The Killers Third Album Thread

Discussion in 'Other Music' started by The_Cool_Cow, Jun 28, 2008.

The_Cool_Cow

The_Cool_Cow Well-Known Member

I decided to start a thread for The Killers third album that is similar to the one for Muse. I will post all news for the next Killers CD here, and feel free to comment.

Anyway, the news so far is that Stewart Price will be producing the new album, and they are hoping to have it released this fall. Some new songs may be debuting at Reading/Leeds festival. The only song that we have official word on yet is a track called "Tidal Wave", which is apparently influenced by "Drive-In Saturday" by David Bowie, and "I Drove All Night" by Roy Orbison. Recording should be finished before Reading/Leeds, though it could be extended.

The band has also chosen an artist to design a sleeve for the album:

You can look at some of his work on his website. He has a very interesting style, the portraits seem to be made of dots.

Anyway, I am extremely excited about this. I think that recording may be ahead of schedule, actually, considering that they are already designing artwork. Im not sure how far along bands usually are before they do this kind of stuff, though, so I may be wrong. This has quickly become my most anticipated album of the year, and I can not wait to see what The Killers come up with. Im sure that whatever it is, is will sound very good. I hope that they can beat Sams Town with this one. Anyway, what are your thoughts?

The_Cool_Cow

Wow, not as many Killers fans here as I thought. Well, whatever, im still going to update.

So, there are some song titles floating around the internet. These should be songs that are going to make it onto the album, as they are cobbled together from various interviews and stuff. They may change in the future, but for now this is the closest thing to a tracklist that we have, So, here it is, including the aforementioned "Tidal Wave":

- Emerald City
    - Neon Tiger
    - Burning Up
    - Tidal Wave
    - Dreamland
    - Metropolis

Those are some really strange song titles, but it could work.

The other piece of information, and the one I find most interesting, is the next one. An administrator on the official The Killers forum managed to talk to the bands manager. Here is what the manager said about the third album:

That is awesome! This sounds exactly like what I wanted out of the album, and I am very excited. What are your thoughts?

Shadester

Shadester (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

As a huge Killers fan, I anticipate this album greatly. Thanks for all the updates and stuff, appreciated. :D

Andrea

Andrea best friends. LPA Addicted VIP

Seconded.

I hope they play some new music at the show I am going to in August.

The_Cool_Cow

They should be playing some new stuff. The recording of the album should be done by then, so they'll probably at least play a few new songs.

Louis

Louis Message me if you need to talk. We love you all. LPA Team

Cool Cow, you and I seem to have a very similar taste in music.

I'm looking forward to the new album. The Killers are awesome.

Shadester

Shadester (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

I do hope this album turns out more like Sam's Town than Hot Fuss. Both were great but the former had that edge which made the songs classic.

Off-T: Who's that guitarist in your sig, Louis? Is he from MCR?

No Ace Just You

No Ace Just You Well-Known Member

Lol, Muse mate.

Shadester

Shadester (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Ah, OK. Thanks.

The_Cool_Cow

Yeah, we do seem to have similar music taste. Cool signature, by the way. Matthew Bellamy is awesome.

Do you also like Red Hot Chili Peppers, Weezer, or The Smashing Pumpkins? Because then we would pretty much have the exact same taste in music.

Finally, someone who preferred Sam's Town to Hot Fuss. I was feeling like I was the only one who enjoyed Sam's Town more. Granted, I havent heard all of Hot Fuss, but i've heard most of it. Maybe the last few songs are great, though.

Anyway, im hoping that this will be sort of a brighter version of Sam's Town. That more rock sound, but with the catchy pop of Hot Fuss. From what the manager said, its looking like the CD will turn out that way, so im excited.

Tonyshucraft

Tonyshucraft Member

For some reason they get old on me if I listen to them for too long. Their songs really don't make my mind move, which for me is apparently needed. I need to listen to songs that make me think.

gilley

gilley New Member

Maybe it's the style in which Brandon Flowers writes his lyrics. It's odd you say that though, because the way he writes, you have to think to understand the song meanings. Nothing is straight forward. "I took the shuttle on a shock-wave ride where the people on the pen pull the trigger for accolade. I took a bullet and I looked inside; running through my veins, an American mascaraed."

