The guys need a new singer

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by Chris loves LP, Sep 29, 2017.

?

Should they find a new singer?

1. Yes

20 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. No. They should continue as a 5-piece

54 vote(s)
    67.5%
  3. No matter what they do, they are done

6 vote(s)
    7.5%
  1. Doridorica

Doridorica Well-Known Member

Right after this question first appeared here I voted “they should continue as a 5-piece but after a long thinking I came to conclusion that they should find a new singer. I’ve never seen Mike as a singer and I don’t think he can pull of harder songs which are a part of every LP album (ok, except the last one and even then his voice sounded strange although he’s become a better singer) not to mention every LP concert. It’ll be strange to see a new singer and hard to adapt to him but they need it. After this hard emotional blow this is a day I see a bit of light at the end of a tunnel and am curious to see what the future holds.

2. LP Soldier 01

LP Soldier 01 True LP Soldier

The only thing I can be sure about is that whatever they decide to do will be the most unexpected thing that can ever come to mind and that's what makes LP what they are and have always been and that goes for both the lead singer and the direction they'll go with their sound.

3. Modern Guitar God

Modern Guitar God Nets 2021 LPA Super VIP

Mike doesn't have near the vocal prowess that Chester had but he isn't bad for a rock or adult contemporary style vocalist. Chester was able to cross over in many genres, which is something that Mike doesn't have necessarily. If they can make good songs with the most they can get out of Mike's voice, I'm sure it'll be great still. And Mike has shown that he can improve a lot over time. Just compare In Between to Sorry For Now. That is a pretty dramatic difference.

Michele likes this.
  4. Blackee Dammet

Blackee Dammet Feminism Is My God Now

Oh they'll think "it's Linkin Park" without a problem, it'll just be a Linkin Park they enjoy significantly less.

I'll say it again, a huge reason a lot of the bands music did as well as it did was Chester Bennington. A Shinoda only version likely won't tank (Fort Minor sold well), but to think they can just move on and most of the listeners are going to enjoy it just as much with just him is wishful thinking. The hardcores, the one who know Mike is the mastermind behind every album and had 90% of the ideas, writes all the lyrics, they're not going to care. That's not the vast majority of the people who bought Linkin Park albums were. It's not stretch to assume he will probably not be accepted as "the frontman of the band" by those people. Not the way Chester was.

5. Chris loves LP

Chris loves LP Well-Known Member

True. I've ssen a video about a Chester memorial in Hungary. They were playing In The End and Numb, and that was about it I guess. I couldn't help but think they didn't know the first thing about the band. I wonder if the casual fan even knows Mike's name. Doubtful.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2017
  6. MadNyankomon-Senpai

MadNyankomon-Senpai Well-Known Member

It's a bit too early for them to search for a new lead singer. They should stay as a 5 piece for now.
    They should experiment a bit with Mike's voice on the next Album. Mike's voice has way more potential than we could think off.
    Mike was able to hit high notes on the song "No Roads Left".
    Mike can actually scream, he did scream on the live performence of "One Step Closer" in Clarkston and did backing screams on the live performence of the song "Qwenty".
    I always wanted to hear Mike screaming, it would have been awesome to have a song with Chester and Mike screaming harmonically and a song were Chester is rapping and Mike is screaming. Sadly we will never get to hear that.
    The next Album would be something that fits well with Mike voice, i think it could be either a Pop or Nu-Metal record or both, but different than One More Light and Hybrid Theory/Meteora. Never expect Linkin Park to repeat the same record again, besides Meteora.
    A Nu-Metal record would most likely be Fort Minor with Heavy Guitars and screaming, which is not a bad thing, but the so called "Fans" will complain about it and say that Linkin Park shouldn't have continued without Chester and they should have continued as Fort Minor with this Album.
    Oh wait... they will complain anyway about everything Linkin Park is doing that isn't Nu-Metal with Chester screaming and Mike rapping "together". "hust" The Hunting Party "hust"

If it doesn't work out that good with Mike as the lead vocalist for the band personally, then they should get a new lead singer for the 9th Album.
    The only problem with getting a new lead singer, beside getting used to him for a while, is that he will never get accepted by the Nu-Metal fans and get trashed at. As if Chester and Mike didn't get a lot of shit by them, especially recently with "One More Light" where these "fans" were going way to insane with their hate, Chester and Mike were receiving nasty comments like "Kill yourself" and personal insults on their social media accounts. Both blocked a lot of people on social media because of this bullshit.
    The new lead singer will always stay in the shadow of Chester, no matter how good he is, he will never get truly accepted by the casual and Nu-Metal fans , besides by this community of course.
    Mike is the only one who might get accepted as the lead singer by casual listener and these annoying Nu-Metal fans.
    If they get a new lead singer, they should prepare themselfs for the hate they will be getting, that's why they should have Mike as the lead singer first and see how it would work out before getting a new lead singer.

