The guys need a new singer

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by Chris loves LP, Sep 29, 2017.

?

Should they find a new singer?

1. Yes

20 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. No. They should continue as a 5-piece

54 vote(s)
    67.5%
  3. No matter what they do, they are done

6 vote(s)
    7.5%
    insanefanboy

insanefanboy RIP Chester Bennington

If the band MUST continue, DO NOT replace Chester, just carry on as a 5 piece under a different name please. But I really feel they shouldn't continue, as LP was Chester and Mike.

Knt.Slbs

Knt.Slbs Well-Known Member

Correction:

LINKIN PARK is:
    Rob Bourdon
    Brad Delson
    Dave Farrell
    Joe Hahn
    Mike Shinoda

It's not Mike and Chester only, you have to give credits to other band members as well. This is not The Chainsmokers.

brady, Captain-EO and Sasuke like this.
    StrictlyJohnD

StrictlyJohnD Go Texans & Rockets!

It may be a while before we learn what the band really chooses to do. Whether to continue as five, be fronted by someone new, or call it a career is something that will require a lot of time and thought to ponder. Personally, I'm open to them pushing forward as a quintet with a rotating cast of guest vocalists. One thing's for certain: they'll consider what Chester would've wanted from them.

insanefanboy

insanefanboy RIP Chester Bennington

I'm aware of that, I know each band member is important, and I didn't mean to take anything away from them, I meant that Mike and Chester were the two biggest pieces of the puzzle so to speak, I just assumed that people knew I was aware of the others when I mentioned Mike and Chester. My bad writing at its best.

EDIT: I was going to write "that's why I said if the BAND must continue" but I thought that would be taken as a passive aggressive argument, and that's not my intention at all.

Knt.Slbs likes this.
    Agent

Agent Formerly known as Agent Sideburns LPA Über VIP

What do you guys think of the idea of retiring Linkin Park and starting a new band with a new lead singer?

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

Band would never do it I feel. Mostly because I'm sure Chester likely wouldn't want that, and I feel 'what Chester would've wanted' is weighing heavily on any decision they're making. I cant speak for him since he's no longer here but I feel knowing what kind of man he was, he'd want them to feel free to continue with the LP name, if they felt that was the right course to go.

I feel the band will either disband (seeming very unlikely at this point), or continue on with the LP name. I don't see a rebranding happening at all, especially since they've been referring to themselves as 'Linkin Park' publicly since Chester's passing.

Knt.Slbs likes this.
    Forfeit to Break

Forfeit to Break Well-Known Member

I like BMTH and can see the connection, but being realistic Oli doesn't have the voice to replace to replace Chester. He generally struggles with live shows these days due to his bad screaming technique, and his clean vocals aren't, and never have been anywhere near as good as Chester's.

Knt.Slbs likes this.
    Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

It's going to be near impossible for anybody who may step in for Chester to 'replace Chester' which is why any new vocalists cannot be thought of as a replacement, but merely a different era. Just like with Queen there's a Freddie Mercury era, a Paul Rodgers era and a Adam Lambert era. With Van Halen there's legitimately ten thousand different eras (lol) and AC/DC has had two vocalists at least.

Point is, a new vocalist would not be a Chester replacement. Even if fans view it that way, realistically any future material with said vocalist would be in a different vocal style than Chester which means that trying to compare the two is pointless. Even Chester on Stone Temple Pilots was it's own beast, and not Chester doing his best Weiland impersonation. It was totally different.

Knt.Slbs likes this.
    Sasuke

Sasuke Modern Prog enjoyer LPA Super Member

I'm a huge BMTH fan and completely agree with you :p

Forfeit to Break likes this.
    Forfeit to Break

I totally agree that any new vocalist has to bring their own style and personality.

But they also need to be able to sing the old songs live to a standard at least close to what Chester could, and much as I admire Oli he simply does not have the vocal power to pull it off. He rarely sings full songs live, with Jordan and the crowd often taking large parts.

He has an awesome stage presence and he brings the emotion to his vocals that work fine with his own songs, even if they are not perfect, but to go into another band to take the place of an outstanding and versatile vocalist.and attempt to do their songs justice is another ball game.

Chris loves LP

Chris loves LP Well-Known Member

This is an important thing. Chester had by far the best stage presence I've ever seen, and I think it's one of the main reasons he was so unique (the other being his voice, of course).

Knt.Slbs and Sasuke like this.
    Forfeit to Break

Yes that is true, I see some of Chester in Oli on that front.

Blackee Dammet

Blackee Dammet Feminism Is My God Now

If they wanna go fullblown "new era" with a completely different sounding person, I'd like them to go completely new. Like someone that can do the weird vocal shit Anthony Green can do. No point in wasting time on dime a dozen scream-guy, go find some weird ass prog rock singer or some woman in a punk band who can pull off some strange shit with her voice.

