The Hunting Party: One Year Later

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by Blake, Jun 17, 2015.

BTorio

BTorio Well-Known Member

Well, Keys -> GATS is still a really enjoyable combo of songs. I listen to ALITS and Rebellion occasionally, but won't go out of my way for any of the others. GATS is easily the highlight of the album a year later (the only competitor was Rebellion and maybe FM).

As far as a full-album experience, it falls behind ATS slightly. It still bugs me how much the album slows down as it goes on, with MTG and Drawbar especially. I can begin to listen to the whole album but I'll either turn it off after GATS or before MTG everytime lol.

TEGCRocco

TEGCRocco The LPL Invader

I skip right to Rebellion 95% of the time. Rebellion, Mark The Graves, Drawbar, Final Masquerade, and A Line In The Sand is the second best run of songs on an LP album in my opinion. The first half has really lost a lot of its appeal. I might listen to GATS or UIG every now and then, but just about every other song has lost its appeal.

Blake

Blake Leave a Trace LPA Super Member

Gross.

I just keep thinking about a heavy ATS in my head for some reason. Could be the greatest album of all time.

Add in Rebellion for me and this is exactly how I feel. Minus and I agree on something LP related, must be a first :jawdrop:

This was very well written out I thought. Great insight. What's strange to me is that on THP I prefer the experimental side that branches out while on Living Things I enjoy the first half of the album more which is not the experimental side. On Living Things I like most of the whole album, but I greatly prefer the first half especially with LITE and COG being two of my favorite LP songs. So I can also agree that exploring new ground isn't the only measure of how I like things but for some reason I just don't like a lot of the familiar territory on THP. I haven't listen to the album in full in a while, however. So after I'm done typing this I think I will put it on. I really hope they take the second half of THP and branch of that, More unorthodox and unique song structures would be my dream come true for the next album.

Man, if the whole album was like Rebellion on would easily be the best Linkin Park album ever in my opinion. To me That run is the best run of LP songs ever. I'm curious, what's your first favorite run of LP songs?

Last edited: Jun 18, 2015
    TEGCRocco

TEGCRocco The LPL Invader

My favorite run is pretty much the entirety of ATS, but specifically it's Jornada -> The Catalyst

Captain-EO

Captain-EO Also Prog Nerd Now, Thanks Gibs LPA Super Member

I still don't like Rebellion and ALITS that much. Keys is still an absolute banger, and All for Nothing is a jam.

Since like their debut, you dingbat. You must have a really half-baked idea of what rapping is.

Blake

Ah! The songs during that string of tracks are definitely a great string of songs!

GraveDigger388

GraveDigger388 Nothing's gonna top my Jacky

The fuck is dingbat?

Captain-EO

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

The point is that early Slipknot is considered to be nu-metal, and they still have a turntablist in the group now.

JonasTheRoman

JonasTheRoman Well-Known Member

I also compare THP to ATS in some ways, but I think Reanimation is more of a "heavy" ATS than THP, as it features more interludes and atmospheric sounds.

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

I think that the songs on "The Hunting Party" are comparable to the songs on "A Thousand Suns", esp. since they're generally longer than your average Linkin Park song.

The album that "A Thousand Suns" compares closest to sonically, IMO, is "Reanimation", so I agree on that.

Iopia

Iopia Well-Known Member

100% agreed, they've done so many different genres and styles, the only thing I'm itching for them to do is more unique song structures. Just imagine an album where each song flows into eachother, where only a handful of songs even have choruses, sort of like Floyd's The Wall. I'm just imagining a minute long interlude of Mike rapping going directly into a metal riff in the next song, which transitions smoothly into a soft, acoustic song. The possibilities are endless. I think the only style they haven't done fully is a more acoustic style, similar to CoG and the Messenger. I'd love a long, flowing album, featuring a stripped back sound, complete with orchestration and all that, a bit of electronics when it's needed, and the occasional heavy song (like Rebellion heavy), maybe 2 or 3. That would be my dream album. I really think they can do it, I just don't know if they want to.

Yay for being completely off topic!

Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

If only A Thousand Suns was an actual thing that existed.

lime treacle

lime treacle You are not alone Über Member

^Precisely. :lol:

Iopia

Iopia Well-Known Member

Never heard of it.

EDIT: On a serious note, I love ATS, but outside of the interludes, the song structures for the most part are standard. Robot Boy, Blackout and The Catalyst have interesting structures, but that's 3/9 of the "songs" on the album. Of course the interludes count, but at the end of the day you still have a lot of songs that follow the same structure they've been doing since the 90s. They work amazingly well, they're great songs, but I'd like to see them go further. Also, I don't understand where you see metal riffs on that album, mike rapping interludes or acoustic songs (outside of the messenger). You can't call ATS a "stripped back" album either, that's the most heavily detailed album in their career. Again, I absolutely adore the album, but I think they can push out furter, especially in song structure.

TheZlajaZlo

TheZlajaZlo Closing LPA Super Member

First of all, let me just say that I wasn't a fan of this album when it came out, and I am not a fan of it one year later.
    I still kinda listen to it, but only because I love LP.
    There is nothing on this album that makes me go "hm, that is clever/interesting/something I haven't heard before"...

Captain-EO

:rofl:

Nicholas

Nicholas Well-Known Member

It still remains my least favorite Linkin Park studio album, that's not to say that I dislike it, but rather I simply enjoy their others more. However, the effort put forth by the band members this time around excels anything they've done previously. I would love more high energy songs, but exploring different genres next time around. I must say that just yesterday I had went back and played it from beginning to end, and it was far better than I had given it credit. They accomplished exactly what they wanted, it's a straight hard rock #VISCERAL album from beginning to end. It's well put together and flows extremely well. My only complaint is that at times I feel like it's #VISCERAL for the sake of it rather than having substance. So, it feels like they watered down the lyrics to fit the in your face theme. All of that is fine I suppose, but after becoming accustomed to the three albums before it I was thrown off a bit. It doesn't bother me though as much as it once did and actually, I find the lyrics in the album to be really fun. It's a really fun album, perfect for live renditions. Besides that, I know they are an ever evolving band, and I expect something completely different next time around.

Jovertop

Jovertop Well-Known Member

The Hunting Party is for me the best LP album along with ATS. like Chester said :)

Blake

He was talking about the song structures all being unique and unorthodox. A lot of songs on ATS still had regular song structures.