It also depends on which album you've listened to more, if you haven't listened to them both extensively. Sam's Town is definitely the more impressive album lyrically. The entire album is a commentary on American society, as well as telling what it was like growing up between a small town in Nevada and Las Vegas, while longing to escape to Europe, and finally telling the story of a boy named Adam who is dealing with doubters, a girl who can't make up her mind, an uncle with a cocaine problem, his own alcohol problem, the difficulty in taking a chance in life, a fear of flying/fears concerning mortality, all the while trying to get out and escape the place where he lives so that he may have a new beginning.

It's a really great album. I can't wait to see what direction he goes in with the third album. I'm just as anxious to hear the lyrics as I am the music itself.

The_Cool_Cow

Okay, some pretty important information came out today from MTV.com, so here it is:

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1591701/20080728/id_0.jhtml

Okay, some really important information there. First off, the album is now set for November, which is good because I was having doubts that it would come out this year. Also, the new songs are set to be played tonight, which means that as early as tomorrow we could be hearing some official information about these new songs. Im getting really excited for this album.

Andrea

November? Yes!

I see The Killers this Friday so I'm betting they will play some new material, hopefully. Ooh I am so excited! ^_^

The_Cool_Cow

Okay, The Killers did play two new songs at the show last night, entitled Neon Tiger and Spaceman. I've heard of Neon Tiger before, but they've never mentioned Spaceman, so im interested to find out if thats new or just a reworked version of a song they told us about, maybe Tidal Wave. So far, I havent seen any audio/video or in depth reviews of the two songs, but one member of the forum im on who went said that they were both great, and sounded like a combination of Hot Fuss and Sams Town. Im only partway through a 20 page thread about the event, though, so ill keep you posted as I read.

EDIT: Someone posted both new songs (and I think a performane of Sweet Talk) on YouTube.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2008
    Andrea

I had to spoil myself and check out those new songs on youtube. I am really feeling "Neon Tiger" the most. Good stuff and it's only making me even more excited for tomorrow night and their new album. w00t!

TheCustomers

TheCustomers New Member

After listening to Spaceman I am wondering if the song is the track that used to be called Emerald City. The lines "The Storm Maker says it ain't so bad, the dream makers gonna make you mad" and "It's all in my mind" have kind of a Wizard of Oz theme. Could be way off, but just a thought.

Andrea

New album title is "Day and Age". It's on nme.com and on the Killers message board.

Also, the concert that I went to this past Friday was incredible. Hearing "Sweet Talk" live made my entire night. Plus the new songs "Spaceman" and "Neon Tiger" was such a treat. Truly fantastic.

Here is a video I took of just part of "Neon Tiger":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAG7TcKm2pw

Sucky audio quality but it shows how close I was to Brandon, lol. Eeeek! I wish I could relive that night over and over again.

The_Cool_Cow

Dang it, I was gonna post that :lol:.

Anyway, I heard Spaceman, and while I like it, im not really blown away. It lacks that X-factor that most Killers songs have, in my opinion. You know, that thing that takes them from synth-rock band to something amazing. However, its a crappy live recording on YouTube, so im reserving judgement till the album comes out.

I cant say anything about Neon Tiger, because I didnt listen to it. Between Spaceman and whatever the single is gonna be, I will have listened to 2 songs before the album is out. I dont want that much spoiled, so im gonna try to not listen to any leaks. The album title "Day & Age" is apparently a lyric from that song, though, so maybe it will be the first single.

In regards to the title, I like it. It wasnt what I was expecting, but I think it sounds cool. It just seems to fit somehow.

The_Cool_Cow

Okay, some major news recently, Brandon has confirmed the album title as well as some tracks.

The album title is Day & Age, which was said before, but it was later un-confirmed by the band. It has now been re-confirmed in a video interview with NME. In that same video, he announced some track titles, as well as confirmed Spaceman and Neon Tiger being on the album. Here are the now confirmed tracks:

"Joyride"
    "I Can't Stay"
    "Losing Touch"
    "Goodbye, Travel Well"
    "Neon Tiger"
    "Spaceman"

Songs that have been previously mentioned, but have not yet been confirmed:

"Tidal Wave"
    "Emerald City"
    "Metropolis"
    "Burning Up"
    "Dreamland"
    "Vibrations"

Goodbye, Travel Well has been reported to be a "7-minute experimental epic", and Brandon said that Losing Touch is his favourite song from the new album.