The Catalyst Official Thread

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by xxspuckxsorrisxx, Aug 2, 2010.

xxspuckxsorrisxx

xxspuckxsorrisxx Living Things

I didn't see a post about this one so I decided to make one!:headbang:
    This thread discusses The Catalyst. Opinions, lyrics, cover art, music video ideas, etc. are what are wanted here! We do not want snipits!

hawk

hawk because the internet LPA Super VIP

Good. Best song ever. 10/10. The end.

Geoff

Geoff Hipster Kitty

i like it, this new dircetion, it feels like LP and it has the elements of them, but it sounds re invented and new i think The Catalyst is a brilliant song, the build up in it, to the synths in the intro and the ending, it feels powerful and i can imagine them playing it live, i think it sounds amazing, i would have liked some new lyrics, but i guess thats what you get when you have awesome mike teasing us with them for the last month haha such an awesome song :D

TLC

TLC Well-Known Member

From day to day I like this song more. It's just great, I love it!

Zane

Zane WARRIOR PRINCESS LPA Team

I agree with you. Here's something I realized about the lyrics in the song. They aren't exactly sung or rapped, so to me it seems like they're are chanted or kinda protested. That's what the song feels like to me, as if the band is chanting and protesting the errors of our ways...and that's where I feel like the lack of lyrics comes from. In a protest or chant you don't say many things, you repeat the same thing repeatedly to get the idea of what you're saying set.

Jesse

Jesse Out of the abyss. LPA Über VIP

7.5/10, saying that I still think it's a really great song.

Also I know it's 5:42 minutes but it just seems shorter than that to me and with all its energy it just flies by leaving me wanting more.

I hope to see what the band does with this song live maybe they'll extend it like they did with bleed it out and we'll get a 7-10 minute song. :lol:

Benjamin

Benjamin LPA team LPA Super VIP

9.5/10. Somehow, the repeating lyrics doesn't bother me at all. It's almost like they're not repeating. Mike/Chester singing "God Bless us everyone, we're a broken people living under loaded gun" sounds so much different each time it's said. Acappela at the beginning, with the synths, and at the end after listening to the whole thing. Also, the Lift Me Up part is amazing. Definitely reminds me of "The sun goes down, I feel the light betray me" in Papercut. I still find myself liking this song more and more after each listen. LP is the only band that can do this to me with a song.

hawk

My brother originally hated it and has called the fact that the song is growing on him now the "brainwash". He thought he song was a techno piece of crap, there were too many things going on for him to just listen and enjoy the song. Now he is coming to like the song.

Polychromatic

Polychromatic Banned

9/10. Hands down one of the best new songs i've heard in a long time. They made a song without traditional song structure, and it turned out pretty good. From the synths to the epic ending I enjoyed every second of it.

hawk

123 plays according to iTunes.

cradle

cradle Foreword LPA VIP

I'd rate it around 8.5/10, because i want to hear the other songs that lead to it, Lp never made a disappointing album to date, i just know ATS is gonna lead to " i told you so this records rOcks" !!!

I know there's a msg in this song, regarding the record industry, with all the auto-tune,lyrics and fake artists out there on that note, this song deserves at least a 9/10, anyone notice this? < hidden msg in the Catalyst.

Alexrednex

Alexrednex Well-Known Member

AHH hard to say. Probaly there best first single ever... Hmm 7,5/10
    i would give it 8/10 if there were more lyrics.
    I really love the song its so strong, and colourfull.

Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

There's no auto-tune on this song. The lyrics don't hint at the record industry in any discernible way nor does it seem to be a scathing commentary on 'fake artists.'

Louis

Louis Message me if you need to talk. We love you all. LPA Team

I'm just going to clear something up, and I may be wrong myself, but it's getting annoying that everyone thinks there is auto-tune being used in this song. It's absolutely not the case because auto-tune is 10x more obvious and annoying.

The effect being used in this song is some sort of vocal delay distortion that makes it sound kind of like a transmission. At least, that's what I think it is. And I think this effect is being used artistically to show that the artists are speaking through a transmission, moments before the dropping of an atomic bomb or something to that effect. And then you can see that as soon as it goes into the "Lift me up" portion of the song, the effect is dropped and the vocals are raw until the "God bless us everyone" part comes back in, as a recollection of just what happened to them (this is how I view it, personally).

But seriously, it isn't auto-tune. Listen to T-Pain and then listen to The Catalyst. Not the same!

ChuckCheese

ChuckCheese Did somebody order some cheese? LPA VIP

"That effect on the voices in The Catalyst is a layer of a flanger, a modulation effect, and some other stuff."
    That's directly from Mike.

Bennington_Hahn

Bennington_Hahn This goes out to everybody still hatin' LPA VIP

Epic song. Unsual, but epic. A real grower of a track. :)

off Topic slightly:

I must say, I'm quite impressed with the radio edit. It hasn't destroyed the song as much as I feared, Just shortened the intro/outro a bit more. For those wanting a little less repetitive version of the catalyst its just the ticket! :)

xxspuckxsorrisxx

xxspuckxsorrisxx Living Things

@Alex. Thats what i thought. So many loops

Moridin

Moridin Death Contagious Deity

I just listened to it again for the first time since last Friday or Saturday, man what a great song. I'm very pleased with the direction LP are taking.

hawk

This song is the shit.

Zane

Zane WARRIOR PRINCESS LPA Team

This is something I've been wondering about for a few days now ever since I heard The Catalyst on BBC. Each time they play the song there, they use this distinctive intro that's not on the actual song download. It leads to be curious about whether this is BBC's doing or if there's a possibility that it's the interlude between the previous song and The Catalyst on album. If you guys don't remember the intro check it out here on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ayWldcVjpw