No matter what Linkin Park will do, i will support them, even if they get a new lead singer.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
  7. TobinKnowsBest

TobinKnowsBest 20.03.1976 - 20.07.2017 LPA VIP

No matter what happens, there will always be arguments on LPA :)

Sasuke likes this.
  8. Dannyc

Dannyc Well-Known Member

I would love to see Mike scream, im all for that. It would actually be pretty dope if he sang, rapped, and screamed on a track. I agree with you i think the next album will be pop and nu metal mixed together. But i think it will be for Chester, it could be very dark and heavy mixed with light and beautiful, which i can see.

9. Knt.Slbs

Knt.Slbs Well-Known Member

Nu metal? Hybrid Theory, Part 3??

10. MadNyankomon-Senpai

MadNyankomon-Senpai Well-Known Member

Never expect Linkin Park to do the same Album again. We won't see a Hybrid Theory 3.0 or A Thousand Suns 2.0 coming sadly.
    I would die if they do another Album like A Thousand Suns or The Hunting Party.

I agree, the next Album could also be a concept Album about depression and suicide, it would be a very dark Album with dark Nu-Metal songs and uplifting Pop songs. It would be a mix of darkness and light on the Album.
    Linkin Park always made Nu-Metal songs with dark and angsty lyrics, while their Pop songs were almost always uplifting. with songs like "Shadow Of The Day", "Leave Out All The Rest", "Sorry For Now", "Battle Symphony" and of course "In The End".

11. Knt.Slbs

Linkin Park haven't tried "rock opera" yet. They could write about a person's story (Chester) and revolve the songs towards that character and provide weight as the album progress. That would be a perfect concept album. ATS might be conceptual but that album was vague as a concept record.

12. LP Soldier 01

I'd like to see them try out some symphonic rock/ symphonic metal, but with that concept you've mentioned. That would be something different as most symphonic metal albums revolve around fantasy, agony and sometimes science and philosophy. It would imply a more constistent use of the keyboards as well as hiring some female guest vocalists to give it that operatic feeling. If they were to go that way, they'd also need to record with an orchestra in the studio. That would be amazing for Linkin Park, but very unlikely considering how hard it would be to make something like that.

13. Forfeit to Break

Forfeit to Break Well-Known Member

Lets be real. Mike isn't gonna scream.

If LP are going to go in a heavier direction again, which I doubt, then it will either be without including screamed vocals, feature guests or they will hire a new singer.

I'm not expecting future albums to be metal though, and certainly not nu metal.

14. Nicholas

Nicholas Well-Known Member

Going forward I think we should hold the band to different standards/expectations. What I mean is that they don't necessarily need a new singer if the music they make doesn't require it. They could go in an entirely new direction that's not sonically heavy at least in a hard rock sense. They spent nearly two decades trying to showcase that they can't be put into a box. I don't know if Mike's singing ability can hold an entire album on its own, but I'm not against them trying it out.

They can make a dream pop album next for all I know, they can go many places.

15. Knt.Slbs

I hope they can collaborate with Echosmith, CHVRCHES, Dutch Uncles, and Imagine Dragons. Or they can ask Aaron Pauley of OM&M to lend some vocals on some heavy tracks.

Nicholas likes this.
  16. Modern Guitar God

Modern Guitar God Nets 2021 LPA Super VIP

If they decide to use screaming, cool... if not, no big deal because it hasn't been a crucial part of LP's music for the past couple years. Not as much as HT and Meteora. When they wrote music for screaming, it was because they had Chester in mind to do it. With his unfortunate passing, it's understandable if they no longer see a need to continue that part of their sound. Mike's part was almost always to counter Chester's aggression.

LP Soldier 01 and Nicholas like this.
  17. Nicholas

Nicholas Well-Known Member

It would be funny to see Mike collaborate with CHVRCHES after the minor squabble they had a few years ago.
    Which is a shame because I think both bands could create something potentially great together, I'd love to hear Mike and Lauren Mayberry on a track. I bet even by himself he could make some awesome synthpop.

LP Soldier 01 and Knt.Slbs like this.
  18. Dannyc

Dannyc Well-Known Member

I love Mike and all but he seems to be a Hypocrite atimes. I think they will still make heavy songs, because they are very good at it and he knows hardcore LP fans love the heavy stuff, just like they are very good at making soft ballads. With Chester not with us anymore, if they make heavy songs it will be very interesting to hear mike on the track. But Like i said i think Mike will bring alot of fort minor vibe into LP now.

Michele likes this.
  19. Knt.Slbs

Yeah, i think they settled that minor issue already, I guess. As you mentioned above, a Dream Pop record would be great. Synth-y sound would fit especially for Mike's vocal range.

Sasuke likes this.
  20. LP Soldier 01

I listened to some CHVRCHES songs and they didn't impress me, but I still have to listen to the rest of it to have a better idea, but vocally I think Chrissy Costanza from Against The Current would be a better choice for LP to do some Synthpop or even Lynn Gunn from PVRIS.