The Car Thread

Discussion in 'The Living Room' started by Harlz, Sep 8, 2008.

Harlz

Harlz More Scared Of You Than You Are Of Me LPA Super Member

Just discuss.
    What do you like the look of, what do you think goes fastest, what do you wanna own, and what do you own?

Personally I'm a huge Honda fanboy, I'd love an NSX more than anything else, even if they're a bit dated now... The fact that it could outdo the majority of Porsche's and Ferrari's etc in its heyday is amazing, considering it was half the price and non turbo etc.

Personally I own a 2000 Civic, 5 speed manual and not too bad considering it's a non-VTEC 1.6
    Realistically I hope to own a Civic Type R/Integra Type R/S one day.

Sonic

Sonic Searching for the last Chaos Emerald... LPA Super Member

I'm totally high on General Motors vehicles, namely Chevrolet. Ever since I was born, all my family has owned were either Chevrolet or Pontiac, old and new. And pretty much allw e've ever had have been trucks or sports cars. I myself own two vehicles. My personal car, a 2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS, and my truck which we all share, a 2006 GMC Sierra 2500 HD. My mom owns a 2006 Pontiac GTO 6.0. I do eventually wanna get a Camaro, either a late-90's or one of the newer ones that are slated to come out in a few years. I also wanna get a project car of some sorts, preferable an '87 Monte Carlo SS.

Daniel

Daniel Run for your life. LPA Super Member

I don't own anything special, it's a 2000 Mazda 323 1.6, 5 speed manual. Does well enough getting me to college every day. Realistically, in the first few years out of college and working at a firm, I'm looking at getting something like this.

While it may seem a bit of a cop out, I honestly like almost anything that'll go fast. European and Japanese cars seem to be my favourite though. It's just fan boys that piss me off. Not like you Harlz :lol:, but the kind of ones that think a Corvette Z06 could beat a Carrera GT. I've just made myself sound like such a car nerd, but oh well. :lol:

Though Harlz, on the topic of the NSX, brand new they actually cost somewhere around $256,000. I'd have rather paid the extra bit of money and gotten a Porsche, but that's just me.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2008
    Todd

Todd FLǕGGȦ∂NKđ€ČHIŒβǾLʃÊN LPA Administrator

I own a 2008 Volkswagen GTI 6-speed manual and I love it.

I hope to own an Audi R8 one of these days. Either that, or a Nissan GTR.

Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

I hate anything with a Honda logo on it. I don't know one single person (in my area) who owns a Honda who isn't a douche bag.

They all think putting a kit on it and doing nothing else makes them cool.

Guess what, jackass? It doesn't.

@ Daniel —
    My buddy had an RX-7. Piece of shit. Don't bother.

Harlz

:lol: I know what you mean.
    Buuut I gotta disagree, it's definitely not just on Honda's around here. Just as many Toyota's, Subaru's and Mitsubishi Lancers with the same shit done to them.
    I hate the morons who take the muffler off and put a huge exhaust tip on it.
    Idiots who don't realise that half the time it lowers your power :lol:

@ Daniel: My uncle had an RX-7, years ago though, so it was older than the one you're looking at.
    He loved it, so yeah.

Sonic

Don't forget that the stickers add horsepower, too!

Daniel

Strange, a friend of mine at college has one and it's fantastic. Different strokes for different folks I guess. Also we're talking about properly modified Hondas here, not FATF style riceboxes. They do have a bit of a bad reputation, even here, but they can be done well. Something like this will eat more expensive sports cars for breakfast.

@11:55 : I here what you're saying. I personally can't stand idiots who just slap a fart can and some stickers on their cars, but a proper modified Japanese car can be awesome. Check out www.jtuned.com for what I'm talking about. Plus at least they can handle. :p

@ Todd: You're my hero for liking the R8 and new GTR.. They're looking at developing an R8 with a detuned RS6 V10, from what I've heard.

JJ

JJ [i cant spoll preply]: LPA Super VIP

[​IMG]

[/thread]

wow.. just wow :lol:

Harlz

Nice clean lines, some degree of practicality, good fuel consumption, amazing power-per-litre (I believe it was the best in the world at the time) and an absolute beast hiding under the bonnet as soon as you hit 5,500RPM, giving it the ability to smoke almost any other sub$100K car on the road.

That's what real Honda's are about.

http://pagesperso-orange.fr/hondaracingclub/sub integra 0611 011.jpg

I don't mean to be a fanboy, but being a Honda owner, I just don't wanna be pigeon-holed in with ricer idiots :lol:

Sonic

Hey, my Chevy handles. It's all about the driver ;)

Daniel

I know, I was joking. For it's class, I'm sure your Monte Carlo handles. It's just sports cars America can't seem to get right. *waits for flaming from Corvette fanboys*

Sonic

I know you were joking, but my car can't even be compared to the Honda's you were talking about. Those types of cars are tiny, so they're gonna handle better. My car is a huge car compared to most cars out there today, and I can still take 20mph on-ramps at 70 or better without much tire squeal. :p

Here's a few pics of my toy.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 10, 2008
    Daniel

I've read some pretty good reviews of the Monte. Hides it's size quite well, so I've heard. There's a lot worse cars you can pick for the price.

Which is one thing that annoys me about America, your cars are so damn cheap :lol: . Well, barring mark ups.

Nice ride by the way. Probably the nicest car of any LPA members that I've seen, bar Todd's (more expensive) GTI.

Sonic

Well when my car first came out on the market in 2000 (they made that model from 2000-05), the starting price was 30,000, or close to it. My car is a 2002 and we got it in 2005 for 13,000 used with only 28,000 miles on it. Since having it, I've only put another 15,000 miles on it, wh9ich would bring it to around 43,000. That is excellent considering the car is already 7 years old (even though it's a 2002, it was on the lot around this time of year in 2001).

I don't know myself why American cars are so cheap. I mean, we do have our expensive ones, but for some reason they don't interest me. Cars like the Monte Carlo and other sports/muscle cars are what interest me, simply because it's what I was brought up around. I don't like Honda's or anything like that, but mainly because of what people do to them. it's ridiculous. I don't dislike them for being a porrly made machine or anything, I knwo they're good cars, it just what people do to them with fart cans, wide ugly body kits and stickers is what makes me dislike them so much.

As for the reliability of my car, it's pretty 'effin good. Between 2000 & 2005, the Monte Carlo was rated 2nd msot reliable behind the Toyota Camry in one of those years, so I know it's a reliable car. Plus, I haven't had an major machanical problems with it.

But yea, I've put about $6,000 worth of TLC into that car already with wheels, tires, vinyl, paint, and kit and other add-ons.

Daniel

:lol: not even just American cars, but cars on sale in America generally.

For example, the BMW M3 is $57, 275 USD in America. Whereas over here, the exact same car, is $99, 666 USD. We get ripped off.

The mods on the Monte look good. Tasteful, which is more than can be said for a lot of cars out there.

Harlz

The Monte looks nice dude.

Commodore from the middle forwards orrr? :lol:

Gitsnik

Gitsnik WAAAGH!!! Über Member

Harlz

I learnt to drive manual in a RenaultSport Clio.
    Handles beautifully, and it's nice and zippy too.

vasiab

vasiab Banned

Our family car:
    [​IMG]

Car of my dreams:
    [​IMG]