The Catalyst Out Now!

Discussion in 'News' started by Joe, Aug 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe

Joe I'm tried LPA Administrator

Yeah, what excites me about this song and my expectations for the album, is just how different it is from other LP material. I think even if you don't like the song, if you apply the direction this is going in, you must be excited about the new record, because if you think about it, another song on the album will not sound like this, so if you apply this structure to a more guitar driven track (if that would be your preferences) then this album is going to be great in my opinion.

2. Dusty

Dusty LPA Super VIP LPA Super VIP

One other thing...

I see a lot of comments here and there about how this song isn't lead single material... I agree... But that is what makes it special. Almost all the songs we here on the raido almost 8 out of 10 times when you here the lead single that turns out to be the best song on on the album and the rest of the album sucks. It doesn't happen all the time but it has happened to me before.

What LP has done with this song is a very smart move. People who either love it or hate it are talking about it. LP have nothing to lose. The risk with this album has made me gain a lot more respect for the band. So far the risk seems to be working. Both song and album are number 1 on iTunes. Only took less then 24 hours :awesome:

The song has got my curiosity going. I really want to hear what eles this album has to offer. I'm ready for it!

Last edited: Aug 4, 2010
  3. AkirraKrylon

AkirraKrylon LPA VIP LPA VIP

This is exactly what I've been thinking all along. This direction with a variety of different tracks will make for a great album.

Also, now that The Catalyst is here, the anxiousness for the album has increased tremendously. Not in the sense that The Catalyst is so great I wanna hear the album now (though this is true and does apply), but more in the sense of the thing we have been looking forward to has arrived...and now we have nothing until september 14th :(

I dont remember clearly but did they do 30 second snippets of each track with meteora/MTM? I am really dying to hear what the overall feel of each of these songs is.

4. Joe

You posted the exact same post in the Catalyst Lyric Video thread, please stop posting the same message between threads, once is enough.

5. deftonesfan867

deftonesfan867 976-EVIL

The Catalyst reminds me of TLTGYA.

Their going against the grain with this one.

LOVE it.

6. Arlene

Arlene Oh what tangled webs we weave LPA Super Member

My original listen...I thought "I'm not sure how I feel about this song." Haha. I like it a lot, it's just so different than any other Linkin Park material and it doesn't even really follow a normal song structure so listening to it is just a different experience. I keep listening to it, and I'm pretty sure I like it a lot, haha.

I'm excited about the direction this album is taking!

7. Dusty

I really want to see how the music video goes along with this song... I'm expecting eyecandy :lol:

8. Joe

Yeah it should be great... which we can discuss in our brand new CATALYST VIDEO PREMIERE thread. [/plug] :lol:

9. cloudscream

cloudscream Static

I'll be frank. Some of my friends don't like The Catalyst not because of some intelligently-constructed musical argument, but simply because the guitars are almost non-existent.

10. Jeff

Jeff WORSHIP LPA Addicted VIP

yeah, a lot of people kinda irritate me, when they say it has to have guitar or its a load of shit. That doesn't hold true for me at all. If it sounds great to me, I will listen to it nonstop, doesn't matter if there are guitars or not.

11. seonte

seonte Member

I feel sorry for people like this. It must suck not to be able to enjoy different kinds of music because of preconceived notions that the music they like is supposed to have specific elements. I would have abandoned Linkin Park long ago if they weren't willing to expand on their original style, and actually try being artists. Thank god they are.

The only thing that sucks about the catalyst is that we have to wait a month to see what else they came up with on ATS.

12. Bennoda Girl

Bennoda Girl A past to overwrite.

Um... why?

13. Moridin

Moridin Death Contagious Deity

I'm hoping I'll have the album in my hands (legally) on the 9th or 10th. :rasberry:

Not sure about Meteora but MTM did. However I would advise against listening to snippets of songs because they usually don't give the overall feel (and definitely will not The Catalyst is any guage).
    I really wish I didn't listen to The Catalyst snippets actually, they didn't do the track any kind of justice.

Also from the transcript Kathy posted in the anther thread:

mshinoda says to (16:21):
    ATS = 15 tracks ranging from like 20 seconds to about 6 minutes.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2010
  14. Dusty

^ Agreed. I'm going to avoid all snippets for the rest of the album.

15. iNuBBiN

iNuBBiN Well-Known Member

I am so mad. Today i had to drive to dallas(3 hours) and i was hoping to hear the Catalyst on the radio(havent heard it yet) so i was flipping through channels constantly. I only heard faint and In the end... I was like I havent heard faint on the radio in years and In the end I hear like once a week. Why isnt the Catalyst being played

16. hybridsoldier1989

hybridsoldier1989 strange things are afoot at the circle k

I have to bite my tongue on this one.

After listening to the song and hearing it on the radio plenty of times since Monday, I can say without a doubt that this song is pretty awesome. The synth was annoying at first, but it works within the context of the song for me now. The guitars that come in during the "bridge" are amazing! Mike's vocals at the start of the bridge are amazing! Chester slays on this one. Phoenix is very much present and I love it. Lovin' the return of Joe Hahn. The vocals, while simple and repetitive, are good. I happen to like the vocal effects and the lyrics are decent compared to previous LP songs.

I'm really looking forward to the album now.

17. Shadow

Shadow The Evil That Men Do.. LPA VIP

I take everything i've said back. Headphone wise; this is an epic song. I wish I had the lossless version. I'd come up with like 10 reasons beyond what i said this song why it's o n par to their previous , but I am convince that to every nay sayer this is an epic song. (You ninja's saw me hate on this song lyrically, but I tell ya:

[​IMG])

EPIC. Once it's out lossless, there is no EXCUSE.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2010
  18. Shadester

Shadester (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Goddamn, this song is definitely a grower. I can confidently say this is some of LP's best work to date.

19. Moridin

Moridin Death Contagious Deity

I agree.
    I just went over to the LP.com forums (out of morbid curiosity and boredom) and it seems that a lot of people are warming up to The Catalyst too. Getting over the initial shock I suppose. lol.

20. Spin

Spin Chaos that defies imagination

I thought it was good on first listen, but agreed on the growing part - this has to be one of my favorite songs at the moment.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.