The Hundreds Article: IN THE MIX Brings Insight into LIVING THINGS' Post-Production

Discussion in 'News' started by Zane, Apr 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jesse

Jesse Out of the abyss. LPA Über VIP

These are the reasons I am not excited for the album.

1. It has been described as "Rap'n'Roll" which might not exactly be "Nu-Metal" but it's too close to that label to bring me comfort.
    2. Shorter songs in 3-4 minute limits. Yes, short songs can be good but I just feel that they're making "Fast Food" music, which I think Burn It Down is. It's good but extremely forgettable.
    3.The first two tracks have been described as extremely familiar to their "Nu-Metal" days.
    4. Though titles do not dictate how a song sounds, it doesn't stop me from being terribly apprehensive about it.
    5. Bleed it Down's lyrics and Meteora-ish in the chorus. It's cheesy. There are other songs that use very similar concepts and words but aren't as embarrassingly terrible as Burn it Down's chorus. Ex. Arcade Fire - Rococo, The Shins - Pariah King.
    6. Compact songs, easier to digest? Why can't they make compact songs that are still extremely experimental?

Any many more reasons as to why I am just not feeling it.

Btw. For those who say those hoping for another ATS are hypocrites. No.

To want another ATS is to want another album that pushes the band and sees them return to experimentation. Not to sound like a carbon copy of ATS. At least that's what I mean personally when I say I want another album like that. Because even if there were an ATS PT 2, it wouldn't sound like ATS at all.

2. Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

Not to undermine your entire post but, "Bleed It Down"? :lol:

3. Elaine

Elaine The One They Call Elaine. LPA VIP

I bleed it down,
    Burn it deeper,
    Just to fire away!

4. Justin1994

Justin1994 Member

Bleed It OUT?

5. Stino LPLeaks

Stino LPLeaks Well-Known Member

LOL, Bleed it down?

It's like you're paranoid...

6. Derek

Reminds me of when Mark accidentally called the new song Burn It Out in a news post. :kappa:

7. Knt.Slbs

Knt.Slbs Well-Known Member

I hope LIVING THINGS will be experimental also....... :ohno: LP nowadays are UNPREDICTABLE.. you don't know what to expect... If LT is to cater and unite all of the fanbase, that would be great..

8. Joe

Joe I'm tried LPA Administrator

This thread proves that when we run out of things to talk about on the topic at hand, people resort to arguing about Linkin Park's albums. Again.

Here's hoping for some new news soon. Until then... :sheldon:

9. Derek

Joe the description of your newly added emoticon is nothing short of amazing.

10. Sonic

Sonic Searching for the last Chaos Emerald... LPA Super Member

My daughter thought "Bleed it Out" was called "Eating Out".

I'm eating out!
    Digging deeper just to throw it away!
    I'm eating out!
    I've opened up the bun
    I'll make you eat this!
    I put the ketchup on
    I'll make you EAT!
    THIS!
    NOW!

:lol:

Last edited: Apr 21, 2012
  11. Derek

That's what Weird Al would call it if he made a parody, and he'd turn it into a polka remix.

12. Nish

Nish Well-Known Member

GET TO THE CHOPPER! :arnold:

13. cloudscream

cloudscream Static

I can't quite put my finger on it, but this one really reminds me of something.

LP isn't an avant garde or an experimental band. Yes, they tried to experiment to expand the contents of their :toolbox:, but then they have to settle a bit and see what they can do with their current, new and improved :toolbox:.

14. ChuckCheese

ChuckCheese Did somebody order some cheese? LPA VIP

Hell, for all we know Burn It Down could have been a last second addition to the album to be used as a single, like WID.

15. Moridin

Moridin Death Contagious Deity

:headbang:

Agreed.
    I don't want them to recreate ATS. What I want them to do is keep writing good songs, I don't care what genre or stylistic package they're wrapped up in.
    I also want them to not care what I want & write music for themselves alone.:leo:

I like the sounds of BID, for the record, I also like the sounds & instrumental ideas on Meteora, it's the songwriting I take issue with.

And even to that end, I don't have any problem with the "ababcb" structure in & of itself (other bands and artists I listen to use it often enough), it's not inherently bad or good. Neither do I have a problem with simplistic music (nor do I think complex automatically = better). It just needs to be backed up by great lyrics/ideas.

Bad lyrics can be covered up to some extent by interesting instrumentals & structures. But bad lyrics are highlighted when the song is of the vocally driven ababcb nature. That's my problem with Meteora, & songs like WID, GU & BID (among others), though they don't sound the same, they are formulaic, vocally driven songs with weak lyrics.

RE: Judging LT before hearing it - I'm not. The other 11 tracks could be stellar. I've already said I'll wait and see[hear] before making my mind up (because anything else would be stupid). But all this talk of "compact, shorter songs", combined with how weak & obviously-designed-for-radio BID is, is giving me flashbacks to Meteora and is sapping my anticipation.

All IMO, of course. [​IMG]

16. lime treacle

lime treacle You are not alone Über Member

I once called Reanimation Reanimations... not a big fail, but it made me sound like a noob.

17. Andreina

Andreina Proud Venezuelan LP fan. LPA Contributor

I am VERY late to the party (thank God) but I wanna make a quick point here.

I know this stuff about old/new LP drags many debates that sometimes get too far. And as I can much appreciate the plurality in this forum and the critical approach towards Linkin Park music (this community is clearly not an ass-kisser, which is good), BUT, like some have said before, I don't like the use of "Meteora" and "meteora lover" as a way to put down an opinion or even worse, using it as an insult.

I have NEVER pledged for Linkin Park to go back to their earlier sound, I've loved their progression and the insane amount of creativity they put on ATS, I love BURN IT DOWN, and I haven't questioned anyone's opinion based on the album/sound they like the most, but I cannot help but feeling addressed in all those negative "Meteora-lover" comments (since I do love the album), even if they are not directed to my persona.

I am glad you finally have decided to at least point that, because the use of that expression has sustained for quite a while now since I signed up in the forums. We can debate, it's so awesome to know people who have different points of view and musical experience, but reading certain expressions used in a derogative way is distasteful. And just as we can't generalize saying "all of the LPA is mean because they put down people who like LP's earlier sound", you can't generalize saying all the people who actually like HT/MT will hate on people who embrace LP's new sound. I don't, as I love every album.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2012
  18. Diablorojo

Diablorojo Well-Known Member

can't wait for this

19. Inferno

Inferno Firing squad or lineup?

I forget what interview it was on, but when asked if BID represented what the album would sound like, Mike was like, "Well... uh... what we're doing more so now is making shorter, firecracker songs that we are more known for." or he said something similar. (not an exact quote)

20. Louis

Louis Message me if you need to talk. We love you all. LPA Team

I'm looking forward to the new album.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.