The LPA Anime Thread

Discussion in 'The Living Room' started by SuperDude526, Apr 26, 2012.

SuperDude526

SuperDude526 Well-Known Member

Maybe I'm breaking some rule or something, but the old anime thread died and I'm not sure if it's here or another forum, but I believe we're not allowed to necro dead threads?

Anyway, this here's the anime chat. Feel free to discuss what you've been watching, ask for recommendations, etc. Personally I just finished watching ToraDora! which I've totally fallen in love with. They totally broke the mold with this one, making the ending that much more satisfying. And I love how it's about so many other things than boys meets girl, so it isn't pidgeonholed into that.

Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

Obligatory "The soundtrack to Cowboy Bebop is fucking amazing" post.

[youtube]n2rVnRwW0h8[/youtube]

Jesse

Jesse Out of the abyss. LPA Über VIP

I've watched too many anime to even remember what half of them were about.

Most recently I re-watched Castle in the Sky and read the first volume of GTO.

Minus

You have a horrible memory. :lol:

SuperDude526

Also I really hope they make another season of Haruhi Suzumiya or at least bring the light novels to the States. I may be alone in this opinion but I think that series is crazy good.

It's weird, I used to only be able to tolerate big fuck-off shonen series like Dragonball and Zoids, and suddenly I'm craving all these slice of life-esque manga and anime.

Minus

Clannad. Every time.

SuperDude526

I've heard that Clannad is very ecchi, is this true? Not that I have a problem with ecchi, as long as it's tasteful.

Jesse

I do.

Love Hina ftw.

Minus

Totally not ecchi at all.

Jesse

Anyone watch エルフェンリート (Elfien Lied) and if so what did you think of it?

iamsatan

iamsatan Well-Known Member

I used to watch a decent amount in my high school / college days. I haven't watched much since. I watched Naruto for 8 years, I think I'm like 50+ episodes behind, I'll probably catch up if I'm funemployed again.

My favorite series are: Beck: Mongolian Chop Squad, Samurai Champloo, Hajime No Ippo, Initial D, and Naruto.

Snail

Snail LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

I'm a devoted Dragonball fan with an assortment of figures, posters, books, plus the collection of the entire series, films, and other little doo-dads here and there. I'd tell you I'm an obsessed Dragonball geek, but everything listed now sits in the garage while the dvds are in my closet collecting dust.

Since I was young, I've probably only watched a handful of anime in its' entirety. Most, I don't even recall haha. I usually wait six to eight months and then go on a binge with Naruto:Shippuden, and Bleach. Shippuden continually impresses, but it is a shame with Bleach. The series has gotten so stale since the larger part of the Aizen-arc. At this point, I'm going to wait until the series has reached the end of its run so I can watch it all in one go. Naruto:Shippuden is the only series worth watching at the moment. The only thing anime-related I follow up on a regular basis is Tenjho Tenge through manga (the anime sucks balls), a comic I abandoned due to censorship a few years ago.

I'm too afraid to dive into different titles in fear of wasting my time with a few episodes that'd fail to impress. The mannerisms, plastic-looking people are enough of a detraction. Sampling the newer and recent series is even worse with the inclusion of 3D elements. Especially with sci-fi titles of recent!

Minus

I see you like shonen. I would be an idiot if I didn't tell you to watch/read One Piece.

Jesse

One Piece is the apotheosis of the never ending story.

Minus

It's also a damn good shonen. The best one out as of now. And I say this being a fan of Naruto and Dragonball.

Snail

Snail LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

Haha! I'm not a huge shonen fan by any means, but the genre is fun. I kept up with One Piece years ago and haven't caught up since. I believe I didn't even reach ep.100 by the time I dropped it. It wasn't as entertaining as I hoped it would be, but from what I hear, the series only gets better.

Another thing. Is it just me, or did Nami's boobs progress in size since I last watched the series?

SuperDude526

Oh, well alright then, I'll check it out.

Oh! Another one I forgot to mention, which has quite a bit of potential: Sakamichi No Apollon, which I think translates to Kids on the Block or something. Takes place in the Sixties in Okinawa I think, about this rich kid who begins playing jazz with this delinquent in his class.

Edit: Just got back from watching the new episode of that and HOLY CRAP. They really know how to string ya along.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2012
    Jordan

Jordan Secret Robot

I am also watching Sakamichi No Apollon. If it needs to be sold to anyone else, it's the same director AND composer as Cowboy Bebop so.....

SuperDude526

@ Clannad: Story seems good enough, but it's quite a step down visually from ToraDora! it seems. Or even from Rosario + Vampire II, for that matter.

Jordan

Jordan Secret Robot

Clannad is shit, but it's worth watching so you can watch Clannad: After Story which will make you cry, and isn't a typical high school harem.

That was a bit harsh, I enjoyed Clannad the first time I watched it, went back and it seemed pretty lame.