to the perfect middle of their BMI, wich means that the pop-culture's ideal body is also in the middle of the BMI for that person's length and build, wich in turn means that the pop-culture's ideal body is in fact smack in the middle of underweight and overweight..

edit: Atleast, nowadays. But maybe I'm in over my head here, and the american shows who I see on tv here are not representative for all the american shows.. It is possible, so maybe you are right.