The Catalyst: Will it be the final song of the set?

Discussion in 'On Stage' started by Spiderguy252, Aug 13, 2010.

Spiderguy252

Spiderguy252 Awaiting LP in India

Title asks it all. What do you think?:cool:

Agent

Agent Formerly known as Agent Sideburns LPA Über VIP

Sigh. I'm tired of these pointless speculation threads.

hawk

hawk because the internet LPA Super VIP

No. Second to last. The end.

Spiderguy252

Pretty rude board, this. If you don't like a thread, why comment on it? As long as it's not breaking the rules, move on. I've moderated a coupla' forums over the past few years and never put down a user like that, whether he has 20 posts under his belt, or 2000. Pity you, LPA.

Atticus

Atticus Bullets lance the bravest lungs

Personally, I think that if The Catalyst was played as the final song on a setlist, it be the most underwhelming final song since Breaking the Habit in SUmmer Sonic 2006. Sure it's got the dance-like energy in the first half, and sure the piano half is simply epic, but I just don't think the song has what it takes to surpass One Step Closer, Faint, or even Bleed It Out as a concert closer.

On the other hand, it would work VERY well as a closer to the main set before the encore IMO.

Agent

Don't get me wrong... I'm all in for discussion as long as we have something to work off of. What you are asking here is purely based on speculation and honestly the topic in question seems pretty pointless to me. And it's not just this topic, check the "who want a thousand suns to leak"/"Lets give The Catalyst a genre"/"The Messenger" threads. All pointless imo.

Sorry if I came across rude, but there's just been too many of these lames threads sprouting up these last few days.

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

Agent O is not a moderator, only a news contributor. His opinions (as rudely as they were worded) do not represent the views/opinions of the moderating staff and this forum as a whole and I greatly apologize for any offense his comments may have caused. Please know that we appreciate you posting on the LPA and would never put a member down like that unless they were flagrantly trolling or deliberately trying to bring down the boards with negative posts/behavior. You sir, have done none of the above and therefore, although Agent O was not a moderator, I still want to apologize if your time here has been un-enjoyable in anyway. Hopefully you can understand that his opinions do not represent the moderating staff, and you can continue to enjoy it here.

As for your post Agent O, please leave the moderating to the moderators. If you feel a post is a "waste", there is a button to report a post privately to the moderators...where we can look at it and decide whether or not the post is an actionable offense. By making a post like what you did above, it only serves to make newer members feel unwelcome and cast a black cloud over these forums. This is why a moderator (and only a moderator) should be enforcing the rules on these boards. Please use the 'report' feature in the future if you don't like a post, and let us decide what is dumb/not dumb in the future. Thanks.

Agent

You're right, I should have thought about the "report" feature first. I wasn't trying to act moderator-y at all though, just found the whole thing frustrating.

Again, I apologize. No hard feelings :)

Derek

No hard feelings here either, I just had to come down stern because a member was getting a wrong opinion about the site. I don't want that to happen.

Spiderguy252

Thanks for settling the issue guys. Out of curiosity, what sort of position is an "LPA VIP"?

El Muerto

El Muerto LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

It's for the members of the band, like I am.

-m

Derek

Although El Muerto was showcasing his sense of humor, it is actually for people who donate to the site. You donate and you'll get VIP :).

Joe

Joe I'm tried LPA Administrator

It's usually reserved for people who have donated to the site, so they're just like every other member except they're gold and have access to the VIP boards, haha. Only LPA Team (Purple), Admins (Red) & Derek are staff, the other colours are to simply represent an higher post count (Blue = 3000, Turquoise = 10,000 & Green = 15000), where as Orange is the group for members who can post directly to News, as they have reported a lot in the past and do a good job of posting it. :)

Brandon

Brandon I was Ree's 100th follower on Twitter.

As for the original thread, which I don't think is too lame during a slow news week, I don't think The Catalyst will be last.

I don't think it'll be too great live and I just don't think it would be a good way to end the show.

Joe

Joe I'm tried LPA Administrator

Really? I think it will be a great song live. Also, I don't think it's impossible that they won't play it last either, I think it could potentially be last in the set and it wouldn't be that surprising or out of place. I'm not sure whether they would do that though, maybe they'll play it before the encore, or somewhere early to begin the ATS tracks.

hawk

hawk because the internet LPA Super VIP

I think that it will be a great song live. I think it will also be more powerful live too.

ChuckCheese

ChuckCheese Did somebody order some cheese? LPA VIP

Doubt it would be played last, that's not really LP's style to end a show with a song like that. For example, the closers of the set have been One Step Closer, Faint, Bleed It Out, and Breaking the Habit. Those first three are very high energy songs, and end as such. While The Catalyst does have that energy factor in the first half of the song, it ends on a much slower note. Breaking the Habit didn't fit the criteria with being the closer, but they only did that at Summer Sonic 06, so I don't really see anything like that happening again. I'm not really ruling the possibility of it closing the set though, just doubtful. It might be good closing the main set before the encore. BUT if the band goes through with the idea of playing all of ATS, then it would not be the last song, obviously.

As for whether or not it will be a good song live, I think it just really depends on how much Mike's vocals have improved and whether he can pull it off live.

Spiderguy252

Well, Mike is going to be singing a lot on the whole record, so I guess he should be good enough to pull off each of those songs Live.

SecondCityKids

SecondCityKids Hey John, What's Your Name Again? LPA Super Member

I see it being first before being last. thats just me though

Benjamin

Benjamin LPA team LPA Super VIP

I don't think it will be last simply because it would be a little too predictable. Haha I think this despite OSC closing every show for what, 5 or so years straight? :lol:
    One Step Closer actually doesn't sound as great as it used to so I don't think they'll close with that anymore. I would say BIO/Faint will be the closers. Of course, we haven't heard ATS yet. Maybe something on there will sound like a "closer."