The Deftones thread

Discussion in 'Other Music' started by deftonesfan867, Aug 31, 2012.

1. Qwerty19

Qwerty19 Well-Known Member

I'd rank it among their best.

Then again, my favorite Deftones records are White Pony, the self-titled (yep!), and Diamond Eyes. Koi was pretty good but it didn't hooked me that much in the long run. And I've never been crazy about SNW.

2. minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Well, I like more songs from that album than from "Gore", haha

3. Modern Guitar God

Modern Guitar God Nets 2021 LPA Super VIP

My favorite album is SNW, then after that WP. I feel weird doing all these abbreviations.

Gore is average to me, but there's a mood about it that their other albums don't have. There's a feeling of trying to leave the ghosts of your past behind but being unable to.

4. Hans Muster

Hans Muster Well-Known Member

My rankings for the Deftones albums change all the time, but I still think of Koi No Yokan as their best album, which is probably not a popular opinion. Gore is somewhere among White Pony and self-titled.

My least favorite album has always been Saturday Night Wrist, however I've grown on it during the last weeks.

5. Qwerty19

Ahah, yeah, honestly I think the songwriting on the selft titled is a bit lazy and repetitive at times.

But I dunno. There is a mood to the whole record, somehow every melody hits me. It's really subjective :lol: Really wish "Lovers" would have been included on the record though, the drumming on that one is absolutely amazing.

6. Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

I'd probably rank "Koi No Yokan" their best, followed by "Around The Fur" and then "White Pony". Strange to say that since WP was the first one I heard, and I do think it's a fucking fantastic album, but, the other two are just so damn consistently mindblowing. They convey a lot more genuine emotion imo. Then, after those three, I'd probably put "Gore".

7. Qwerty19

Last edited: Apr 30, 2016
  8. Modern Guitar God

9. minuteforce

Speaking of, Team Sleep promised new stuff that hasn't been put out yet

10. Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

I prefer the Crosses album over a lot of things Deftones did.

Basically everything minus Koi No Yokan, maybe Around the Fur.

11. Modern Guitar God

Nice. I liked their live album the most, of everything they released (Woodstock). I don't think they're ever getting back together though.

12. Qwerty19

Btw guys!

It would be really cool if some musician here could tell about the different time signatures from Gore :)

I have been getting into the music theory stuff, and I was sorta curious about the odd rythms on the record

Last edited: May 2, 2016
  13. minuteforce

Probably the best-mixed live recording I've ever heard in my life, and revisiting some of my favourite music ever in the process too

I can go through most of this for you when I have time later this week, though my terminology won't be perfect because I rarely verbalise these things :)

To start with right now, "Prayers" features a bridge (right after the "I'd beware" section) that contains three sets of four bars, but every individual fourth bar along has less beats than the one before it, preceded by three bars with the usual four beats for 4/4 time. As such, the number of beats per bar in that section goes 4 / 4 / 4 / 3 / 4 / 4 / 4 / 2 / 4 / 4 / 4 / 1 ... and, then, it's straight into the first beat of a new chorus after that 1. Now, you could divide the beats up differently ... but this is how the bars are laid out in my head. I don't really these as a series of time signature changes, but others might. The outro is almost the same, except it goes 4 / 4 / 4 / 2 three times through (EDIT: the last bar in that section is actually 3 beats, and, then, there's a final hit at the end) instead. Other than these details, "Prayers" is just in ordinary 4/4.

"Doomed User" kicks off with a pair of repeating bars that have different time signatures - one bar is in 5/4, the next is in 6/8. This is the verse. The next section, which I'll call a 'B-section' ("powerless ..."), has three repeating bars, the first in 5/4 and the other two in 6/8. Again, there are alternative ways to look at this, I think; you might divide the beats up differently and say that the first and third bars have 6 beats while the middle one has 5. The choruses ("the delusions ...") and bridge/breakdown ("your castle is burning ...") are just in 6/8 with no time signature changes, but they mostly avoid having an even number of bars so they still mess with your expectations a little.

Every section in "Headdress" is in 6/8 except for the sung verses ("pink cigarette ...") which are in 5/4. Each verse is 24 bars long, with the drums going quiet for the last two bars of the section.

"Pittura" is entirely 6/8.

"Phantom Bride" is all 6/8 ... except for the ~br00tal~ outro which is in 4/4.

All the other songs are entirely 4/4, no frills.

EDIT: I've just gone through every song, but I rushed the formatting and stuff. Someone else might be able to explain it all to you more clearly and more concisely later on

14. Qwerty19

That'd be great, thanks man!

Edit: just saw your edited post, really damn cool! It definitely helps :)

Last edited: May 4, 2016
  15. deftonesfan867

deftonesfan867 976-EVIL

I need to re-listen to Gore in full.

16. Qwerty19

New album Ohms is out.

It's fire.

Gibs and Dekar like this.
  17. Gibs

Gibs The Prog Nerd Über Member

Side 2 is FANTASTIC. What a damn record.

18. Jeff

Jeff WORSHIP LPA Addicted VIP

This album feels miles above Gore, at least to me. Definitely a contender for one of my favorites from them.

Modern Guitar God likes this.
  19. Modern Guitar God

Great album, vocals were excellent. Better than the last 3 albums.

20. minuteforce

Didn't make a great first impression on me on release day. Several days in now, I quite like it