Knt.Slbs

It may be a weird choice to choose a female vocalist for an established rock band like LP because it may get some criticisms both critics and LP fans (especially casual fans). But to add a new twist and to add flavor the unique LP sound would give the band the edge to return to spotlight. Post-ATS material by the band was a bit of disappoint for me, though some songs on LT, THP were fantastic but the overall quality were a bit of a let down. OML is the only album the I felt cohesive and interesting post-ATS.

I would love to see Hayley Williams and Mike collaborate some time in the future. That woman has a powerful, versatile voice, and strong stage presence.

LP Soldier 01 and Blackee Dammet like this.
    LP Soldier 01

LP Soldier 01 True LP Soldier

That would have been a good collab when Hayley and Paramore were at their pop-punk phase. The new album is good, but not like Riot! and Brand New Eyes and they've lost some of the quality of the past. If we are speaking about female artists I could name some that are not as popular as Hayley, but could give it a more rock/metal edge again or even others that could be in for a continuation of a poppier sound, which I don't think will be the case. In that field of female artists there are many options, probably more than male artists. I personally think the band improved after ATS, despite some disappointing songs on THP.

Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

After Laughter is better than Riot! and at least on par with Brand New Eyes. Fight me.

Captain-EO likes this.
    Blackee Dammet

Blackee Dammet Feminism Is My God Now

Same. Tbh, anything short of retirement will be met with some degree of backlash from a huge chunk of the fanbase. Bennington was widely considered a/the high point of a globally popular band. Pushing forward in any capacity, even as a Mike fronted 5 piece, will invite controversy by means of not being "the real Linkin Park" regardless of it's members. Unfair, but the way of the world. Knowing that (and without trying to sound morbid, like Chester dying is some kind of 'fresh opportunity' or something), this would indeed be a good chance to really pull one of the huge creative twists they've been trying repeatedly for years.

Like other people are saying are saying, the "era" of Chester is gone, nothing going forward will or can be viewed the same way and that's the facts. I see it as another step in the same kind of "Fuck it, we're following up our hard-rock album with a radio pop one" evolution. Replacing Chester with anyone even remotely similar will in all likelihood be seen as 'Chester light' regardless of the guys actual talents. Knowing this, a woman or 'alternative styled' vocalist strikes me as a better move from a business and creative standpoint.

Again, not to be morbid.

LP Soldier 01 likes this.
    LP Soldier 01

LP Soldier 01 True LP Soldier

In my opinion Brand New Eyes is their best album and After Laughter is undeniably good, but as to this one I just prefer Paramore's signature pop-punk sound.
    That would be the style Hayley should have to blend in well with LP as someone suggested she could. Anyway, any of my favorite female artists could probably do it.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
    Knt.Slbs

While listening to Three Band Terror, Brad has a really calm, soothing voice. I don't mind if he record some vocals for future releases. Any acoustic tracks would be welcome.

Sasuke likes this.
    annie

annie New Member

I really like Mike's voice, but in all honesty, I think it's impossible for him to take the lead in every song. Yes, he had a FEW songs on his own, but we are talking about the whole setlist, he CAN NOT sing, play piano, guitar, and rap at the same time. Be realistic, cuz I feel the most of you just aren't. Also, his vocal range is VERY limited, and I think only hardcore fans would attend those shows so they wouldn't be able to fill up arenas. They need someone with energy as I feel without Chester who was not only jumping around but who was at the same time singing forcefully with such an emotion it blew me away, their show would just be plain and energy lacking. I mean, Mike can sing invisible live very well, but the whole concert with only those calm songs, thanks but no thanks.Oh yeah, but for instance that live version of No roads left just ruined the whole song for me, so I think it's very questionable if he could pull off all of the songs live he sang very well in the studio.
    The fact is they need a new singer, and I think they know it as they are more aware of their capacity than you and I.
    We will see.
    And just to clear things up, I'm telling you this as a person who loved and adored everything Chester did (from LP to Dead by sunrise, GD and STP). That man meant so much to me and he could never be replaced as he is not just some thing that can be thrown away, but if LP wants to stay relevant (and I really think they want that no matter what some of you says) they need a new frontman. That's the ugly truth. I mean, let's face it, most of their hits, if not all, and most successful songs depended on Chester's voice, and sorry but it's just stupid to expect that the crowd sings his parts.
    As for someone who is big as LP, I think they don't want to just disappear from the radar and to become some band that can't even fill up arenas anymore, and that's what I think could happen if they don't get someone who is able to pull off at least some of the songs Chester could (very hard task, as people, often forget that singing whole sets of the songs while jumping around on the stage is very damn difficult).