The Deftones thread

Discussion in 'Other Music' started by deftonesfan867, Aug 31, 2012.

1. minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

It's alright, I guess

2. Nicholas

Nicholas Well-Known Member

Phantom Bride is something else, I'm surprised it wasn't their lead single. This has been their most accessible album for me. I had overlooked their previous work as it was a little too heavy for me, but Gore retains that sound while also being a lot easier to digest. And I think that's great, as it makes it easier to delve back into their previous work as this sort of opens you up to it.

Listening to Koi No Yokan and Diamond Eyes again was a much better experience because of that. Makes me want to check out their older work as well.

Great album.

3. minuteforce

I think "Diamond Eyes" and "Koi No Yokan" sound way more accessible than "Gore", personally

[YOUTUBE]60RpaXx03yQ[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]I2Z4nI2wmNY[/YOUTUBE]​

4. Nicholas

Nicholas Well-Known Member

I think it's just the first impression for me. Prayers/Triangles hooked me instantly unlike Diamond Eyes and Koi No Yokan. As much as I hate this word, this album was a lot more of a "banger" to me. With the other two albums, I had to listen to them in full to appreciate them more. With Gore, there are certain tracks I feel like I can listen to whenever.

I have to give this band a lot of respect, as it's hard for a person like me who's not really a fan of metal or hard rock to still appreciate it for what it is, a great piece of work.

5. minuteforce

I get you -- Deftones are practically the only out-and-out rock band that I listen to. :)

Yeah, "Prayers" is catchy as fuck but the rest of "Gore" isn't as listener-friendly, IMO. "Diamond Eyes", in comparison, has a good number of straightforward, fairly immediate songs written in 4/4 with catchy choruses, littered throughout the album.

Neither is necessarily better than the other, though - I just argue that "Gore" is more abrasive on just about every level.

6. Hans Muster

Hans Muster Well-Known Member

Just seen in the booklet in the credits section
    Well... that was new to me.

7. minuteforce

Yeah, Mark Wakefield is a manager at Velvet Hammer, Deftones' mgmt company.

8. Qwerty19

Qwerty19 Well-Known Member

Well, I'm not a mixing expert, but I found Abe to be fantastic on every track. He's always been a consistently good drummer, but damn, he really shines on Gore.

Also, blond Chino was random ahah

Last edited: Apr 13, 2016
  9. Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

I'm sorry, but "Prayers" is listener friendly? I got into that song like two days ago after two months of regularly listening to it. It was hard as fuck to get into, even to me, as a fan.

The album has such a raw mix, it's great. I've grown to like all the tracks, albeit "Hearts" much less so than the others. And I can rock the fuck out to this album, but I put on Koi No Yokan for a bit and that album still beats the shit out of this one, lol.

Also, am I the only one hearing a black metal influence on "Rubicon"? That might be my favorite track, too.

10. Gibs

Gibs The Prog Nerd Über Member

I'd say that it's the most radio-friendly track on the album. But, it took you forever to get into Radiohead's In Rainbows, and that album is probably one of their most accessible albums. So, you're kinda weird. :p

And I'm not hearing any kind of Black Metal influence of Rubicon. On a similar note, I feel like the album could have ended so much stronger if Phantom Bride and Rubicon switched tracks on the album.

11. Filip

I'm talking about the drumming specifically I guess.

And nah, "Rubicon" is the perfect closer.

12. Modern Guitar God

Modern Guitar God Nets 2021 LPA Super VIP

Yeah, I just have to get used to hearing Abe differently on Gore. On my favorite albums, White Pony and Saturday Night Wrist, his drums sounded more violent, thicker with more attack. I'm describing what I hear in those albums really poorly, forgive me. On Gore, they've pulled back on that, which is fine. I just have to tune my ears more to this newer sound that Abe has.

I was also wondering why Chino bleached his hair but whatever. His prerogative ha ha.

13. Qwerty19

Phantom Bride has that awesome thing...

The majority of the song has a pretty vibe, but then, there is that huge "ugly" outro which comes in. It's almost like when you have a beautifull dream, and suddenly, it all turns into a creepy-ass nightmare.

Actually, I though the drumming here sorta reminded me of the drumming on White Pony. Now that you say that, I'll listen to those 2 again.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2016
  14. Modern Guitar God

Modern Guitar God Nets 2021 LPA Super VIP

I don't mean what he plays. I'm talking about what drums sound like. :lol: I'm getting used to it and am starting to like it now. Especially on "Geometric Headress" and "Doomed User". Forgive me, if I mess up the song titles, I'm still only a few listens around the album.

I think that Gore is their weirdest album, even with White Pony and Saturday Night Wrist in their discography. It's their most mysterious, imo, which is what I like about it.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2016
  15. minuteforce

I agree. A big part of it is the uncommon time signatures in practically every song

16. Qwerty19

Oh yeah, I got that ahah

But songs like "Prayers/Triangles", sound-wise, reminded me of White Pony. Especially the brigde. Probably it's just me.

17. minuteforce

The bridge in "Prayers" reminds me of "The Rapture", so it's more like "Saturday Night Wrist" than "White Pony" to me. :)

18. Qwerty19

So yeah, "Gore" has indeed been getting an impressive chart debut, at least for Deftones standards. Their best debut yet in Britain, Australia, and New Zealand.

http://themusic.com.au/news/all/2016/04/16/deftones-land-top-spot-on-aria-charts/
    http://www.vintagevinylnews.com/2016/04/deftones-uk-sales-fade-in-second-half.html

That's really cool for the guys. I dig that the band has been really low on the promotion thing and buzz words, yet ended up releasing a great record, with both good critical and commercial reception.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2016
  19. Filip

So I'm curious how you guys would compare "Gore" to other Deftones albums?

20. minuteforce

Out of the post-"Around The Fur" albums, I rank it last. I only really like four of the songs. Some of the other songs, I still don't even remember how they go even though I listen to the album almost every day

These guys love it. :)